commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Gathering - Fort William November 2008  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Our Remembrance Gathering for 2008 will take place over the week 5-10 November, we are again hoping to have record numbers attending. The school concert, annual draw, Highland Cadets parade, AGM, dinner and Sunday parades will remain as previous years. The Secretary is working on an idea for a visit on the Thursday (something similar but totally different from last year!). We are also hoping to have an energetic display of Commando Fighting Knife techniques by Maestro Paul Macdonald of the Macdonald Academy of Arms, possibly on the Saturday afternoon prior to the AGM.

Bookings for the Alexandra and Ben Nevis hotels should be made (quickly) through the Secretary, rates for CVA members as last year - (please do not double book through hotels as this is causing some confusion). The coaches this year will again be pay-as-you-ride rather than pre-pay. We are hoping to have an excellent representation from both WW2 and post-war Commandos, however the Commando Brigade will be deployed in Afghanistan - again. Looking forward to seeing you there. UWC

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/03/2009 20:39:54

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
lushershouse
Forum Member

would you rather prizes that you can post again ??

Take care, see you at FW,loads of love Denise and Nick :wink:
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Prizes that can be posted would be great Denise. If anyone else has prizes they would like to donate please feel free. All of the draw monies go towards adding pavers etc to the CVA Commando Memorial.

Many kind regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Everything is now coming together for Fort William, only a few weeks away. Our trip to Oban on the Thursday is now confirmed, our visit to Achnacarry on the Friday morning and Lochaber School on the Friday also confirmed. Usual business on the Saturday with the Highland Cadets, a Commando fighting knife techniques demonstration and our draw, all in the Alexandra on the Saturday afternoon with the AGM for CVA members only at 1630.

Only a few rooms remain for the Alex, first come first served. Don't forget your raffle tickets, more available from the Secretary if needed. Donation of prizes also very welcomed.

See you all there! Weather booked as last year!

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oban Times 30 October 2008.

Photo of Commando memorial in with the following print:-

Fallen but not forgotten at Spean Bridge.[/b]

The Commando Veterans Association will be marching to Spean Bridge Commando Memorial on Rememberance Sunday next weekend. In 2005 the Commando Association stood down, however the Commando Veterans Association immediately took over and continue to gather and remember lost collegues. The picture above shows the service after hundreds marched to the memorial for Rememberance Sunday last year.

Bill Harvey Dunbeg near Oban

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi All. We are here enjoying the wonderful hospitality again and looking forward to everyone joining us.

Denise - THERE IS SNOW ON THE MOUNTAIN TOPS.

Janet & Bob
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey Bob will I need my fleecy trousers ? Last year I froze!
cya soon

SE Donnison
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

Dearest Bob and Janet.

So glad you have made it there safely.....would you just have a mosey up to the top of Nevis and grab me some snow !!

Will see you both soon, actually we look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Take care
Denise and Nick :D xx

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/11/2008 12:00:30

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob & Janet,
Pleased that you made it over despite the problems you had with travel arrangements.
I'm really looking forward to meeting you both and, of course, everyone else - Sue & I should be there on Friday afternoon...

I know I've promised a few people a beer or two - I hope that they'll take the Global Credit Crunch into account!! ) :D

Take care,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

my wife Hazel and I will get there early friday morning , hopefully before breakfast ,travelling thru the night. We should wear name tags so we can know people we havent met. Cya all soon

SE Donnison
[MSN]
jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi bob & janet,
looking forward to buying you 2 a pint on friday night, would liked to have been there friday morning as planned but thanks to sleazy jet my flights from spain cancelled.jim webster

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob and Janet,
This has no relevance at all, but do Daffodils grow in Canada?. I await your reply. It seems you wont have to buy a drink all week. See you Weds,
Regards Ron and Bev
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob and Janet and evryone.

Lovely day in Oban today. The autumn colours show God's creation at its best.

Wishing everyone safe travel.

Put on your winter woolies Bob and Janet.

Look forward to seeing you all next weekend.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What time is the bus going to Achnacarry on Friday and what is the ETA. I would like to come from Dunbeg by car.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Bill, I envisage the coach arriving in Oban around 1300. Activities attached.
 Filename Week Activities.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  609 time(s)

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger