commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bill Harvey
Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Hi Bob and Janet and evryone.

Lovely day in Oban today. The autumn colours show God's creation at its best.

Wishing everyone safe travel.

Put on your winter woolies Bob and Janet.

Look forward to seeing you all next weekend.

Best wishes.

Bill
Oban Times 30 October 2008.

Photo of Commando memorial in with the following print:-

Fallen but not forgotten at Spean Bridge.

The Commando Veterans Association will be marching to Spean Bridge Commando Memorial on Rememberance Sunday next weekend. In 2005 the Commando Association stood down, however the Commando Veterans Association immediately took over and continue to gather and remember lost collegues. The picture above shows the service after hundreds marched to the memorial for Rememberance Sunday last year.

Bill Harvey Dunbeg near Oban
Oban Times 30 October 2008.

Photo of Commando memorial in with the following print:-

Fallen but not forgotten at Spean Bridge.[/b]

The Commando Veterans Association will be marching to Spean Bridge Commando Memorial on Rememberance Sunday next weekend. In 2005 the Commando Association stood down, however the Commando Veterans Association immediately took over and continue to gather and remember lost collegues. The picture above shows the service after hundreds marched to the memorial for Rememberance Sunday last year.

Bill Harvey Dunbeg near Oban
Hello Stephane

Nice to hear from you. What a pity you cannot make it but I know you will be there in spirit.

What dates are the commerations in Normandy and Dieppe in 2009? I would like to come over in 2009 depending on dates.

Best wishes.

Bill
Hello Steph

How are you? Save travel to Flushing. I have been trying to send emails but they keep coming back.

I am going to Spean Bridge this year.

Best wishes.

Bill
If any Marine or Army Commandos are going to Flushing this year the following details of the commemorations.
Here is the programme of the commemorations Walcheren 2008

Friday 31 october,

19:00hrs. Reception at town hall Middelburg

Saturday 1 November,

10:30hrs. Commemoration at Arnemuiden on the Sloedam (Causeway)

Sunday 2 november

No commemorations

Monday 3 November,

10.30hrs. Commemoration at Vlissingen on the "commandoweg"
14:00hrs. Commemoration at Westkapelle - the landing monument "Erica" and "tank"
15:00hrs. Commemoration at Westkapelle - the civil cementry (lighthouse)

This is the official part, there will also be some commemorations of several "groups"
on their own.

Jochem, my Dutch friend will be laying the wreath for No4 Commando in Flushing as I cannot get over this year.

Bill Harvey
Pete

Pass on thanks to your sister.

Bill Harvey
Hi John

This would be the Ist Special Service Brigade. A collection of various Commando Units. F Troop would be the Troop he was with in No4 Commando.

Bill Harvey
Hi Pete

Many thanks for this. have not read it all yet. My Dad was at lofoton with No4.

Bill Harvey
Hi John

Ask your Grandfather if he knew my Father Gunner William (Bill) Harvey who was killed in action at Flushing on 1 November 1944. Dad was in A Troop.

Welcome back to the forum.

Bill Harvey
Geoff

Many thanks for all the Committee and you do on our behalf. Wishing you all the best in what are delicate matters.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey
Pete

This sounds a good idea, but if the emphasis should not only be on membership but associate membership to encourage relatives to join.

Bill Harvey
Hello

Many of us grew up with the Commando Association and they did a wonderful job for us who had fathers killed in action. They helped Mum and me go out to see Dad's grave in Holland when I was about 17. Let us not forget the work they have done throughout the years. I think they made the wrong decision to stand down and that is why I am an associate member of the CVA. I also think that they have made the wrong decision not to give their members information about the CVA. They could have done this by issuing a letter to all their members which would not have broken the Data Protection Act. I believe that they should still do this with the CVA paying the postage! I know the trouble I had trying to find out about Dad when Mum died. It was only with the help of a few surviving Commandos and some very good Dutch friends I was able to piece things together. You only need to look at the posts to our site to see how many relatives are trying to find out about the heroes who did not say very much of what they did in the War. Perhaps this post could be past onto the executive officers of the Commando Association asking them, as they have done over the years, to help relatives find out about members of their family who served during World War 2.

Bill Harvey
Geoff

That's a good idea. Colin Price will be up as well as me.

Bill Harvey
Thanks. Pete

Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger