commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Hi all,
I need to find 'Elim Camp' that my Late Father was in around January 1946.

My sister has sent me some WW2 letters and the address on one of them is:
485 Flotilla
Elim Camp
c/o FMO Singapore
Malaya.

Dad was a Royal Navy Commando and around this time Mountbatten was in Singapore.

Any help welcome.

Regards
Hi Steve,
Thank you taking the time to look.
Regards
Hi Steve,

Could you look up:

Name: J. W. P. Ellingford
Army Number: 2090929
Regiment: Royal Engineers
POW Number: 19766
Camp Number: XX-B.

He was/is my Late Mother's Brother

Regards
Hi Lawrence,
I have sent you an email. Let me know on here if you do not receive it. Feel free to copy any of my postings.
Regards
Hi,
Peter Lee who researches HMS Prinses Beatrix and her sistership HMS Queen Emma did not know that he has a possible Brian Mullins ship drawing.
Could I impose on Pete to send a copy to Mary Crawford for me so that she could look at the signature?

Attched is the whole drawing and a close up of the signature inverted to make it stand out.

Regards
Hi,
A bit of a long shot but a good friend of mine is a Rodaway.

http://tonyrod.webs.com/ is his web site.

Regards
Hi,

Re "The only one I haven?t seen before is the picture of HMS Prins Albert".

I am in contact with a surviving member of the crew and he has also stated that he bought one of the ship and named Brian Mullen as the artist.

Regards
Hi all,
I am still here but have been very busy putting together a photo-history of HMS Armadillo, the Commando training base.

A good friend of mine has tracked down two more original huts for a total of four.

Also just finished locating the 'Prinses Marie-Jose' she was renamed a few times and was a barracks ship in Iceland during WW2 as HMS Baldur.

Regards
Hi,

I have just been sent another picture drawn by BJ Mullen.

Regards
Hi,

I have tried inverting the image so that the background is black and the writing is white and used a hi band sharpening filter and that is the best I can do.

Regards
Hi Stéphane,

I shall have to ask my Aunt next time I phone here.

Regards
I do not recall those names but I will look at the family history chart

Regards
Thanks for that link Pete, it makes interesting reading.

Strange thing is that in another letter which I am retyping, because most of the letters are written in pencil, he also mentions being in the Nepal area. Walking along he sees a shrine with a lit candle, looks around and sees nothing as far as the eye can see and says to himself I wonder who lit that candle.

I have found that if I scan the letters and put them into Photoshop, tidy them up and then invert the black and white image, the writing is then white against a black background and makes it easier to read.

Regards
If I may butt into your thread

In August of 1945 my Late Father was "drafted to India with Pontoon Unit 27 and arrived Chembur Camp, 1945."

I am slowly piecing together his war service which has not been easy owing to him being a "Special Service chap"

The words in " are a direct quote from his letter. My younger sister has sent me all his wartime letters and I am reading them eagerly.

Regards
I am rather intrigued by this name for obvious reasons but I was wondering if he was a relative.

SMALLMAN kia 06 06 44

Regards

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger