commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John M
Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M

The Christmas Lunch for the East Mids Branch CVA is being held as usual at Louth Golf Club Louth Lincs. Tuesday 11th December 13.00hrs.

It's been a tough year for the branch and several of it members but we all hope to drink to the membership and the future of the CVA.

A jolly time is guaranteed

Regards

John Mewett

EMCVA Branch Secretary
Hello

UnknownCommandos

No there is no leather triangle present.

Regards
John M
Hello Shohna

Welcome to the CVA forums.

My father also served in No 1 Cdo at the battle of Kangaw in Burma.

On checking my research records I can confirm that your GF served in No 4 Troop No1 Commando. My father was also in 4 troop.

Your Gf is listed among the KIA Roll of Honour in the War Diaries held in Kew National Archives.

For some pictures of other men from 4 troop No 1 Cdo check out our photo gallery on this site in the Units section........these are men your GF would have been close to whilst in Burma.

As Nic says your GF's service record will be most interesting to get a hold of ..........the address is on this site.

Insignia and berets are obtainable but could prove quite expensive as they are most sought after by collectors........militaria auctions are your best bet for those.

The battle of Kangaw was a most epic struggle and has been labeled one of the most fierce battles of the whole Burma Campaign. A picture of the 4 Troop section leader Lt G Knowland who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in the battle is also on this site.

The very best of luck with your research

Very Best regards

John M
Hi Bob and Janet

Hope you are still enjoying Scotland and are not to lonely!!

It was a joy and pleasure to meet you both and please have a safe journey home.

I have some work for you on your return.......contacts re No 2 Cdo etc.

Will email you the details later...............

Our very best wishes

John Bernie Dan & Gillian
Hi Di

Your phrase book is very interesting and a treasure you should keep within your family.

This booklet puts you close to your father as it is something he would have carried with him while in difficult circumstances.

Museums have copies and the Spean Bridge Museum is in a state of flux at the moment............so I say keep hold of it .........and treasure it!!

Best regards

John M
Hello Colin

and welcome to the forums of the CVA.

The best read in my opinion for the Commando forces in WW2 is 'The Commandos 1940-1946' By Charles Messenger. It cover all units in depth and No 9 Cdo is no exception.

The Second thing I would do is obtain Capt Cochranes service record from the APC. Write to:

Army Personnel Centre

HQ Secretariat

Historical Disclosures

Mail Point 400

Kentigern House

65 Brown Street

GLASGOW

G2 8EX

When you contact the APC please give them as much info as possible E.g. Army Number, Name, Rank, and Original Unit if possible. During World War 2 Commandos were paid by their parent unit and it is usual for the information to be stored in their archives. The Commando service however will be documented and you will be able to see posting Wounds/POW etc in the records.

The third thing I would suggest is to view the No 9 War Diaries held at the National Archives at Kew in London.

I hope all this proves useful.

I also hope someone who knew the Captain will contact you via these forums.

Good luck with your research.
Best regards
John M

Wonderful......moving........verse.

See you in FW
Regards
John M

The only Branson I know is a bit of a big 'CHEEESE'

JohnM
Hi Colin

Have you tried the Combined Operations War Diaries :?:

When the various units sent detachments on raids etc I found that there was more info in the C.Ops Diaries than in the Units WD's themselves.

Just a thought

Regards
JohnM
I thought I would try to start up a thread on forces humour jokes. etc. :) ............the Brits are famous for it after all. Stuff you know stuff you've heard etc

I'll start the ball rolling :-) 8) :) )

Infantry are told to go over the top ....there are 100 of them led by a lone piper playing a rousing swirling bagpipe musical accompaniment.

Charge!!.......enemy machine guns open up.........mowes down fifty men

'Charge men ' ..........more swirling bagpipes.......another twenty hit the dust.

Keep going boys...........even more rousing bagpipes........a massive machine gun burst mowes down everybody but the Sgt Major and the bagpipe player still blowing wildly.

Sgt Major to Piper ' for Gods sake lad can't you play something they LIKE!!'

:shock:

Over to you guys

John M

Hello Colin

The gentleman that I know from 62 Cdo did not to my knowledge move to the SAS.

62 Cdo facts seem to be hard to come by ..........I think SAS was formed formerly in April/March 43.

Some SAS officers for instance Pinkney and Rooney were from No 12 Cdo

Pinkney was shot on one of the first SAS missions

Men from No 12 Cdo were attached to 62 Cdo early on and they were working out of the UK............this whole period seems to be a mish mash of facts and some fiction thrown in.

I know at least 3 former 12 Cdo comrades and of course my Dad was No 12 also...........shame Dads not here to answer my myriad of questions.

Hope this does not confuse things to much.
Best regards
John M

FW .......quite a few hotels..........all full I would think :( .......check with the Gen Sec Geoff Murray.
Hello Colin

Will you be attending FW this year?

If so I will endeavor to make your acquaintance and introduce you to a former No 62 Cdo member. 8)

Regards
John M
Thanks Nic............your appreciation is a appreciated by all concerned.

The others will follow shortly as will the 'They Also Served' rolls.

An ongoing project :-)
Regards
John M
Some 'Rolls Of Honour' now on site in the history section of each unit.

Select unit from left hand tab under Commando History then select Rememberance drop down tab under that unit for Roll of Honour.

The others will be added shortly.

Regards to all
JohnM

Hello Di

Shortly after the main service at the memorial the Padre usually goes over to the memorial garden and dedicates ashes and a rememberence service to the comrades that have passed away the previous year ..At this time plaques are placed.

Just to be sure I would contact the General Secretary Geoff Murray either via the contact page of this site or by telephone.

I am sure there will be no problem.

It is a very moving and dignified place............in general I think the memorial and the area is a National Treasure.

Have a great visit
Regards
John M

Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger