commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Hi,
Can anyone help,like most requests I only have part information.
Whilst at the National Army museum,checking through some old Commando Association newsletters. I came across the following name- RSM Bernard (Benny) DYKES, REME, RSM 4 Cdo Bde.
Being ex REME, I was impressed to find a corp man in such a position,regrettably rank,name and unit was the only info I wrote down,so have no idea of dates or locations.
1) Does anyone have any history of the man.
2) On checking on the internet, it seems that 4 Bde was made up with RM Cdo's - would they have had an Army - REME - RSM.
3) I believe the news letter may of been No 60 dated March 1975.

Any information gratefully received.

Graham
Hi
Whilst checking the availability of a commando book I came across this new title for release in September this year.

THE COMMANDO POCKET BOOK 1940-1945

Compiled by CHRIS WESTHORP

ISBN 978 1844861590

128 Pages

Both Amazon and Waterstones website give contents of book

Hope this is of some help

Graham
Hi
In both the photo gallery and the forum,there are references to a Pipe band.

1)Was the band a "central band "for all commando units, or was it based at CBTC for the commando's under training.

2) Were cdo unit pipers, on loan from the central band, or did interested units have their own pipers.

3) Did the commando ever have a "regimental" march, or did each commando have their own march.

Thanks

Graham
Hi
Can anyone help,I've been reading the Westminster abbey site,on the subject of the Combined Services Memorial.It states that in the west cloister of the Abbey is the monument to the men of the Submarine Service.the Commandos, and the Airborne forces and the SAS.
The site stated that the sculptor Gilbert Ledward designed the three bronze figures, the figures were serving members of the forces.
The man who modelled for the commandos was CSM AYRES.
Who was CSM Ayres.
Also the inscription "They performed whatsoever the King commanded",when was it first used in a Commando connection and by whom.
Thanks
Graham
Hello,[i]
As can be seen from my history,I am a new boy, am very interested in the Army Commando history. The birth and creation, the roles and raids along with the various organisations that were created from cdo beginings, all are documented, debated and recorded.
Can anyone help regarding the disbandment process of the Army Cdo's, in particular the following:

1) Was the decision politcal or military based.

2)When was the idea first muted to disband the commando.

3)What was the thinking of disbanding Army Commando, but retain the Royal Marine Commando.

Is there any literature on this subject that is recommended reading.

Many thanks

Graham Cooper

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger