commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Hi All,

Were not road signs taken down in 1940,so as not to aid the enemy.

Graham

Hi All,

Did the wartime Army Commandos ever have their own armoured support?.

The reason for asking is - I am reading about OP IRONCLAD,and it would appear that No 5 Commando was under the command of 29 Ind Bde,also a "B" Special Service Squadron (6 Vantine tanks ,and 6 Tetrarchs tanks).

Did" B Special Service Squadron",have anything to do with the Special Service associated with the commandos.

Many thanks,

Graham

Jools,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I can't add much more , but he is listed as a guardsman at Dieppe,so he certainly saw a lot of action with 4 Commando.

Rest in Peace,Duty done.

Regards

Graham

Jan,

You should now have received the following:

3 parts of book Commando Diary (3 parts equals complete book)

War Diary for 1 Cdo,period Jan.1945

Memorial service for those killed and wounded in Burma Jan 1945.

Todate you have not said to much about Ronny and his service.

I have the war diaries for 1 Cdo covering the following periods

Nov - Dec 1942
Jan - Dec 1943
Jan - Dec 1944
Jan - Nov 1945.

Would you like copies,you would be able to trace where his unit was at any ,and hence where he was.

Regards

Graham
Hi Jan,

Hope this helps.

Page 14,Tag writes "At this point it might be useful to mention some of the mates with whom I was probably closest during the North Africa and Burma campaigns"

On page 15 Tag writes of Pte Danny Lines, "A silent "deadly" man in action,but in spite of his ruthless killing ability was in peacetime a gardener. We shared an interest in gardening and he talked to me of the time he would return home to cultivate his beloved soil.Wherever we were in the world he would be comparing soil textures and commenting on how he would set about improving them".

Are you aware that there is a picture in the book of Danny Lines helping in the outdoor kitchen at Cocanada.

As I said at the start of the email- I hope this helps,and good luck with the book.

Regards

Graham
Dear Dick,

Welcome to the Commando Veterans Association,hopefully we can help in your quest.

We have within the records a TSM(Troop Sergeant Major)V.C ELMERS, initials the same but surname spelt different, could he the same man, the only other information I have, is his service no 6020370 , and his regiment was the 2Bn Royal Norfolk Regiment,

He served with No 5 Commando.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

Graham
Hi Pete,

Welcome back,trust you and family had a nice break.

You have updated Lsgt William Mclean HUMBLE, 2940188,Cameron Hldrs,he was mentioned in despatches for gallant and distinguished service in Italy,the LG reference is issue no 37310 , page 5103.

Regards

Graham
Hi

Another option should be that the S is for Sean,which I believe also means John.

Graham
Hi All,

Not sure if the Forum is the right place for this request.

Can consideration be given to stock "gents" woollen scarves,perhaps pattern and colour same as the current Commando tie.

Any views on the matter.

Regards

Graham

Is it known when the "band" was first formed ?, and what was its strength.

I am aware that they doubled up as the "demo" troop.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Graham.
Hi,

Thanks for your observation,I must confess that I was expecting a few answers by now.

The reason I asked the question,was ,while reading 48 RM Cdo war diary for December 1944,there was this following entry:

(Lt Col D.H.W.Sanders RM) left unit to take up appointment as OC RM Cdo Trg Unit.

Is the RM Cdo Trg Unit the same as the CBTC,Achnacarry,or is a total different org /unit, if they are two different units I am still interested about Lt Col Vaughan tenure.

Thanks
Graham
Hi All,

Was Lt Col Charles Edward Vaughan the only C.O. of the Commando Basic Training Centre ?

Regards

Graham
Hi

On the web there is a site www.naval-history.net,this shows that LCOCU 17 was also known as Naval Party 4057 (NP 4057)

It shows the following history:

APPLEDORE from Dec 44 to Jan 45

MONCK--------------------to Feb 45

BOMBAY-------------------to 3 June 45

COCONADA----------------to 6 July 45

MADRAS-------------------to 8 Sept 45

BOMBAY-------------------Oct 45

SINGAPORE----------------Nov 45

Disbanded-----------------15 Dec 1945

Trust this may help,I,m a little out of my comfort zone with the Royal Navy.

Regards

Graham

Help please.

What was the training centre at MORAR.

Most web sites quote it was a training centre for the SOE.

Was it available for training commandos.

Many thanks,

Graham

Happy,healthy New Year to everyone.

Best wishes,

Graham

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger