commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Hi,

Does anyone have information on the builder/designer for the present Memorial at HMS Armadillo?

To answer my own question:

This information is from a letter sent to Tommy Hamilton from Ken Oakley chairman of the R.N. Commando Association dated 15/02/01, "Ted hinchcliffe made the memorial stone (crossed the bar Jan 01) he was very proud of making it out of Yorkshire stone".

Ken asked Tommy in the same letter if he would paint in the letters which he did, his son David refreshed the lettering about two years ago.

The location of the memorial used to be outside the front door of the old FC office, and before we demolished it, I moved it to a safe location about 30 metres away.

The new cairn was built by FC workers Stephen Cooper and Ben Blowers in time for the Remembrance Sunday 2013.

The people of Ardentinny have always kept it tidy and placed flowers and bulbs in pots as an act of remembrance.

Regards
Hi all,

Firstly and most sad news is of Tom Hamilton's passing. Sleep well old mate.

Secondly Sorry Nick I have only just got vertical again after a minor flair up put me in the sick room. But if you go to:

http://ardentinny.org/2015/06/13/ardentinny-d-day-memorial-plaque-unveiled/#comment-289064

This is the much shortened version of the day due to bad weather. I did email the C.O. of the Bugler for his work on the day.

Thirdly these photographs have just been emailed to me from Ian Adams via Tony Rodaway.

Regards
For Nick,

I followed the link to Facebook and left a message.
Thank you for your help.

Regards
10/ WW2 to the Royal Navy. Merchant Navy and Royal Marines

The last one.

If I have put them in the wrong place, I apologize.

Regards
7/ Wall at the side of tower to the Cockleshell Heroes

8/ Dunoon Memorial plaque to WW1 Soldiers

9/ Steps up to Memorial with poppy crosses on each rail
4/ WW1 plaque to WW1 and subs

5/ Memorial Tower from the West side of Holy Loch

6/ Looking North
Hi,
Tony Rodaway has computer problems so he has asked me to post these photographs for him.

1/ The wreaths are those we took to Ardentinny,

2/ Memorial to the men of Sandbank and Ardenaham

3/ Plaque to Submarines that never returned to Holy Loch

4/ WW1 plaque to WW1 and subs

More to come. Regards
Hi,

An update:

http://ardentinny.org/2015/06/13/ardentinny-d-day-memorial-plaque-unveiled/#comment-289064

Not the best of weather!

Regards
Hi,

Sad news.

Attached is a photograph of the man himself.

Regards
Hi Pete,

Permission to copy one of your photographs.

One of the men could, just maybe Billy Rodaway and I would like to send it to his Nephew for a positive ID.

Regards
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your help, time and offer over what became a stressful few months.

Getting everything sorted has been a bit of a rush but we are not taking any chances that a change of mind will occur.

So far the Royal Navy, Scottish Highland Council and the UK Prime Minister along with the Ardentinny newspaper have all been contacted with the good news.

I did agonize some time about who was going to place it on the Memorial and I hope you understand that one of the names is Billy Rodaway who was Tony Rodaway's Uncle and a crew member of HMS Prins Albert, so it does mean a lot to him

So roll on the 6th. June which was a date deliberately chosen.

I now have only two major projects to go! One is under way to confirm and photograph the wreck of a sistership, HMS Prince Philippe and the trickier one is the wreck of the Prinses Astrid, She also was a sistership and served with distinction in World War Two, she lies just off Dunkerque, France.

Regards and thank, my friend.

Hi,

Just had word from Tony Rodaway that the Plaque is a go!

" The unveiling of a Remembrance Plaque will be on the 6th June in Ardentinny Scotland where the Commando's were trained, in honour of all the R.N.Commando's and all Crew who sailed on the HMS PRINS ALBERT, a LANDING SHIP INFANTRY (S) and her crew, and naming R.N,Commandos Harry Smallman, and Ken Oakley and ship's crew
PO/ Robert Bull and Tony's uncle Seaman William (Billy) Rodaway. , who will all be Remembered with Honour, having all sailed over the bar after surviving the war"

Tony has promised video and still shots.

Regards
Hi,

Another update for you.

I have finished the design of the plaque and sent it to England via Email.

It's over to Tony Rodaway who is taking care of the next steps to get the plaque to the Engraver.

Regards
Hi all,

I did say that I would keep you posted so here is the latest.

I was just about ready to pull the plug on the idea of getting a plaque made and sent over to the UK. A good friend, Tony, even offered to get the plaque made in England so as to get it on a Memorial.

Tonight, my Oz time, I received this email:

I know you have been all round the houses with your very simple request,
so if you send me the plaque I will ensure that it is fitted to the new
cairn monument at Ardentinny.

So shortly I will be sending an email to the chappie who sent it from the Forestry.

Regards
Hi,

Checking on the name Strathpeffer I came across a reference on another Commando's memoirs

"Later in 1943 we moved from Ayr to a little village in the highlands called Strathpeffer. The village consisted of two large hotels, a few shops, houses and small hotels plus a large hall where we had a few dances occasionally. The troops were in the two big hotels, the one I was in was called the Highland Hotel. It was an LMS railway hotel and had been taken over for the duration of the war. There was a big barn in the village that had been turned into a cinema.
Strathpeffer was practically at the foot of the second highest mountain in Scotland, Ben Wyvis (3,433 ft).

Another reference " Hospital Staff Naval Base No 2 Strathpeffer Scotland WW1"

Regards

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger