commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Stephen Donnison
Forum Index » Profile for Stephen Donnison » Messages posted by Stephen Donnison
That drawing of the sergeant in that booklet must be a mistake Surely he wouldnt have had the 2nd issue of the badge in early 1942 at St Nazaire?
Gosh , I wish my ol man was here to explain why he has the 1st issue patch sewn on his beret on that pic, when in others hes got the Lincolns on it
Im actually confused now about the crossed daggers patch
I have a book called Special Forces Insignia which shows the badge and says V Force (Far east) Theres 2 issues,, the first one is 2 daggers and a V. The 2nd issue is a better designed crossed daggers and a V . On my dad's beret is the first issue patch Its hard to see but you can see it
I also have a booklet called Men At War - 1914- 1945 - Army Commandos. Theres illustrations of soldiers from every Commando unit. For No5 Commando theres a sergeant of a kilted Commando at St Nazaire.( there were some No5 involved in the raid) The crossed daggers with a V is clearly sewn on his arm
I will read up more about V Force . Theres a good book called Raiders Of The Arakan that mentions No5 and V Force
My dad also has one those hackles ( is that they are called ?) in his beret But thats the only pic where he has one on
Hey excellent idea!
I 'll be there too! we must all identify ourselves somehow and meet up
I actually saw a badge on eBay last year..
yes ,what a brilliantly told story The Spean Bridge memorial is truly awesome It never ceases to make me look at it in wonder
My father went throught the war with No5 being at the invasion of Madagascar in 1942 and onto Burma Then he had a tragic accident at work late Dec 1951 dying January 1st 1952 My mother who had 3 kids was carrying me. I was born June 1952 So I never knew him But I grew up knowing he was a hero for being a commando .My mother told me everyone in the family had been annoyed at him joining the green berets from the Lincolns as it was dangerous duties and he had a young family. But my dad was quite gung ho I think. He had the time of his life in No5. he was very proud. He use to go down to London for the re-unions I still have the Commando menu cards One of them is full of signatures including Mountbattens!
I too still have his copy of Saunders' The Green Beret which I treasure.
Incidentally ive sent for a new book called The Forgotten Invasion which is about Madagascar . It will include all about No5 Commando 's vital role in it .Should be good
Hey Nic
Ive still got my dad's Commando Ass. badge too!
my ol man
yes please ! but ive got my dad's pic there,,, I was hoping it could be bigger as you can see the No5 Commando Crossed daggers insignia on the side of his beret . That has always confused me . I have pics of him in his green beret with his old Lincolns badge on and others with the crossed daggers Was the cross daggers badge unoffical? why they never had one good badge like the RMs had baffles me
nope didnt work damm
im hoping this has a pic of my dad
hi mate
yes, great pics of your dad . My dad was at Kangaw too with No5 Not sure would he did. I know he was with Capt Beasley and did some Intelligence. Ive got quite a few of my dad in a slouch hat , looking very Australian . I 'll try and download a pic of him in his green beret if i can
Ive been talking to a veteran of No1 Commando,John Lowman who said he knew a Frank Baker at the end of the war when No1 and No5 became 1/5 Commando. When they disbanded John and the others including Frank were sent to units of their choice and he met this Frank Baker in the Queen's Rgt. in Malaya. John wants to know if your Frank was with the Queen's after the war in Singapore , Selerang and Sungei Patani?
Hope this is of help
Anwick Forge is 7 miles from my house. I actually work at the food firm next to it!
The making of the memorial has been shown in our local paper the Lincolnshire Echo . Its looking good
thanks, mate, for the quick reply . No, I dont seem to have his service record So much has been lost in time
any help would be appreciated. thanks again

Forum Index » Profile for Stephen Donnison » Messages posted by Stephen Donnison
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger