commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Julie W
Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Hi Liz,

I?ve also been waiting for 10 months (my estimate was 6-9 months) ? it must be a particularly busy period.

Regards,

Julie
Hi Tony and welcome!

I?m also researching a member of 5 Commando and have come across a mention of your grandfather in ?The Third Jungle Book? ? a magazine produced while they were serving in India & Burma ? from September 1945. It is under the notes covering 4 Troop and says, ?Johnny Coghlan, the only man to put three bombs down a barrel, is now playing Tinker to Mr Booth?s Sexton Blake and assures us that all Coppers are?nt.?.

What that means, I don?t know, but I?m sure someone here will!

Good luck with your search for more information.

Julie
Hi Roy,

How about Captain Paul Peter Loraine? See: http://www.6commando.com/Pages/Officers/Officers%20Pages/L/Officer%20Loraine%20PP/Officer%20Loraine%20PP.html

Regards,

Julie
That?s really helpful. Thank you so much Andy
I?m interested to learn more about ?The Third Jungle Book?, and am sure you knowledgeable people will know the answers to my questions!

How was the newsletter put together? Was it always written by the same person/people or were all the men able to contribute items?

Also, does anyone know which issues are held in the Liddell Hart collection at King?s College please and if there are copies in any other archives anywhere?

Thanks,

Julie
Just realised I?ve given you the wrong parents Andy, sorry! Sam?s parents were actually Thomas Henry Wilson and Annie Hargreaves.

Julie
Hi all,

I was keen to see if I could find out any more about Pte Sam Wilson as it is such a touching story; it?s also a way for me to thank everyone for the help I?ve been given in my search for information about Larry Stephens.

I?ve found Sam listed on ancestry.co.uk as part of the Wilson family tree created by an Albert Wilson. Sam?s parents were Sam Wilson and Maria Lumb and he had 2 brothers & a sister whose details are not shown as they are potentially still alive.

I can send a message to Albert, the family tree creator, through the Ancestry site. Would you like me to do this on your behalf Andrew?

Best regards,

Julie
Yes, I think it may be him in the centre of the front row Nick. If it is, it's one of very few photos in which he's smiling!

Julie
Thanks for the link to the Part 1 Orders Nick; it makes very interesting reading.

I?m attaching the photo I referred to which shows Larry in an entertainments role but whether it was taken during his time with the Commandos or the early days of The Goons, I don?t know

By the way, I can?t claim any credit for the Wikipedia entry about Larry although I did provide the photo!

Regards,

Julie
Hi Nick,

This is a scan of a copy of a copy of the service records I?ve managed to get hold of! I?m in the middle of a 6-9 month wait for my own set from the Army Personnel Centre.

I?ve now uploaded a larger extract which covers all Commando-related service.

Thanks for your help.

Julie
I have a couple of questions which I?m hoping someone will be able to help me answer please.

Firstly, I would love to know who the person who appears in the photo with my cousin, Larry Stephens of no.5 Commando, is. It must have been taken after 10 February 1946 when Larry was made an Acting Captain and would probably have been in Hong Kong. Larry is the taller of the two men.

Secondly, I am unsure about two entries on Larry?s service record. My best guess is ?Admitted Base Hospital Bangalore? and ?Discharged Hospital to No.5 Commando? but can anyone confirm that there was a hospital in Bangalore or offer any alternative suggestions as to what the entries read?

Many thanks,

Julie
Hi Nick & Stephen,

Thanks for such a warm welcome.

I?m actually in the process of writing Larry?s biography at the moment so this is really useful information, thank you Nick.

I have a photo of Larry with another officer I?d like to identify so I?ll upload that to the relevant section of the forum. I also have a photo which may well be from his Entertainments Officer time but there is nothing to identify when or where it was taken. Is it OK to upload that too?

Julie
I don?t know if you are aware but the scriptwriter mentioned, Larry Stephens, was with no.5 Commando from 1943. Larry was my first cousin once removed and was involved in writing a large percentage of the Goon Shows with Spike Milligan and others.

This is my first forum post so please be gentle with me!

Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger