commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper

Not sure if this helps or not,I have a reference to a Cpl,Charles (Rocky),STONE,44 RM Cdo,of Cannington,Somerset.

He has been shown as a dispatch rider.(not confirmed)

In March 1997 it is noted that his death was reported.

Like I said earlier not sure if this is the same STONE,

Good luck

Graham

Hello and Welcome,

Can confirm that your grandfather was in the commando.

In March 2002 the following obituary appeared,under 5 Commando,the following - Lcpl A.W.(Bill)Palmer of Bulawayo,Zimbabwe.

It isn't a lot,but it does confirm what you knew/know.

Hopefully others can fill some gaps

All the best,

Graham
Hi All,

This book set is good value,first class information ,cradle to grave data on individuals military history.

There are many reference of previous commando service prior to SAS / LRDG service.

Graham

Reading the CWGC cemetery detail was surprised to find that Brookwood 1939-1945 Memorial are an agency service on behalf of the Royal Hospital Chelsea."The

commission also maintain a plot of graves of Chelsea Pensioners.

Is it known if any commando veterans are at rest at this place.

Regards

Graham

Hope this helps,

ecole.nav.traditions,free fr/cdo,this site states,

KIA 8-5-45,Netherlands,buried 11-5-45 at Sint Philipsland.

Killed by the explosion of a mine while on patrol.

Transferred 19-11-49,Bordeaux,Gironde.

His name is written ALLARD,but is written ALLART C. on the Memorial of Kapelle.

From the 4 Commando war diary 1945 ,WO 218/ 84

May 7 ,1945

HALSTEREN - No 7 french troop moved to SCHOUWEN and established HQ at BRUINISSE, and to clear and mark all minefields in that area.

Regards

Graham

Thanks pete.

Graham

Thanks Nic,I would like him considered for the Roll of Honour for 10 IA cOMMANDO.

Graham

Can consideration be given for the above to be add to the 10 IA Roll of Honour.

Pte R. Duffy attended a parachute training course,at Ringway starting 2nd Aug.1943,and died whilst training on the 12th Aug.1943.

He was with a party of 3, Capt.J.G.Coates,Pte Harrison,and he , all from H.Q. No 10 (IA) Commando.

This information is from 10 IA Commando war diary 1943 - August, file ref WO 218/ 56.

CWGC also shows 10 Commando.

Graham

Guy,

Cracking information you have found.

Is it your understanding that all three were commando's,at the time of their deaths

Graham

Guy,

Thanks for the reply,as regard the accident the war diary has no location,but the unit was based at ARDROSSAN, so suspect that the accident was not far away.

Graham

While looking into another matter I was reading the war diary for "Special Service Brigade Signal Section,file ref WO 218 / 31.

September 15th 1942 has the following entry: "Serious lorry accident occurred to No 2 section. 3 O.R's killed (Lsgt. BECKETT, Lcpl. PATERSON and Sigmn.BURNS

On checking with the CWGC , all three are mentioned ,but no commando connection,only parent regiment Royal Corp of Signals

They are not mentioned on the ALREWAS panels either.

What was the status of the Special Service Brigade Signals section,were these 3 men commando's ?

Thanks

Graham

It has not been stated what regiment/corp your father was in.

His serial number falls in the range issued to the Royal Signals, can this be confirmed.

Regards

Graham

Have spoken to the CWGC,they have no further information.

Have spoken to the KORR museum regarding the transcript,the information printed was from a private source,and not from the official war diaries.

Have spoken to the National Archives regarding the war diary for the KORR.,they could not give file reference while on phone but will get back to me later.

Have emailed enquiry to Suffolk Regimental museum,awaiting reply.

Will keep you informed as the information or not comes in.

Graham

What is the source of the information regarding his death with 1 Cdo at LEROS.

By chance I came across an article from the KING'S OWN ROYAL REGIMENT MUSEUM, www.kingsownmuseum.com/ww2-leros-01htm refers.

Capt DJP THIRKELL-WHITE is shown as Officer Commanding "A" Company 1st Bn The King's Own Royal Regiment, the regiment having landed on the island of LEROS on the 5th NOVEMBER ,1943, also his death is show as 14 Nov. 1943

Was he still with the commando's.

Graham

There is an entry in Wikipedia- under his name, it would appear he went on into a diplomatic career .

He also made his name in maze design.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger