commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Eileen
Forum Index » Profile for Eileen » Messages posted by Eileen
Just wondering ... reading about the first intake at Achnacarry - I think Dad went on the Lofoten Raid but I know he trained at Achnacarry. He used to mention Lochailort - could he have trained there first then moved to Achnacarry?

As for the 'mock' graves ... dad used to tell me about them (with half a smile) ... if they were real, surely they'd have their names on them? Yes, I'm typing this with half a smile on my face. ;)
Fascinating - and to see something by Mr Marshall in print - these Forums are so important.
£25.00 :-)
E (Jock) Falconer, standing, holding the dog?

edit from Pete R. Comment added to the photo with possible id as above

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/Commandos+-+Troon.jpg.html

Crumbs!
I don't think the one in the front with the tab is Tanky ... isn't he the one in the row behind - to the right of the TSM?

I'm talking about this one, not the one with dad on it.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/IMG_0004.jpg.html

Thank you. I am. I can remember the day I found out my dad had been a Commando and how special that was.

I went running outside to tell all within earshot that my dad had won the War. I still think that ... along with a few others )
My dad's the one to his right, as we look at it, front row centre (behind the one set up on the ground) - probably the same gun - thanks!
Hello and welcome!

Would you be able to tell me what kind of gun my dad's holding in the front row, centre of this photo please? (I believe it's my dad, not verified as yet)

You say you have FS knives - original? Any photos? Any spares?? )

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/4+Cdo+D+troop+1941+jr.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Yes, Stephane - he's beside my dad in the Keswick photos too. Pals through thick and thin apparently.

I've just realised who the tough-looking Commando at the back left in that photo from Flushing probably is - Tanky - and that both he and my dad were from the Border Regiment.

Do we have any relatives of Tanky on here?
I've just seen this photo in the 'new arrivals' in the photo gallery. Dad mentioned Tanky as being one of his pals - no wonder cos they were together in Keswick ... my avatar is taken from one of those photos.

I didn't even recognise Tanky - they both look so much older, more than a couple of years. I suppose that's what War does to you.

I wonder if Tanky was one of the 'Wild Ones' too. Yeah ... probably. :)
That's a lovely thing to behold!
I love hearing anecdotes - have just been to visit my brother and I asked him if he could remember anything that my dad told him. It would appear that either he thought I'd be interested in the few things he had to say ... or I was a very nosey little girl. Some things don't change.

Anyway ... he did say that he can remember watching a documentary about the American Eagles (?) and that one of the airmen talked about having to bail out at Dieppe, landing in the sea - and that a boat/ship full of Commandos picked him up.

My dad, who didn't say much, remarked that he remembered that incident and that they'd picked that fella up. I love it when I read in books what my dad told us.

I find all this very interesting - I'm a 'late starter' and completely hooked!
I've read about Kangaw in other books - I find it all very frightening.

Can you imagine seeing the Japanese soldiers wearing the green berets of your dead comrades? No wonder they sent them packing - they'll have been as mad as hell.
Great reading!

My dad was in No4 and had a lot of time for the French - he had great respect for them. He said they were very brave men. As they all were ... but my dad made a point of telling me that when I was little.

Forum Index » Profile for Eileen » Messages posted by Eileen
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger