commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bill Harvey
Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Hello

My name is Bill Harvey, dad was in A Troop of No4, KIA Flushing. I will check my Dieppe list and let you know if your dad was there.

Best wishes in your search.

Bill
From memory most of the troop diarys in No4 had an person allocated to do the diary.

Bill Harvey
Glenda

I have checked the list I hold of No4 Commando who were at Dieppe and cannot find any record of your father.

Bill Harvey (Son of No4 Commando).

Henny

Welcome to the CVA site. My name is Bill Harvey whose father is buried in Bergen op Zoom and was killed in action liberating Flushing with No4 Commando.
The roll of honour for No4 in Dunkirk shows two officers killed in action Lieut J A MacDonald and Capt R G Pettiward.

Bill harvey
Bob

Was so nice to meet you and your good lady. I am waiting for my family photo experts to put all our photos together. I am also waiting on some photos of Flushing and the Liberation Commerations there.

Hope you can make it next year.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey
Lin

Normandy must have been his first action as his name is not listed in the men who fought at Dieppe with No4.

Bill Harvey (Son of a No4 Commando).
Stephane

Was good to see you also. We attended Spean Bridge and bumped into a Irishman who was with the French Commando in Flushing unfortunatly did not get his name. Ron & Jochem are putting some photos together from Walcheren will pass them on.

Best wishes to all the family.

Bill
I went representing some of the relatives of No4 Commando. The programme is arranged by the Foundation Support Liberators Walcheren 1944. They arrange our lunches and take us around the events in a bus. They do an excellent job. On the 31 October there was a reception in Middelburg for the veterans and families. I missed this because of flights. On 1 November we went to a commorations in landing beaches and civilian cemetery at the Lighthouse in Westkapelle. The civilian cemetery is for those killed during the war. Following lunch we went to the civilian cemetery in Domburg. This was followed by the unveiling of the 41 Royal Marine Commando monument in Domburg. Met Stephane Saint Martin who had come up overnight from France just for the day. On 2 November we went to the British and Canadian War Cemetries at Bergen op Zoom. My Dad is buried there along with most British casualties. Then went for lunch at the Dutch Commando Barracks at Roosendaal. When you look at the buildings around the square you find the names "Achnacarry" "Uncle Beach" and "Eastborne" all relating to where the Commandos trained and landed. Weskapelle again to the museum to remember those who served in the landing crafts. They now have landing craft there. The 3 November there were Commerations at Arnemuiden and Sloedam which included the 20 anniversery of the unveiling of the Canadian Memorial Tabletstone. The afternoon we moved to Flushing (Vlissingen) for a Commemeration at the Commando Memorial and the Scots Memorial. This was led by the Inter Scaldis Pipes and Drums Vlissingen. I laid a wreath for No4 Commando. After we had coffee in Grandcafe Arsenaal. Following that two Dutch friends took me the way my Dad would have taken following the landing up to the point where he was killed near Bellemy Park. 5 November was a free day and I went over by ferry to Berskins where No4 embarked from.
Bill Harvey.
Geoff

I have just returned from the Commemerations in Flushing and Zeeland. I was telking to Major Jimmy Dunning before I left and laid a wreath for No4 Commando in Flushing.

I would recommend both books.

Bill
Hello Di

There has never been any restriction in putting in plaques. I have one in for my father who was killed in action in Flushing with No4 Commando.

Bill Harvey
Just to say that I am going to Flushing this year and will be laying a wreath for No4 in Flushing and visiting Dad's grave at Bergen-op-Zoom.

If anyone is going let me know.

Bill Harvey
Vicky

There was a Sargent E J Lewis of the Welch Rgt in No4. A Gnr H Evans of the RA in No4. Got these names from the Dieppe list of No4.

Bill Harvey (Son of Bill Harvey No4).
Stephane

Next time I am down in Troon I will see if I can get you some of the relatives addresses.

Your list is not very clear.

Bill
Daniel

I have the No4 photo but it is in a frame and would be difficult to copy. I doubt if you could pick anyone out of the photo as there are that many men in it.

As a general comment can any of the new comrades who are down at Kew research for Daniel.

Bill
Shirley

I am Bill Harvey son of Bill Harvey of No4 Commando who was killed in Flushing. I would suggest that you try the Salvation Army as they are very good at tracing lost relatives.

Do you have the exact date of birth of Ben Fletcher / Parry? It may be helpful.

Best wishes.

Bill

Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger