commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Rick Smallman
Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
http://wargaming.info/2011/the-vaagso-raid-a-crossfire-game/#.VveSEPl96Uk

Any help?

Regards
Hi,

Remembered with Honour.

Regards
Hi all,

An update on Brian Mullen and there is no objection from Mary to post this newspaper clipping.

Regards
What a loss.

I had a letter from him describing an event.

RIP Ivor, you will be missed.

What a fitting tribute to the man, ringing the bells.

Regards
I thank you all for your very fast replies and the depth of your knowledge!

If there is anything I can do, mainly photo restorations, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Hi

I am looking for some help on the service life of F.R.Box from his daughter via another website:

So my Father AB F. R Box RNVR (RN Commando) was attached to 470 Flotilla. They were based at HMS Cricket & HMS Tormentor in the run up to D-Day so for about a year before can someone tell me what he would have been doing, what sort of training / preparation would have been going on.
As he was a Frogman would he have gone out on the small boats from HMS Tormenter?
Here is another little factoid, my aunt told me that my Father as a Commando was tasked to go to Guernsey to extract a German soldier to bring back to the UK , would that have been part of the role of the Small Boat Parties? I can?t find anything linking this so I?m guessing these missions were extra top secret in 1943.
I am somewhat confused if anyone can shed any light or point me in the right direction for research. On my father?s service record it states quite clearly HMS Ganges Nov 1942- Jan 1943 then HMS Pembroke 1 week HMS Quebec 30 January 1943 to 31 August 1943 then HMS Copra 8 September 1943 -12 May 1946 . I know for a fact he was involved in convoys during the battle of the Atlantic, I even have possession of his medal. Where does this fit into the equation so I know where to start looking?

I'm finding this very difficult to unravel as his service record says he was Ganges 2/11/12-21/11/43, training. Then Pembroke for a week, I'm assuming awaiting a posting.
HMS Quebec 30/1/43- 31/8/43 but the record card says he was 470 Flotilla from 1/7/1943.
Copra was from 1/9/43-12/5/46 he was rated AB on 8/9/43 my Dad said he got this rank after the convoys so I'm guessing whilst he was at Quebec he did the convoys?

Also on the attached photo what is Copra Part 1 and Copra Part 2 ?

Lastly is LCOCU 17 a Landing Craft Squadron?

Regards

This just in from my good friend Peter Lee, it's from a crew member of HMS Queen Emma, Peter Neate via Peter Cross:

The Queen Emma certainly was camouflaged with hessian with an extra funnel added.

He remembers the pipe call for practising putting the structure up and from memory they were based in Falmouth before going to Bayonne.

So I wondered what she would look like with an added funnel.

Regards
Hi Nic,

A lot of unofficial badges never followed the rules unfortunately.

See Attached from the HMS Prince Baudouin.

The Snail badge I posted is being held by a Museum and I will email them to find out more about it.

Regards
Hi all,

Compliments of the Season to all.

This is a mystery badge which looks like a 'home made' job.

Just in case any ideas?

Regards
Thank you Guy,

The link also has a bit of history on Richard Eurich as well.

Now I am thinking about a chapter in my research on War Artists.

Regards

Hi,

I have been sent a photograph in the style of Brian Mullin.

If anyone knows more about it please let me know.

It is titled:

The Raid on Bruneval To Capture German Radar

Regards
Hi,

Attached are two photographs from a good friend in Ostend.

1/ PA original plack 2 is a tidied up version.

2/PA original plack is the original Battle Honours Board from 'Albert'

Both are destined for my records.

It is stated by many that 'Albert' did not go to Normandy on D-Day but she did.

Originally slotted in for an early landing of troops she was held back and arrived around 18.00 on D-Day.

Regards
Hi Noel,

Only copies, one of the museum's got a bit stroppy when they thought I was after their originals.

A couple of leads for you.

Bill Leech,
Curator,
Oban War & Peace Museum
www.obanmuseum.org.uk.

NAM Accession Number 1984-09-18
National Army Museum.

I do have a contact in the family BUT under arrangements I cannot disclose the email address.

One day when and if I catch up on my many projects I will have to see about an album on the CV site.

Finally here is a Mullens that is not often seen.

Regards

Hi,

Yes not only the sketches but paintings as well.

He even made a painting on an old duffel bag as he had no canvas.

Search this webite and you should find the articles on Brian Mullen.

Attached three from my collection

Regards
On the cover is HMS ?

Can anyone help?

I have both sides of the card which was Dad's in WW2.

Regards

Forum Index » Profile for Rick Smallman » Messages posted by Rick Smallman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger