commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/2nd-commando.69370/

Found this.
Kevin
Have just ordered a paperback copy.
Again, many thanks.
Kevin
Thanks Vic, had a look on their web site just now, as you said sold out. Can't find the paperback version though, I know Amazon has a PDF version for apps. but a hard back copy would be better.
Thanks again
Kevin
The First Casualty - The Untold Story of the Falklands War
by Ricky D. Phillips.

Have made an on line search but can't find a seller for a hard back copy, any ideas?
Kevin
Today
Good on you Nick, you were lucky to get your money back. I always use the local library when using these websites. It's free and if info not available then a Google search can give some reasonable results. These websites are there to make money.
Kevin
It all started in America last month, my grandson wanted a drawing for school as we had taken a poppy over with us (as it was Veterans day over there) which he had taken to school for Veterans Day. Being Welsh/British i found the step by step 'how to' draw the 43rd of Foot who had fought in Saratoga, so i drew it on paper, in pencil (to rub it in a bit) and he left it in school. My daughter asked if i would draw another picture for him. I went to Wilkos today and bought some watercolour paint and paper, sketched, drew and coloured, and sent him both copies via email.

Kevin
Just finished this.
Never put paint to paper before except for kitchen celling.
Kevin
'Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Ddiogel i bawb.'

Possibly the first this this year.

Happy Christmas and a safe New Year to ALL.

Kevin
Extracts from Royal Marines Museum

UNIT HISTORY SUMMARIES [Reproduced by the kind permission of J D Ladd from ?The Royal Marines 1919-2000?]

Ocean Fortresses
In September 1941 Col (later Brigadier) C. T. Brown reconnoitred Addu Atoll, as a result MNBDO I provided 500 all ranks in force ?Overt?. This force was commanded by Brig C. T. Brown until he was killed in a flying accident, he was succeeded by Brig Lukis. The personnel of ?Overt? installed guns on; Addu Atoll; on other islands including those in the Seychelles; and on a tiny atoll in the Chagos Archipelago some 1,000 miles south?west of Ceylon.10 This small atoll of Diego Garcia would become familiar to Marines serving there in the 1990s with NP 1002. It is hot and humid with no land over six feet above sea level. During 1942 the landing points were blasted in the coral on these islands and roads were built linking the landing points to gun sites. Telephone cables were laid and a number of bridges were built for the Addu Atoll sites. In the autumn of 1942 the L & M Units of MNBDO I and RM Engineers returned to Addu Atoll to build Gan aerodrome.11 Although this airfield was abandoned after World War II, it was rebuilt in the 1950s as an RAF staging post, and is used by the USAF in the 1990s. (See also Naval Party 1002). A
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03071846809420407?journalCode=rusi19

Kevin
Buyer be ware! As there are no identification marks to authenticate these daggers. (I personally now only purchase commemorative daggers with limited issue numbers). There are so many 'ringers' out there, 'Original Commando daggers' being among the many.
Hope you get a good one.
Kevin
They were issued with wooden handles.(very hard to find).

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/ribbed_wood/fs_wood_eng.htm

Kevin
In memory of:-
Private 33349 Robert Jones
1/4th.York and Lancaster Regiment
Died of wounds 9th/10th October 1917 at Waterloo Farm ADS whilst attacking the fortified blockhouse of Yetta Farm and Peter Pan on the Belle Vue Spur, Passchendaele ridge on the 8th. Aged 19 would have been 20 on Christmas Day.

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger