commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Julie W
Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
While researching my relation, Larry Stephens of 5 Commando's, post-War association with Tony Hancock, I came across a newspaper article about Hancock's Royal Variety Performance appearance in 1952. Also on the bill was Gerry Brereton who is described as "a blind singer who was unknown until he appeared on radio and television a month ago. He comes from Stockport and lost his sight while serving in a Commando raid in 1943"

Do any of you know anything more about Gerry Brereton please - who he served with & where he lost his sight?

Thanks,

Julie
Today, I finally got round to reading an article I took a copy of at the Spean Bridge Hotel last November. It is from 'The Globe & Laurel' of December 1962 and is a description of a trip made to Achnacarry. One paragraph in particular caught my eye:

"On the walk back we decided to look for the site of the famous exercise of the course - the Opposed Landing. Time has conquered the efforts of the many landings on the beach, and here again very little remains to mark a heartbreaking assault, but not far from there we discovered the concrete remains of three mock-up landing craft - or so we surmised."

A new project for Paul & his team perhaps?!!
By coincidence, I was reading about the unveiling of the Memorial earlier. I read that families in Fort William played host to many of the ex-Commandos and their families who attended the unveiling, a move that was apparently inspired by the residents of Flushing who had done the same when their Memorial was unveiled.

Anyway, this was the Queen Mother's speech:

Raised in clouded and urgent days, the Commandos hardened themselves for battle by land, sea & air, in which nothing was certain except the hazards they would have to face. To them danger was a spur and the unknown but a challenge. The young men of our country have never failed to answer such a call and volunteers for the Commandos flocked from north and south, from east and west, and from every arm - most notably from that famous corps, the Royal Marines. Daring and courage belong to no particular locality in Britain but no country made a greater contribution than Scotland. It is fitting therefore that this memorial should be raised in this magnificent setting here at Achnacarry where the Commandos were trained... We remember with pride all they achieved and with gratitude we remember the many who gave their lives that this country might survive

And there is a video clip here:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=30371
I've attached the listing taken from the Commando Casualties return held at the National Archives. The KIA at sea on 12 Feb 44 is very strange as at the time No. 5 were camped at Kedgaon...
Hi Stephen,

I visited the National Archives yesterday so I had a look at the No. 5 War Diary for June 1943. Unfortunately there is no mention of your dad:

1 June: No. 5 Commando returned from Studland Battle Range
2 June: Troop training - street fighting practice - minefield clearing - map reading and compass work
3 June: The death occurred by gunshot of L/Sgt FH Brown 833166 at Sandown
4 June: Troop training - speed march - fighting patrols & swimming in clothes - battle drill
5 June: Troop training - arms inspections - French phrases - semaphore
6 June: Sunday
7 June: Major B.E. Woodcock assumes command of Unit during temporary absence of Lt Col D.M. Shaw, MC on duty. Lt N MacArthur placed on "Sick in Quarters" list
8 June: Troop training - 1, 2, 3 and 5 troops march to Newtown Range area
9 June: Nos 1, 2, 3 and 5 troops fire classification practices at Newtown Range. 4 troop march to assault course for three days schemes and bivouacking
10 June: Lt Col D.M. Shaw, MC reassumes command of unit. Lt N. MacArthur taken off "Sick in Quarters" list. Capt H.A.A. Bray, MC Dorset Regt. ceases to be attached on joining London Transit Camp, Marylebone. Capt H.W. Mount proceeded on Agricultural Leave
11 June: Capt J.A.L. Peebles, MC died at Parkhurst Military Hospital, Newport, IOW
12 June: Troop training - seamanship - first aid - demolition - No. 4 troop returns from bivouac area
13 June: Sunday
14 June: Troop training - training films - identification of German Units - cliff climbing. 5 troop move to bivouac area
15 June: Lt Col Lord Lovat, MC, Deputy Brigade Commander visited unit and inspected training - assault course - field firing - cliff work
16 June: The funeral, with full military honours, of Capt J.A.L. Peebles, MC took place at Parkhurst Military Hospital, Newport, IOW
17 June: Major B.E. Woodcock placed on "Sick in Quarters" list. Troop training - speed march - map reading exercise - fieldcraft
18 June: Troop training - battle drill - field sketching - sniper training - field signals
19 June: Troop training - first aid - W.T. - 5 troop return from week's bivouacking
20 June: Sunday
You deserve all the thanks Nick for your perseverance and dedication in ensuring that Privates Bishop & Hodges have now been recognised as Commandos by the CWGC.

Julie
This is such fantastic news Nick. I can?t stop smiling for you!

Julie
Belly wrote:Can anyone fill in the gaps in the suite of Combined Operations Pamphlets?

A few gaps filled (& a few more created!)

No. 4 Planning of combined operations (b) Army
No. 4(b) Royal Artillery, The Light Regiment (3.7 inch Howitzer)
No. 6 Royal Signals
No. 7(a) Support of the Assault
No. 7(b) Self-propelled artillery; use of SP artillery in support of a beach assault and formation of a covering position
No. 7(c) Control of seaborne support in amphibious assault
No. 7(d) Diagrammatic Fire Plan for a Combined Operation
No. 7(e) Fire Support instructions, Landing Craft, Gun Medium (Marks I & II (LCG(M)(I) and (2)
No. 21 Conduct of a Long Range Assault in the Far East
No. 36 Underwater Obstacles
My pleasure Nick. I hope it leads to more for you.

Julie
Captain NCN Housden (90849) of No. 5 Commando is another
I think WPP may be Weekend Privilege Pass.

As for Lochailort, I spent a bit of time in Fort William library looking through ?Commando Country? by Stuart Allan which had lots of information about Lochailort but as I was speed reading and mainly looking for stuff about Achnacarry I can?t remember exactly what it said I?m afraid!

Julie
Maurice Chauvet possibly?
I had a truly magical weekend and it was lovely to meet you all & put faces to names at last. I?d been a bit apprehensive about travelling to Fort William on my own but everyone was so warm & welcoming ? thank you all for helping to make my time there so special.

Julie
It will be my first visit to FW and I?m looking forward to meeting you all.

Julie
The Reina del Pacifico, the ship that No.5 & 44 RM travelled to India on in 1943, was scrapped in 1958 & some of the wooden panelling from the ship?s interior ended up at the Cornmarket pub in Liverpool. I?ve been in Liverpool for the past few days & so popped into the pub to take a few photos. Apologies for the poor quality ? the lighting wasn?t very good (& I am a rubbish photographer!)

Forum Index » Profile for Julie W » Messages posted by Julie W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger