commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Hi Andy,

Could the Super be Supernumerary?

Kevin
Hi, Pete
There is little mention of 142 Commando.
My father applied for a posting of Warrant Officer to 142 Commando in early June 1942 after being posted from No1 Commando to 204 Military Mission India Command (17/3/42). On Fri. 24 July the main 204 draft leave Pataria for China flying from Calcutta, I'm sure that this was the area where 142 Commando did its training as (on Sun. 5 July they attended Brig. Mike Calverts lecture on jungle life). On 30 July my father takes charge of 142 Commando until the officer returns from sick leave, they move to new lines and he takes the section out on demolition, they are ordered to pack up on Aug 4 and move on to Saugor near Jhansi they arrive on Fri. 7 at 5.30 pm and march 4 miles to their billets. This was where Wingates 77th Brigade had it's main training ground (the jungle that surrounded this area was similar to the areas in Burma that they were to operate in). He relinquishes his rank of RSM with 142 Commando on 16/8/42 and posted to re-enforcement base camp in Deolali.
From early June to August 1942 there is no mention in his diary of what they did except for the entry of 30 July where he mentions demolitions.
Cheers
Kevin
Hi, Andy, hope all is well.
I've just looked at your father's Service Record download, and I'm sure they must have known each other.
As dad was posted to Special Service Brigade on 10/11/1940, and posted to No1Commando on the same day 4/03/41. The only difference was that dad was posted to No9 Independent Company two months prior to your fathers posting there. Could you have a look if you've any group photos of these dates, you have his photo and you may be able to identify him. As I'm sure they must have drifted appart early on in the formation of No1.
Cheers and all the best to you and others for the New Year on this forum.

Kevin
Linda will wait for her glass of white wine?
Kevin
Nick, have just asked the wife (Linda) and she suggests-Meirion Wicker
Cheers
Kevin
Pete
Possibly- Prisoner Winter 1942?

That's the best I can come up with.
Cheers
Kevin
Stephen, my father also served alongside the Gukhas whilst in Burma. Many thanks to you and others that have so far added to this thread.
Cheers
Kevin
Have just read this in the US, and am personally glad that they have won the right to stay in the UK. What a pitty it had to go to the high court for a judgment, and I feel a little embarassed, that it had to go that far, when others who may not be as welcomed are allowed to stay to the detrement of others.
To be willing to fight and die in so many wars for an other country whose culture and way of life bears little or no simmilarity to their own, deservedly have won the right to stay.

Kevin
Firstly, many thanks to Andy for the good advice and information received.

I would like to know if it is possible to have a new copy of my late fathers Commando Service Certificate. Many years ago I found his diary, a few photos, a prayer book, medals but nothing else, certificate was either lost or not received?

Cheers
Kevin
Extracts from diary.
Wednesday 11th March 1942
Left Irvine for London, arrived Glasgow 6.45 pm. Arrived London am on Thursday 12th.
Friday 13th
Billeted at the Hotel Central, Marylebone and drew tropical kit.
Monday 16th
Left London for Liverpool 11.10 pm. Arrived 10.30 am and embarked on HMS New Holland
Friday 20th
Sailed in convoy from Liverpool at 12 noon passing Anglesea. Heading to India from there to China to advise the Chinese troops.
Sunday 22nd
Anchored on the Clyde set sail at 8.30 pm on Monday 23rd. Counted 43 ships in convoy.
Saturday 28th (Fifth day at sea).
All gunners at action stations, ships under threat of submarine attack.
Saturday 4th April
Arrived at Free-town awaiting the Queen Mary to join the convoy. Left port at 1pm Saturday 11th April.
Thursday 23 April
Arrived at Cape Town 2 pm. Left Cape Town at 3pm on Sunday 24th.
Monday 4th May passed Madagascar got news or 5th that Madagascar has been taken by B.T.
Saturday 16th May 1942 arrived at Bombay.
Tuesday 19th.
Arrived Deolali, went on rout march in the morning and a run on 20th.
Saturday 20th went on 3mile route march, was attached to the Green Howard.
Tuesday 23rd June arrived at Pataria at 4.30 am 8 mile march to camp.
Monday 27th July
Had to get out of tent at 5 am as the water was coming in. Three men were drowned.
Friday 31 July
Took command of 142 Group and moved into new lines.
Tuesday 4th August
Orders received to pack up and be ready to move on Wednesday the 5th for Saugar
Thursday 6th August
Moving off in the afternoon, marched 8 miles to Patharia arriving at 11pm.
Friday 7th August
Arrived Saugar at 5.30 pm after 4 mile march.

That's all for now
Kevin

Nic, great photos. So proud to see 142 Commando Group on memorial to the Chindits.
All the best
Kevin
As an other son of a No1 Commando, also from the RWF.
Sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Kevin
Maz.The 1939-1945 Star was awarded for service between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945. Qualifying period was six months active operational service. Unlike medals of WW1 unfortunately medals issued in WW2 were no personalised and originals can be bought for between £10 and £15. He should also have had the Defence Medal and the 1939-1945 War Medal. And could well have more Star Medals depending on theater of operation, e.g Burma Star.

Kevin
With hope that my small effort secures funding, to further commemorate the brave service people who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Kevin
John, I can imagine my late father enlisting at the outbreak of war, as his father did in the First World War in the belief in what he thought was the right thing to do in order that he could live his life as he would have wished, in doing so enabling my mother and older sister and brother to live their lives as he would have wished them to. I am a child of the 50's and my father protected me and thus gave me the right to live my life as I wanted, even though there was 50 years between us. I believe that he fought to give me that same right, to do what I think is right( or wrong in other peoples eyes). And these same values I have tried to pass on to my children who are now parents themselves.
And If I wanted to wear a pin or a green beret in his memory then that is what I would do. As I strongly believe that he gave me that right. Yes we are all different and we see things differently, life would be so boring if we were not.
No, I did not do any Commando training, my father did this for me over 60 years ago for my freedom today, and If you want to wear your fathers pin and beret as a sign of pride and lasting respect to his memory then I for one would have no problems with this.
Yes. 'United We Conquer' with the aim to live our lives in freedom, today, tomorrow and for ever.

Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger