commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper

OOPS - thanks

Graham

Does anyone know who this officer served with.

1.There is a picture of his headstone within the picture gallery - Dieppe Canadian War Cemetery - No 3 Commando graves ,this shows Commando.

2.The Alrewas memorial panel shows he served with 3/4 Cdo.

3.Not mentioned as a commando on the CWGC ,Casualty detail.

4.He is not mentioned in either 3 or 4 Commando RoH within the CVA.

5.He is not mentioned in the CVA Dieppe RoH.

I have spoken to CWGC,they could not give a definitive answer to which commando he served with,but did find hand written notes stating 1st F.O, could this mean he was Forward Observer for the guns.

Would he be attached to the commando,or a full member.

Many thanks

Graham

The bio on this man,quotes "the Third Jungle Book,issue 9 as having died in Hong Kong.

Does any one know why he was buried at Kirkee War Cemetery in India.

Both the CVA bio and the CWGC. show the date of death as the 15 -11-1945.

Thanks,

Graham

To add a little further information to the bio within recent posts.

Lt Col.Steven Patrick Wood,left 5 Cdo while they where stationed at St Margaret at Cliffe.on Nov 8 1940.

The war diary for 5 Cdo,1940 refers,N.A. ref WO.218/5.

Excerpt,Nov 8.1940 ,1030 hrs,Col S.P WOOD left,awaiting posting orders

1430 hrs, Col FELLOWES,visited,Maj Churchill,he had taken over command,and said -------.

What was the outcome regarding the name change.

Graham
He is Mentioned in Despatches,for good services in operations in the Mediterranean,London Gazette 36505,page 2129 refers.

It is interesting that the LG show his surname as Huntington Whitely,but the CWGC shows Whiteley.

Graham
in a recent post there is a bio reference the a/m marine Sergeant.

I believe there is a mistake,the bio states" Sgt Bailey was killed in ITALY ...."

Sgt Abrahams was killed in ITALY,,while if I have the correct Sg Bailey,he was killed in Normandy 20-6-45.

Graham
In a recent content article ,the bio on the above officer showed no date of death.

The CWGC show his date of death as 9-6-1941,the 11 Cdo war diary shows the following entry for 10 June 1941 0100 Lt RICHARDS died of wounds

Graham
Hi Julie,

Have war diary,out this morning,but will send in the afternoon

Graham
Hello Craig

Welcome to the CVA website,

Have you seen or read 6 Cdo war diary for the period you are interested in ?

Not sure if this is the the info you are after:

Boat Allotment
Fig 1

Group 8 (BEER RED 4 Beach)

Allotment of boats hoisted on HMT. AWATEA ( 10 LCP )

1st Flight
A1,3,5,7,9 & 10 Starboard side A1 - 6 Tp
A3 - 6 Tp
A5 - 2 TP
A7 - 2 Tp
A9 - 8 Tp - 1 Section

2nd Flight.
A2,4,6 & 8 Port side A2 - 4 Tp
A4 - 4 Tp
A6 - 4 Tp
A8 - 7 Tp - 1 Section
A10 - 8 Tp - 1 Section

There is more info if required

Graham

Hello, and welcome to the Commando Veterans Association,

Can help a little,but does not answer your question fully.

Pte.Ernest Edgar Whittingham's death was reported in the commando newsletter dated Sept, 1997.,this gives no indication of date of death.

Hope this helps a little.

Graham.
Interestingly in the same Dispatch edition is an article about the CVA Archive website by John Mewett,under Demographics are the following stats 61% of users are in the age group 18-34 years old
28 % are age group 35- 54 years
11 % are age group 55-65+

It appears that we already attract a healthy 61% who are not deterred by Veteran in the title.

I believe the original title was the Old Comrades Association of the Army Commandos.

Graham

I am a paid up Associated member with no voting rights,this I accept.

Like most I am opposed to change,so I am curious why the proposed dropping of" Veterans" from our title,what will be achieved,and what is it purpose.

What will the proposed Commando Association do that the present Commando Veterans Association cannot do.

Regards

Graham

Hi All,
Within the gallery section ,under Letters, Docs etc,is a photo of the Special Services Prayer booklet.
On the second page is the Act of Dedication,this appears to be the same as the Commando prayer.

In the Modern Commando prayer,the second to last line seem to be an addition "And bearing our part in thine eternal purpose".This line does not appear in the earlier prayer booklet.Checking the Prayer of St.Ignatius of Loyola,this also does not have this line.

I agree not very green beret,but would be interest why the inclusion of the line

Graham

Thanks John,

What a cracking poem - of its time.

Is anything known of A.W Bridges, was he a commando under training or was he staff.

Graham

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger