commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Hi,

I will go with that.

Thank you Gentlemen for your help and time....

It all fits together and if I can get permission from Jim to post the whole letter I will.

Regards
Hi Nick,

I have attached the sections of the letter and I have underlined the particular word.

Regards
Hi,

I am typing the memoirs of Jim Speed Commander D.S.C. R.A.N. Retired.

He is ex R Commando Group and served at HMS Armadillo on Loch Long and HMS Lochailort'

I am having problems with a couple of words and hope the collective minds of CVA can help.

1/
Posted to a new Naval Base in Scotland or C??. It was HMS Armadillo on Loch Long.
I think it might be Cowal.

2/
November 1943 we arrived at Strath?? in the snow country of North Scotland.

Regards

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.

It seems I now have a home for the Plaque.

I sent an email to double check on their requirements.

I will keep you posted.

Regards
Hi,

Thank you all, Gentlemen!

It now feels like a big weight has been lifted.

As I said to Nick I will now have a good thinking session and decide what to do.

Regards
Hi,

I have been trying for most of a year to get permission to add a small plaque to the Royal Navy Commando Memorial in Ardentinny, Scotland at the site of the former Training Base, HMS Armadillo.

The Plaque is 6x4 inches / 15x15cms and can be made of gun metal, brass or stainless steel and has four names and a badge on it.

I was informed by the local Council that the site was run by the Forestry people.

They in turn have informed me that although it is Forestry land I would need the Royal Navy's permission.

Every department I emailed came back with the reply SEP. Someone else's problem.

After an email to the UK Prime Minister I was finally contacted by the Royal Navy and the result was that they have no say in the matter and all is ok with them.

However, when I emailed the Forestry people in Ardentinny they said no! Completely opposite to the original reply.

Not to give up I contacted the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge as they have a Remembrance Garden for Plaques, Ashes and flowers.

They refused on the grounds that it is for Army Commandos only!

I then sent them a list of all the different unit of Army, Navy, Police and Air Force that had been trained as Commandos.

I am still waiting for their reply.

Not so much Red Tape as Rainbow Coloured.

Regards
Hi,

My Dad, William Henry Smallman, was in Oboe Group.

After the landing on Elba he was sent to Fox Group,

I was going to write that's all I have but the brain kicked in.

Attached is a list from Ken Oakley and he said that the mens names that are circled came from Oboe.

My Dad Crossed the Bar some twenty years ago, Ken Oakley has gone and I do not know about the others.

Regards

Hi,

In my seemingly never ending research I have another elusive lead.

Again very little information , but on the offchance....

Name of Pygott
Commando Instructor in England
Transferred to India

I will be searching the Internet but any leads will be followed.

Regards
Hi Pete,

Brilliant!

And you posted the lot..that's good.

Regards
Hi Pete,
As requested:

Certificate of the Service of
SMALLMAN, William Henry JX 380389

Volunteered: 25 June 1942
Ordinary Seaman
HMS Collingwood 25 June 1942 - 16 September 1942
HMS Victory 17 September 1942 - 26 September 1942
HMS Collingwood 26 September 1942 - 15 October 1942
HMS Victory 15 October 1942 - 28 December 1942
Quebec 29 December 1942 - 24 March 1943
Quebec 25 March 1943 - 31 August 1943
Copra 1 September 1943 - 9 June 1946
Able Seaman
O Commando
Torpedo Rating at Greenock whilst serving at HMS Armadillo
In reserve for Sicily and Anzio Landings. Dad did take part in the Anzio Landing. Ref: Letter from Alf Fairs, O Commando and personal memory.
Landed at Elba.
O Commando disbanded on return to the U.K. due to casualties .
Transferred to F Commando .
Stationed at Brighton, Sussex.
RN Sassoon Barracks 1-8 March
485 Flotilla Singapore, Eastern Theatre.
Bombay Harbour Explosion.

Harry Smallman, Fred Oakley and Alf Fairs were in O Commando. Ken Oakley was in F Commando. Fred was Ken's Brother, the Oakleys and the Smallmans were all from Shropshire and are well known family groups.

Regards

Hi Pete,

That is good re Brian Mullins.

Re the group photograph, the blurb with it is:

Two Royal Navy Commando Beachmasters, veterans of landings in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy, relax in a London Pub after marching at the Cenotaph. Ken Oakley (87) sits in front of his son Keith with his Granddaughter to his right. Ken's comrade Jim Watson stands behind him to his left. They were the last two survivors to march at the Cenotaph - a joy to talk to and an inspiration to us all. They were amongst the first ashore on invasion beaches to marshall the arriving landing craft and forward men and equipment from the beachhead.

Will get back to you on Dad's service history , it's nearly 01.00 here in Oz.

Regards
Hi Steve,

I must be getting old, I forgot about that webpage.

Anyway all is done and a good job done by yourself.

By the way, what about Brian Mullin?

Regards
Hi Pete,

I will get back to you with the full details.

Thank you for your time and trouble.

Regards
Hi Peter,

Reference Ken Oakley:

H:\Backup Files\1\1\V0\I\Crew\Ken Oakley +\BBC - WW2 People's War - Ken Oakley's D-Day Royal Navy Commando.mht

British seaman served aboard HMS Neptune in Mediterranean and Atlantic, 1940-1941.

Served aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth in Mediterranean, 1941 including sinking in Alexandria harbour, 12/1941.

Served with F Commando, Royal Naval Commandoes Combined Operations in GB, Mediterranean, 1942-1944.

Served with Beachmaster's bodyguard on Queen Red One Sector, Sword Beach, Normandy, 1944.

IS this enough?

Re my Dad:
Photo attached.

Regards

Hi,

If I could add my Dad to the list?

William Henry Smallman

06-07-1920 - 04-07-1991

Royal Navy in WW2
Trained as a Royal Navy Commando at HMS Armadillo
Served on HMS Prins Albert
Shipped to India and all parts East.

Would it be possible to add his good friend who was a Royal Navy Beach Commando?

Regards

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger