commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bill Harvey
Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Hi Pete

I have a picture of No4 Commando in Brassie Street School Troon with the Green Beret on following the Dieppe raid on 19 August 1942. Mum said that this was the first time they wore the beret.

Great article.

Bill Harvey
Pete

If you are talking to John Power again ask him if he knew my Dad Gunner William (Bill) Harvey, A Troop No 4 Commando, who was killed in action at Flushing on 1 November 1944.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey
Rick

Extract from the Fighting Fourth recounting Doc Patterson - "The first wounded man of No4 that Patterson saw was little Cpl Mullen, the popular intelligence corporal, unit inventor and "unofficial war artist". The little man had a very brave heart - he was submerged up to the chin. Patterson and one of the orderlies cut away Mullen's rucksack and dragged him to the water's edge. Then Patterson felt a smack across his bottom as if someone had hit him with a big stick, fortunatly it hit nothing important. Less fortunate was Mullen; he died there and then, he was beyond help".

Bill Harvey
Daniel

No4 sailed on the LSIs Princess Astrid and Maid of Orleans. There is a picture in Donald Gilchrist's book "Don't Cry For Me" of commandos leaving and LCT. I have no found any numbers yet but will keep looking.

Bill Harvey Son of Bill Harvey A troop.
Rick

I was looking at Donald Gilchrist's book. There is a mention of Brian Mullen of how he had disigned a 100 foot rope to be dropped from planes to be used as a ready made cliff-climbing ladder. The book records "Mullen drew sketches and plans to illustrate the gadget". It was never used because of lack of ships, aircraft and men.

Bill Harvey
Rick

I have found the sketches as follows:-
In Maj. James Dunning's book "The Fighting Fourth" shows two sketches - LCAs approaching Orange Beach One and withdrawal from Orange Beach Dieppe.
In Will Fowler's book "The Commandos At Dieppe - The withdrawal sketch and the rescue of the airman.
In Donald Gilchrist's book "Don't Cry for Me" a sketch going through an enemy minefield on the night of 18-19 August 1942 by Brian Mullen, Intelligence Section, No4 Commando.

Hope this is helpfull.

Bill Harvey
Rick

I have not seen that one but it looks as if it is the same artist as the one I saw.

I will check my Commando books to see if there is a picture there.

Thanks.

Bill
Hello Ian

My name is Bill Harvey and my Dad was in A troop of No4 and was killed in action on 1 November 1944 in Flushing. It would be good if you got in contact with Stephane who no doubt will be able to answer your questions.
If you do get an answer and directions it would be good to post them on the CVA site so others could benefit.
So glad that you managed to get to the memorial.
Best wishes. Bill
Rick

Best wishes with you search.

Bill Harvey
Hello

My name is Bill Harvey and my Dad was in A troop of No4 Commando.

From the list of those who served on the Dieppe raid I found a L/CPL. B J Mullen R.E. 2075499.

I also remember seeing a picture of the Dieppe riad sketched by one of No 4 but I cannot remember his name.
Stephane

Cannot make it this year. Must get over in 2009.

Bill
Stephane

Cannot read the list try scanning it on separatly.

Check your personal messages.

Best wishes.

Bill
Hi

I was checking my Dieppe list and there were two No4 Commandos named Webb. Pte D H Webb R. Berks and Capt G G H Webb RA.

Hope this helps.

Bill Harvey
Bob

I live a rather busy life and I know that you have compiled a lot of information and put it on the site.
Would you like a copy of the list of No4 who served at Dieppe?

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey
Mark

I have checked the list of those serving at Dieppe and your Dad is not on it. This list was compiled in July 1990. This does not mean that he was not in No4 as replacements came in after Dieppe.
I would suggest that you contact Stephane when he comes back on line.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger