commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman

From three different sources. I have always found http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ to be a good source. Regards

1/
Type MS Whaler
Class
Pennant J 133
Built by Smiths Dock Co., Ltd. (South Bank-on-Tees, U.K.)
Ordered
Laid down
Launched 4 Sep, 1929
Commissioned Nov 1941
End service
Loss position

History Completed in September 1929.
Whaler of Vestfold Corporation, Panama, Johan Rasmussen & Co, Sandefjord, Norway) taken over by the Admiralty in November 1941.
Displacement: 312 tons.
Renamed HMS Nimbus in 1942.
Became a Dan layer in 1944.
Sold in November 1945.

2/
Vestfold II
Built in Middlesborough 1929
Built by Smith's Dock Co. Ltd., Middlesborough (906) as Chr. Castberg in 1929 for Hvalfang. A/S, Sandefjord, 312 gt. Became Panamanian Vestfold II in 1934.
WW II: Hired by Royal Navy in Nov.-1941 for use as a minesweeper. Renamed HMS Nimbus (J 133) in 1942. Served as a Dan layer from 1944.
POST WAR: Taken out of service in Febr. -1946, having been sold to Holland in Nov.-1945, rebuilt and renamed Marthe W. Vinke (AM 6) in Oct.-1946. Laid up in 1951, waiting to be sold. Purchased on Feb. 9-1952 by Ballenera Paracas SA, Lima, Peru, and renamed Ballenera, later owned by Agencia Maritima de Pisco Ltda., Lima. Rebuilt in 1977 (Empresa Nacianal de Puertas, Lima), renamed La Perla. Ran aground on Apr. 1-1978 near Callao (Lima).

Vestfold II - HMS Nimbus - Marthe W. Vinke (AM 6) ? Ballenera - La Perla

3/
IDNo: 5034721 Year: 1929
Name: CHR.CASTBERG Launch Date: 4.9.29
Type: Whalecatcher Date of completion: 9.29
Flag: NOR Keel:
Tons: 308 Link: 1539
DWT: Yard No: 906
Length overall: 43.3 Ship Design:
LPP: 41.0 Country of build:
Beam: 7.8 Builder: Smith's Dock
Material of build: Location of yard: South Bank
Number of
Screws/Mchy/
Speed (kn): 1T-
Owner as Completed:
Naval or paramilitary marking:
A: *
End: 1978

Subsequent History:
[77 cv to suction dredger] - 34 VESTFOLD II - 41 NIMBUS - 46 VESTFOLD II - 46 MARTHA W.VINKE - 52 BALLENA - 77 LA PERLA

Disposal Data:
Wrecked Callao 1.4.78

My late Mother's Brother was killed at Arnhem and I am trying to ascertain if this person is the correct one:

Private GEORGE EDWARD ELLINGFORD 5835386, 2nd Bn., Parachute Regiment, A.A.C. who died age 21 on 21 September 1944.
Son of John Edward and Mary Ann Ellingford, of Brighton, Sussex.
NKG = No Known Grave

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission at The GROESBEEK MEMORIAL supplied the above information to me and could not have been more helpful.

I need to find out if this is indeed the right person and I could do this but I need either the street or number of the house in Brighton.

Although up and till the time I left England there was only two families of Ellingfords in Brighton, my Grandfather and Grandmother and an Uncle.

Any ideas as I have sent emails to the usual organizations but, as yet, no help.

Regards

casalboss01,
I have photos of the ship in 1944 but Stan Hough might be able to help at
http://www.stanhough.com/
He has helped me in the past.
Regards
If you need any photos of the HMS Prinses Astrid 91930-1949) I have plenty as it is one of the RMT ferries that I am researching.

Regards
If you cannot find a suitable replacement, could I suggest an alternative?

There are many places which will make a badge if they have a design. I am able to do computer graphics and would be able to produce such a design.

Photo is a rough idea which took 10 minutes to do. I will work on the one that I have as I need a Commando Badge for another project.
Regards
Hi Bill,
You have been busy!

I was sent another copy of some scetches by BJ Mullen and one of them is the one attached.

It's attributed to BJ Mullen as I cannot make out the signature but what I can make out I am sure it is he.
Hi Bill Harvey,
You mentioned a drawing done by a 4 Commando at Dieppe.
Is this the one?
Regards
As I have received much help in my previous posting I am going to ask for help in one more mystery and to see if I can post a photo.
In my late Father's photographs there is one marked 485 FLOTILLA Singapore 1945.
Unfortunatley I cannot find anything on the Internet. Any ideas?
Regards
Update..
I was adding some photos to myFlickr website and thought why not so I typed in Lance Corporal B.J. Mullen's name and it came up with:

"Explaining the bravery of Lance Corporal B.J. Mullen"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/portmanspad/2578544088/in/set-72157605606576213/?addedcomment=1#comment72157607215905197

is the page in question. If you read the plaque it states 'talented artist'.
So I left a comment and hope that the people contact me back.

Regards
Thank you for your kind comments.
I 'Googled' Corporal Brian Mullen and came up with the CVA No. 4 Commando Remembrance list.
My next stop is to check the Commonwealth Graves Commision site.
Regards
At the invite of Mr. John Mewett, I am looking for any information concerned with the story below.

I am researching my late father's wartime history at HMS Armadillo
for training as a Royal Navy Commando (Reference his Service record
and Torpedo History Sheet.) and his ship, HMS Prins Albert, a Landing
Ship, Infantry (Small) and have just started a webpage http://rickles23.webs.com/.
A photograph was sent to me with the explaination that it was bought
on board the HMS Prins Albert. It showed a sketch of the landing craft
and is entitled "H.M.S. Prins Albert's L.C.I's by the late Corporal
Brian Mullen".
Just a few days ago another photograph of a sketch arrived this one
was of HMS Prinses Beatrix and the same name, Corporal Brian Mullen
but underneath was 4 Commando.

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger