commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bill Harvey
Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Well done Guy.

Bill
Can anyone help Chris with contacts with No 3 or No 40 Commando or Canadians?

Bill
Chris

He is not listed as being with or attached to No 4 Army Commando at Dieppe. No 3 Army Commando And No 40 RM Commando were there but I do not listing for them. The No 4 list was drawn up in 1990.

Wish you all the best with your search.

Bill
We will remember them as we make the trip to the Netherlands for the 70th. Fus J Ball 3/6/45 Bergen op Zoom (BoZ); Lieut N W Barras 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte H Donkin 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte D Gillon 20/1/45 Wissenkerke; Gnr W Y Harvey 1/11/44 BoZ; Gnr E A Hill 1/11/44 Panel 2 Groesbeek; L/Cpl O C Hooper 2/11/44 BoZ; Pte P Laux 2/11/44 BoZ; Cpl J Maybury 18/1/45 Kamperland; Pte J Stoddart 1/11/44 BoZ; L/Sgt A J Walker 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte P A Wells 28/4/45 Schoonselhof Belgium. We also will remember all who fell in No 4 French, British, Luxemburg and the loyal Dutch who were killed during the war. Bill
If anyone is going to Flushing can they PM me with their email and I will give details.

Bill
Yesterday the Omroep Zeeland broadcasting corporation 'launched' a special commemorative website "De Slag om de Schelde" (the battle for the Scheldt): http://www.deslagomdeschelde.nl/ It is in Dutch. They ask people to send in stories, photos, etc. The website works by date. You can "follow" the battle from day to day as it took place from 1 Sept. '44 onwards.
Slag om de Schelde
www.deslagomdeschelde.nl
70 jaar na dato
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/331192/new-tourist-trail-opens-in-memory-of-lochaber-training-commandos/
Just to say I am in contact with the family. Bill
Pte Gillon D No 4 & KOSB 14656477 kia 20/0145

Pte Hutchison E A No 4 & KORR Lancs 14766685 kia 8/3/45
Just to say I am trying to contact the family have sent an email. Bill
John

Flushing

Sunday 2 November , around 14.30, concert in Sint Jakobskerk in Vlissingen.

Monday 3 November , 11:00 remembrance and wreath laying at the new site by the Commando monument, Unveiling of the new Free French stone next to the monument. Arsennal for refreshments. After this visit some places off interest.

Bill
The statue in the museum was a standing Commando. I know the Dutch preferred the running one which represented the Commandos so much better.

Bill
John

I would check with the Polderhuis Museum about all that is on at Westkappelle.

www.polderhuiswestkapelle.nl

Bill
John

On 1 November there are events at Westkapelle 9.00 to 10..00 hours at Museum then 10.00 to 1.00 hours Commemoration.

Bill
My Dutch contacts have managed to find the No 4 Commando Flag in the museum. This was given to the Flushing people by No 4 Commando in 1946. There was a statue too which they are still investigating for me. The statue of Winston Churchill presented to the people of Flushing by Pat Churchill who served with No 4 is in the Stadhuise. It was designed by his wife.

Bill

Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger