commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Julie W
Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Hi Nick,

I've had a look through the notes I took from the 'Commando Casualties 1940-1945' document at the National Archives & I haven't listed Sgn James so either he doesn't appear on the document or I somehow missed him.

Did your information about him come from the War Diary?

Julie
The Army Medical Services Museum may be able to help you
http://www.ams-museum.org.uk/museum/
Hi Stéphane,

When 5 Commando took part in 'Operation Screwdriver', there was a Regimental Aid Post at HQ under the direction of the Medical Officer and one Medical Orderly was attached to each troop. In addition, all ranks carried first field dressings with them.

Julie
It looks like "No" on the top line. And possibly a number 6?

Julie
Phil Eyden wrote:I can't seem to find a copy of his autobiography for under £50 though

There is a copy of the book held at Bromley library - a bit of a distance from Dover, I know, but you might be able to get it transferred to Dover library
A little more information culled from the Greek Army website...

When the Germans occupied Greece, many Greeks fled to the Middle East and formed the Greek I and II Brigades but there was a large influx of officers: too many to be absorbed into the existing units. They therefore decided to create a new unit composed entirely of officers which was originally called the 'Band of Elite Immortals' and consisted of 130 Army, Navy and Air Force officers, 40 soldiers and 30 auxiliaries. It was later renamed the 'Sacred Band'. They wore a beige beret and had an emblem of an ancient sword with a phrase Spartan mothers said to their warrior sons, translating to something like "bring back your shield or be brought back on it"

This site has a few more photos http://astypalaia.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/%ce%bf-%ce%b9%ce%b5%cf%81%ce%bf%cf%83-%ce%bb%ce%bf%cf%87%ce%bf%cf%83-%cf%83%cf%84%ce%bf-%ce%b1%ce%b9%ce%b3%ce%b1%ce%b9%ce%bf/
There are 3 FS knives up for auction here on 4 February, lot numbers 1222, 1409 & 1553
http://www.taylors-auctions.com/acatalog/Images_Marine__Militaria___Ethnic_Art__Sale_Images___4th_February_2012_4.html

Julie
Hi Peter,

Ordering copies online from the National Archives can be really expensive although if you were planning to do this, the DEFE 2/40 is probably just a duplicate of the information in all the WO references (there were several copies of each War Diary sent to different places during the War & 2 sets of each seem to be held at the Archives).

In the past I've tried to order copies of pages covering specific dates online but the Archives people won't do this; I think you have to order a copy of the whole document unfortunately.

There are people who will go to Kew & photograph documents on your behalf - generally a cheaper option - I once saw someone offering to do this on http://ww2talk.com/

I hope that helps!

Julie
I've looked through some of them in the past but CAB/80/55/12 is a new one on me.
You are the master!
Thanks again Nick
That's wonderful Pete!
I just came across this article from 2010 on 'This is Bath' and thought it may be of interest
http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Letters-tell-war-hero-s-days/story-11335615-detail/story.html

"Most people know a good story about some priceless treasure found in a skip, whether it is a Renaissance statue chucked out of a Bristol church or silver-plated tea and coffee pots hurled from a famous Paris hotel.

Sid Owen, who lives at Hawarden Terrace in Bath, once had an interesting find, although there was no great value attached to it.

Twenty-five years ago he was passing a skip in the city when he spotted a small bundle of documents. The law being a bit different then, he took them out, took them home and put them in a drawer and more or less forgot about them.

However, he recently came across the again and when he told his neighbour Dave Laming about them, Dave set about doing some research which he has now passed on to the Chronicle.

Dave says: "This little pile of scruffy, water-stained piece of paper intrigued me.

"In particular, 11 small double folded air mail letters each with its 3d King George VI postage stamp, the 'Passed by the Censor' stamp and each having the writer's signature. This confirmed that: 'I certify on my honour that the contents of this envelope refers to nothing but private and family matters'.

Each letter was on blue Army Form W3077 in a neat hand and some written in pencil and some in ink. They were all from the man that Dave discovered was Corporal Edward Albert Pitt CH/X 1257 No 40 RM Commando, Royal Marines who died of wounds aged 27 on April 12, 1945.

He was the son of Frederick and Matilda Pitt and is buried at the Argenta Gap War Cemetery.

The earliest of the letters is dated December 3, 1943 and the last May 15, 1944, all written in and sent from Italy.

On December 3 Edward wrote: "Well, things out here are more or less the same except that Jerry pays visits of late. Strange but true as soon as the air raid siren goes the Italian soldiers and civvies promptly leave town . . . "

Then on February 17: "Since writing last, I have lost a very good friend.

"He was full of thoughts of his marriage which was to have taken place on his return to England. He was always full of fun and adventure.

"Nothing greater can be said of him but that he died a soldier's death doing his duty . . .

"Later things have happened but says he can't tell his parents about them because of their military nature."

Then: "Please note the change of Troop. My old troop is no more.

"We have done very hard fighting since middle of January during which we lost a lot of men. Of the men who came out here with me in my old troop there are only nine left and every one of us has been wounded.

"At one time I had eight motar bombs fall round my section. Only two of us were left. Yet one landed within a few inches of me. We were living in mud up to our knees. I need a good rest now but I cannot see me getting it . . ."

Dave discovered that on April 1, 1945 the whole of 2 Commando Brigade Nos 2,9, 40 (RM) and 43 (RM) under Brigadier Ronnie Tod were engaged in Operation Roast at Comacchio Lagoon in north-east Italy.

This was the first major action in the big spring offensive to push Germany back to and across the River Po and out of Italy.

The breakthrough was to be made through the Argenta Gap crossing the rivers Senio and Santerno, taking Imola, Bologna and onwards.

Finally Commando Brigade succeeded in taking and clearing the entire spit and securing the east flank for the 8th Army.

Nearly 1,000 prisoners were taken and it was later discovered that German losses were so heavy as to have wiped out three battalions, two troops of artillery and a company of machine gunners.

Says Dave: "It is obvious that Edward Pitt, now a corporal and a member of the special forces had been in Italy for some time and had been in the thick of the action as allied forces fought their way northwards, pushing the Germans who in return gave heavy resistance.

"Even before the last B Troop had obviously taken many casualties and Corporal Pitt was becoming very tired and suffering depression and physical fatigue."
Thanks Nick.
You're right, there probably isn't a Diary for this period. It's frustrating not being able to find out more about events in Hong Kong after 31 December 1945 though!
Do any of you know if a War Diary was kept at Achnacarry please? Also, was there a Diary for no. 5 or 1/5 during 1946? I've tried searching every permutation I can think of on the National Archives' website but drawn a blank.

Thanks,

Julie
There's a third pattern going up for auction tomorrow. Lot number 1839 here:
http://www.bellmans.co.uk/Bellmans_CatalogueView.aspx?SaleID=93
Thanks Nick.
The newspaper clipping is great!

Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger