commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Just as examples of punishments, looking at my great uncle's ww1 service record he was given three days punishment and loss of one day's pay, for missing church parade. Also 14 days detention for being off sick after having a tattoo in France, (he was a bit of a lad, having recieved three gunshot wounds on three different occasions).
Kevin
He could have been given only a 4 day punishment out of a possible maximum of 14 days for a minor offence.
Kevin
Regulations for the Navy part 2, Mod.
I would imagine that the offence of striking a superior officer would demand a greater punishment than extra work and drill. (This I know from my father's expirience in India/Burma).
Summary Punishments: - (1) The following punishments may be awarded
summarily to sailors other than Artificer Apprentices and Boys under training
subject to the provisions of the Act and these regulations and may be referred to
by the numbers prefixed to each of them, namely: -
No. 1 - Imprisonment for a period not exceeding three months:

No.2 - Detention for a period not exceeding three months.

No.3 - Dismissal from the Naval service;
No.3A - Forfeiture of seniority in rank of not more than 12 months in case
of Master Chief Petty Officer
No.3B - Forfeiture of time for promotion of not more than 12 months in
case of Master Chief Petty Officer;
No.4 - Reduction in rank;
No.5 - Fine in respect of Civil offences;
No.6 - Mulcts of pay and allowances;
No.7 - Omitted;
No.8 - Solitary confinement in a cell or under a canvas screen for a period
not exceeding fourteen days;
No.9 - Deprivation of Good Conduct Badge and Good Conduct Medal;
No.10 - Reprimand by the Captain;
No.11 - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding fourteen days;
No.12 - Stoppage of leave for a period not exceeding sixty days;
No.13 - Extra work or drill for not more than two hours in a day for a
period not exceeding seven days;
No.14 - Admonition.

(2) The punishments which may be awarded to Artificer Apprentices and Boys
under training shall be as set forth in Chapter III of these Regulations.o
No.11 - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding fourteen days;

Kevin
My imput was from the Canadian 'W' Beach Commando, it has an insight into the training they received in Scotland, arms and equipment etc.
Kevin
No probs, thanks.
Kevin
Altogether eight RN Beach Commandos took part in the June 6 D-Day Normandy landings:

"F" and "R" in Gold sector under Force G.

"L", "P", and "S" in Juno sector under Force J.
(Force J, is limited to Juno sector's two beaches, respectively named "Mike" and "Nan" which were located within the ten-mile stretch from Graye-sur-Mer on the west to Langrune-sur-Mer on the east, with Courseulles-sur-Mer and Bernieres-sur-Mer situated in between).

"J", "Q", and "T" in Sword sector under Force S.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030018990

Good luck
Kevin
Many thanks one and all.
Kevin
From Churchill's records:-
''Following Churchill's wishes for "a corps of at least 5,000 parachute troops, suitably organised and equipped" a Parachute Training School was established at Ringway Airport near Manchester, and No 2 Commando was chosen for the first training in parachute duties; the regiment quickly growing into the 11th Special Air Service Battalion and ultimately, on the 1st August 1942, the Parachute Regiment. By the end of World War Two, the Regiment comprised 17 battalions".
Kevin
Have found drive shafts of Duce&½ as fence post around the lower fields, also when we used to go absailing under ground in the Moelwyn quarries a Zippo lighter was found. I've always thought that they were a mountain warfare unit (or a penal unit but I can't see this as an option) some say the were sent to Guame and were decimated. I have been looking for years for American Units/Army camps in this area with no luck.
I've always fancied metal detecting the site after the lockdown with the farmers permission.
Kevin
Over the lockdown trying to find information about the American Units stationed there during WW2.
I know that they used to visit the cinema here in Blaenau Ffestiniog, I also know that they used to give bananas to local children who had never seen a banana before, also a deceased friend who remembers them giving him their money before they left. Also this camp was flooded, after the local farmer told them of the unsuitability of the site.
Many thanks Bill, hoping that all will be better for us in the New Year. Keep safe and well, one and all.

"Fe ddaw haul ar fryn unwaith eto"

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda.
Kevin
The quoted reply was from a climbing equipment manufacturer who did not elaborate further as to its possible use.
But to throw the pervebial spanner.
As it appears to be made of copper or brass and that copper equipment was used in maritime/naval equipment such as diving (helmet, etc). Also if it was a millitery manufactured item would it not have a broad arrow mark? Also could it be a "pick up" and not a Commando related item.
Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger