commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Julie W
Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Thanks Nick! And your order has been noted )
Thanks Mark!

I've heard good things about self publishing & it's definitely something I would consider
I've recently finished writing the biography of 5 Commando's Larry Stephens and now I need to demonstrate to publishers that there will be an interest in the book. If you're on Twitter, please would you do me a favour and follow @lsggbg - the account I've set up in his name? He will follow you back! This is the direct link: https://twitter.com/lsggbg

After serving with 5 Commando, Larry had a post-war career as a scriptwriter and wrote for the Goon Show, The Army Game, Tony Hancock and other leading personalities of the 1950s.

Many thanks,

Julie
I've obtained a copy of the invitation & done a bit of digging & I now know that the club was located at 29 Norfolk Place in London (now Micky's Fish Bar!), it opened in October 1947 & was in business until at least 1955. The proprietor's surname was Thomas & his wife's initials were JW.

I'd still be grateful for any additional information about the club or its owners.

Cheers,

Julie
Amongst the Laycock Papers held at the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives there is apparently an "invitation to join The Frenchman's Creek Club, London, set up by an ex Commando" (LAYCOCK 6/29, 1947-1961)
http://www.kingscollections.org/catalogues/lhcma/collection/l/la95-001/la95-01

Does anyone know anything more about this club please, i.e. when and where it opened and who it was opened by?

Thank you,

Julie
It was just the Moons I was interested in but thanks Graham. And what a great photo John!

Julie
Does anyone know if Achnacarry's Ossie Moon or No. 5's Arthur Moon were police officers before or after the war please?

Thanks,

Julie
I've managed to find a little more which I think came from 3 Commando Brigade HQ's war diary.

George Beach is described as exiting "through mangrove onto waterlogged paddy" and the landings are detailed as follows (the 2nd & 4th flights were onto different beaches):

First flight
1 Cdo with two FOO and one FOB will land at H hr on GEORGE BEACH
(a) If opposition slight will move with all possible speed to secure HILL 170
(b) If opposition hy will secure beach head on line 513486
(c) Decision will be made by Mil Force Comd

Third flight
5 Cdo will land at H plus 60 with probable task of moving in op 1 Cdo on HILL 170
Hi Pete,

Are there any graves in Jersey or Athens that still need to be photographed?

Regards,

Julie
Hi Bill,

I've had a quick look through my notes & have found a reference to George Beach in No. 5's War Diary:

22 Jan 1945
13:55 Commando commenced landing operations on 'George' beach. Shelling of Chaung. Otherwise unopposed

I'll have a more thorough read through of the stuff I've got & let you know if I find anything else.

Regards,

Julie
Thanks for checking!
Thanks Nick
Out of interest, do any of you know of any Commando training taking place in Rhyl please? I'm trying to determine how many of the Goon Show references are based on fact. I've discounted the 'spaghetti hurling' but if any of you know anything to the contrary...!

Thanks a lot,

Julie
There's a copy of the magazine here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/98617545/The-3rd-Jungle-Book-No-9
Page 32 :)

Julie
Hi Graham,

Have you seen the account of the band in no. 9 of The Third Jungle Book?

Regards,

Julie

Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger