commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Did they exist or not that's the ongoing question.

I have contacted the National Archive to get a quote on War diary WO 218/165, so am waiting from them.
I have been in contact with the Cyprus Veterans Association of WW 2, and asked if they can help with the question, again a question of waiting.
Will keep you informed as and when any answers come in.
Thanks to all

Graham.
Mike and Pete

Thanks for your replies,and like yourselves I suspect that 11 Cdo / C Bn may be involved, because of the timing and location of both units.
Will contact National Archives, to see costs and availability of the war diary WO 218/165.

Thanks again,
Graham.
In Charles Messenger's book The Commando 1940 - 1946, he mentions the Cyprus Commando.

On page 111 he states that the commando was formed from men of the Cyprus Regiment, with British officers and Nco's.

Formed June 1941 and disbanded Jan 1942.

Is there any more info on this unit.ie did they do commando training, who were the British personnel involved etc.

Many thanks

Graham.

Hi,
I am a little disappointed that there were no replies to my question regarding the rank of Staff/Colour Sergeant within the Army Commando's,but on the positive side no-one challenged the question.
The Royal Marine Commando used this rank - Colour Sergeant- during the war years and onwards.
Perhaps there is no answer.
Regards
Graham.

Using the CWGC records as a data base, can anyone answer this simple question,Why wasn't the rank of Staff Sergeant or Colour

Sergeant used within the commando.

Thanks
Graham.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Being a POW or medical casualty does seem to be the best option for Pte Beaumont dying out of theatre,but why move him this

distance.

33 Commando's are buried in Germany at 9 cemeteries, and with the exception of Pte WB Beaumont, the remainder were killed in

1945-46.Just seems strange.

Thanks

Graham

Private W B Beaumont died 28-03-1941, and is buried at Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery.

Pte. Beaumont is shown as follows:

2756409 Pte William Blair Beaumont

Black Watch Regt

52 Middle East Commando.

Does anyone know, how or why, this commando is buried in Berlin

This information comes from the CWGC.

Please can anyone help

Many thanks

Graham
Hello - again

In picture gallery- nominal rolls- 3Cdo - mt section.

1) I was surprised at the size of the mt section - 1 x officer, + 47 OR's, the date of the nominal roll is May 1944, was it beefed up for D Day.

2) Does anyone know how many, and what type of vehicle were used in support of the unit.

Regards,
Graham
Hi
Reading in the forum in General topics - page 12- Heading - Roll of Honour for Army Commando's,there is a reference to No 13 Cdo.

There is no reference to that commando in the CVA commando history section.

Can any give details of this unit, ie its history and roll.

Many thanks

Graham
Hi
Another quest for information,in the photo gallery under commando and combined ops-Achnacarry-Course intakes and trg programme.

Further photo's show the training programmes for Officers course No 20 ,and Intake course No 21

1)Can anyonee No 21. give dates for two above mentioned courses,

2)Can it be confined the CBTC closed 31-3-46

3)Is their any knowledge of the 1945 training programme.

Regards

Graham

Thank you for all contribution,I now have a good idea of general issue and special gear for tasks and operational use.

Regards
Graham
Thank you Pete, the gallery photo of the kit inspection is exactly what I am after as an answer,but due to the quality of the photo cannot make out all items.
Can anyone help with naming the items,especially the clothing at the top of the picture,and the webbing in the lower portion of the photo.

Regards
Graham
What was the basic pay for a commando during the war years.I am aware of the accommodation allowance paid but were there any other "skills"payments like parachute jumps,trade skills and the likes, or as their parent regiment paid them , they only received basic
pay.
Thanks
Graham
Further to my original quest would any one know the individual scaling/ issue of personal kit to commando's as against the normal infantry man.

Thanks again
Graham
Can any one help - What was the standard / or non standard clothing worn by the commando:

1) While training
2) Day dress
3)Battle or raiding dress

The reason for this question is that while looking at photo's of the men on Spean Bridge monument,they seem to be wearing "turtle neck shirt/sweaters"
I believe I have also read they wore rubber sole foot wear
The photo's I am referring to can be found:
FORUM
Looking for information - misc
subject Men of the Spean Bridge monument
Nic answer to Laura dtd 1/6/2011

Regards
Graham

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger