commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Hi,
I have just got the ok to use George's photograph from his Brother, my Uncle, Terry Elligford.

"By all means post the picture of George. I hope it helps someone somewhere put a face to a name.Terry"

It has taken some time to find him but even better is that there are four, yes 4, new relatives. Plus Terry has also put me on to other family members.

So don't give up on a search the answer is out there somewhere.

Regards
Final update on George.
My Uncle Terry sent me a couple of photographs of Geoge and his brothers.
As soon as I have sorted them out I shall post a copy.
Regards
Hi,

March 9, 2011. It took just one man and a large digger only a couple of hours to demolish a 70+ year-old piece of history which was the last remaining corrugated long hut at the former HMS Armadillo, Glenfinart Bay, Ardentinny. Work clearing the site will probably continue until the end of the week.

http://ardentinny.org/category/news/

Regards
Hi,

This is from a Negative I found in my Late Father's ditty box.

Dad is the one in the 'Aussie' slouch hat, I don't know who the other two are.

He was in India and Rangoon during World War Two and in one of his letters he writes that he was being kept back because of the Indian Navy Mutiny as he was a 'Special Forces' man.

He was at HMS Armadillo and was trained as a Navy Commando but what else he got up to I don't know.

So if any one can recognize the race of the boy it would help to pin him down, so where is this?

Bonus points will be given if you know the boy's name!

Regards
Hi,

An update to the search for George Ellingford.

An amazing piece of luck! I have found George's younger brother, my Uncle, Terry.

He is still alive and I am in contact with him. Best news is that he has promised to send a photograph of George and to explain the family tree on his side.

Terry also said that there are two more Uncles in the family as well. So what started as a search to find one person has gone on to provide me with a total of four new relatives.

Regards
Hi Pete,

What a good job on that gallery for L/Cpl Mullen! Well done!...

Regards
Re:
Name: J. W. P. Ellingford
Army Number: 2090929
Regiment: Royal Engineers
POW Number: 19766
Camp Number: XX-B.

Just an update for you. I hit a bit of good luck in finding another Uncle and not only is he still alive but also is prepared to help.
I noticed in a book, BBC Book D-Day 6.6.44, on page 73 that the POW card has a photograph of the prisoner.
Would you know if all POWs had their photograph taken?
Regards
Hi,
Now that is brilliant. And it is very kind of you to send me the link.

Regards...

Hi,
Just a bit of an update into this search. A fellow living in Arnhem saw one of my many 'wanted' ads for information and he sent this little snippet.

a Sgt. Wilkes (5th Platoon ? B Coy) mentions Ellingford in a letter he wrote as part of the Casualty Reports inquiry. In his letter he states: ?Re [regarding] Pte. Ellingford + WOII Scott, also of B Coy, I am afraid that their fates are still unknown to me.?

He is trying his sources for further information and I have two more forms to fill out to get George's Records. I have to prove that I am a Relative so part of this is a hand written letter to my Late Mother from George in which is written his Service Number.

The International War Graves Commitee has sent me a Certificate of Death as there is no known grave. They are 97% positive that George has finally found a home.
Regards
Hi Nic,
I get a lot of help in this website but now and again I get lucky in my never ending search through the Internet.

Can you imagine doing research using the Post Office?

Regards
Hi,
I had a little bit of luck with George's history:

Private George E Ellingford ? September 21st 1944
Son of John Edward and Mary Ann Ellingford, of Brighton, Sussex
Served with 2nd Parachute Battalion.
Private Ellingford joined Airborne Forces and completed Parachute Course 37 at RAF Ringway in mid- November 1942.
From which he was posted to the Assault Pioneers, 2nd Parachute Battalion. Records indicate he served in North Africa, and then later in Italy during 1943.
By September 1944, Private Ellingford was part of the Assault Platoon, HQ Company, 2nd. Parachute Battalion and took part in the Battle of Arnhem, during Operation Market Garden.

Private Ellingford died on 21 September 1944, aged 21 years old.

He is now commemorated on the Memorial at Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, near Nijmegen.

Decorations

1945 1939-45 War Star

1945 Africa Star, with 1st Army Clasp, North Africa (Operation Torch)

1945 Italy Star, Italy

1945 France and Germany Star, Arnhem (Operation Market Garden)

1945 Defence Medal

Listed Operations

11/11/1942 ? 31/05/1943 North Africa (Operation Torch)

09/09/1943 ? 01/05/1945 Italy

17/09/1944 ? 25/09/1944 Arnhem (Operation Market Garden)

Airborne Forces service history

1942-1944 2nd Battalion. The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA), (Private)

Italy

North Africa (Operation Torch).

Regards

Hi Richard Morgan,

I thought I recognised your photograph.

Check this one from my own collection.

Regards
Hi Steve,
I have attached three photographs for you.

The original POW card
Two of a mystery soldier and as it is my Late Mother standing by his side it must have been important enough for her to keep them.

In 1952 John and family emigrated to Adelaid Australia on board the P&O Mooltan. I have a story in the main newspaper of Adelaide and will keep you informed of any results.

Regards
A good job there Pete.

At least the the base/barracks exsist.

I'll keep looking.

Regards
Hi,
Thank you both for the leads, I'll get onto the Internet and have a search.
Regards

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger