commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John M
Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Hi Geoff and all
Just a thought. Like all associations we need to raise cash

I have had his idea for some time so I'll throw it out to you honorable members.

CVA 1st Day covers celebrating various Commando actions etc.

We could start with say the VC winners commemorating the anniversary of the action. We could do say one per year and have them for sale on this site and at FW gathering news letter Etc. We could keep them Limited Editions in small runs and this would add to the value of them.

They would have to be official CVA issues to give them clout.

There are many out there who would collect these exclusive items not only former Cdo's and families but 1st day cover collectors in general + militaria collectors.

What do you think?

Could it be worthwhile?

Cheers
John M :?:
Hi Nic

No we'll never know ...........but your's is as a feasable explanation that I've come across.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Best regards
John M
Yes Nic I agree

But I always understood that the Green Colour was not in service untill the Commandos took it in 1942.

Apparantly it was the green from the Salamander from the No1 Cdo Salamander patch.

I suppose the Beret could just have been incorrectly stamped.

I don't think we''ll ever know
Regards
johnM

Dan
I think that would be a great idea!!

Poll: Yes for me. 8)

John M
Hi Hockhamlain

I have seen these medals before. They come in two sizes. I do not know where they originate but I am fairly certain they are unofficial.

I personally think there should have been a Commando Star in the range of WW2 Stars issued to acknowledge Commando Service. Like the 1939-45 Star Etc.

But I think the 'Top Brass's' dislike of the Commandos in general must have put a stop to that ever coming to fruition.

Perhaps we can start a petition for a Commando Service medal to be issued after all the Suez vets were successful!!

all the best

John M
Ok folks I hope this works .........a picture of the rogue beret
Thanks Geoff

I think you are correct .......it's probably another non commando green beret. Although when you remove the RM badge the imprint seems to be right as though it's been on there a long time.

Just a thought did the boy scouts wear a green beret. :(

I will try to post a pic in the forum.

best regards

JohnM
Hi Nic

To my knowledge No 5 Cdo did not have a unique badge but did the same as all other Cdo units without one. They wore their own Regiments cap badge on their green beret. Most of the WW2 vetereans today still do. My dads green beret has the badge of the Middlesex Regt on it which was his original Regt.

Hope this helps
Good luck
John M
Hi Everyone

Can anyone suggest an answer to a bit of a poser. A Green Beret that I aquired at a local S/H shop has on it an old RM Commando cap badge.

The Beret is clearly dated 1940? according to my research No 1 Commando were the first unit to wear the Green Beret, which was specially comissioned, in 1942 on the Torch landings.

Any suggestions as to the origin of my rogue beret?

Regards
JohnM
Hi Hockhamlain
Thanx for the tips..........yes there is some real rubbish on ebay. I must admit to falling foul to being 'mislead' a couple of times myself.

It's difficult when you just see pictures of the items and some times the sellers have no idea of what they have got anyway. They just see 'COMMANDO' equals cash and whack it in the auction and see what happens.

If more of us can share knowledge like this we can help each other to not get duped in the future.

So thanx again H

John Mewett

UWC
Hi Everyone

I've been collecting memorabilia for the WW2 Commando units for about 4 yrs now and mainly concentrate on my dads units No 12 & no 1 Cdo.

But like everyone at first I was confused as to how to tell the difference between repro and fake items and the real thing.This applies particularly to insignia and the like. I was given a very good tip from a friend who has a massive collection of militaria.

As a rough guide quite simple really old things smell 'OLD' so smelling may seem a strange tip but you will be surprised as to what a good tip it has proven to be. Get yourselves a look at the real thing if possible and compare the smell with a newer fake the difference is quite obvious.

Once you seen touched and smelt the real stuff they'll be no going back.

Good luck folks

John M

Hi Ron

I met you last year at FW and we talked about memorabilia etc.

Good to know you are still enjoyong the company of your dads pals.

Have you managed to view the War Diaries for No 5 yet?

Regards
John Mewett
Thanx Guys
for your comments......the saying 'you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone' rings true.
After this trip we went back in 2002 for the 5o yrs anniversary. We were very fortunate to meet a comrade from No 1 & 12 Cdo John Huntington who told us the story of 170 .........a very moving tale. The pride was very evident. I have written to John for the last 5 yrs and I am now proud to call him my friend. Subsequently we were contacted by John Lowman No 1 and Vic Ralph No1 then met up with Harry Winch No12 & No1 got invited to various functions and have enjoyed the company of these modest heroes ever since. I am now the secretary for the East Midlands Branch CVA.which I take as a great honour. The warmth and friendship of the Ex-Commandos has been overwhelming and has proved in words and deeds........'United We Conquer'

Regards

John Mewett

Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger