commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Police Intakes  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Ash Smart
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

It is now possible that my Grandfather (Albert Kenneth Smart) was with the Birmingham police rather than Leicestershire before going into the Army/Commandos. There seems to be a bit of debate about it in the family, so I will try to find out more for you.

In the meantime, I have found a photograph of him in his police uniform and clearly visible is his collar number: E.686

If this number is of any use and if you happen to find out which police force this relates to I would much obliged to hear about it.

Regards

Photo provided by Ashley and added 24/2/13 to the gallery by Pete R.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/Albert+Smart+9+Cdo.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2013 12:17:09

Ash Smart
United We Conquer
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Another name: Cpl Cecil Ernest Robert Cox, No2 Cdo

In James Owen's book COMMANDO, John Morris, veteran of No2 Cdo, recounts an incident in Albania on 18 March 44.
John recalls,"... we only suffered two casualties. I always remember one. The Germans started to surrender and there was a Spandau post in front of us. There was young chap named Cox, he was from the police intakes. We were always taught that if you see a white flag you don't get up at once. He did, and got a full belt in the stomach... He died a couple of days later..."

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2224098/COX,%20CECIL%20ERNEST%20ROBERT

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Does anyone know if Achnacarry's Ossie Moon or No. 5's Arthur Moon were police officers before or after the war please?

Thanks,

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Julie,
Have no ref for either Moon being members of a police force.

If its the Moon's you are researching I can help no more,but I do have names for either 5 cdo or CBTC if you are interested.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Julie

As a side point I have a very nice photo of Arthur Moon which was given to me by John Lowman who was Arthurs pal in HK......I believe they were in 1/5 cdo together.

[Thumb - arthur Moon No 5.jpg]
 Filename arthur Moon No 5.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  574 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/07/2014 07:56:57

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was just the Moons I was interested in but thanks Graham. And what a great photo John!

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Keith Taylor reminds me that Ken Newby of 46RM Commando was a Police Officer before, during the early part, and again after the war.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kevin Lynott
Forum Member

Good afternoon,

bit of a late comment. The following Metropolitan Police officers were KIA or DoW whilst serving with the Commandos.

ANDREWS Alfred Archley 14604353 RFus (City of London Regiment) attached to No. 1 Commando, on 31/1/45.
ANSELL Arthur James Tpr 14241725 RAC attached to No. 1 Commando 4/3/43.
BLAKEMAN Albert John Fus 14604359 RWFus att No. 6 Commando 15/6/44.
BRIDLE Desmond George L/Cpl 14604360 RScots attached to No. 3 Commando 11/6/44.
CHEETHAM Gerald KCB Fus 6482292 RFus(City of London Regiment) attached to Heavy Weapon Troop No. 2 Commando 27/10/43.
King's commendation for brave conduct during rescue work at Mildmay Park, Islington which was listed in the London Gazette on 28/7/41.
CLARKE Hilary Laurence Fus 6482249 RFus att. No.3 Commando 14/7/43
COX Cecil Ernest Robert Cpl 14241734 RAC attached 1 Troop No.2 Commando 22/3/44.
DAVIES Wyndham Francis Fus 6482247 RFus(City of London Regiment) attached to 6 Troop No.2 Commando 13/9/43.
LLOYD Edmund John L/Cpl 14604377 RWK att No. 1 Commando 31/1/45
OVENDEN Roderick Joseph L/Cpl 14241749 KRRC att No.4 Commando 6/6/44
REEVE Stanley Richardson Fus 14604385 RFus(City of London Regiment) att No. 5 Commando 12/1/45.
TAYLOR William Ronald Fus 14604392R Fus(City of London Regiment) att No.1 Commando 7/2/45.
TUNGATT Leonard Frederick Fus 14604394 RFus (City of London Regiment) att No. 5 Commando 28/1/45.
WEEKES Sydney George Douglas Fus 6482277 RFus (City of London Regiment) att No.1 Commando 1/12/42.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin

Thanks for posting the details above. All the Commandos are listed on our WW2 Roll of Honour but only two are so far listed as Police Intakes. Can you advise me of the source of your information so as I can add that.

Users can search our WW2 ROH here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/commando_roll_of_honour_WW2

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2023 15:47:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Kevin Lynott
Forum Member

Evening Peter,

They are listed on the Met Police roll of honour. I have identified their dates of joining the Met in MetPol attestation ledgers held by the National Archives. Their deaths are also recorded in the officers leaving ledger giving the dates of leaving commensurate with the CWGC date.
Hope this helps

Regards

Kevin
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for this Kevin. Will update them all.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

All now updated. Found some useful data on The 1939 Register about several of them regarding their service, dates of birth, and addresses/section houses. I have added this to details I had already included when first creating the entries.

View each one by entering their surname on the WW2 Roll of Honour here

https://www.commandoveterans.org/commando_roll_of_honour_WW2

ANSELL, Arthur James
BLAKEMAN, Albert John
BRIDLE, Desmond George
CHEETHAM, Gerald
CLARKE, Hilary Laurence
COX, Cecil Ernest Robert
DAVIES, Wyndam Francis
LLOYD, Edmund John
OVENDEN, Roderick Joseph
REEVE, Stanley Richardson
TAYLOR, William Ronald
TUNGATT, Leonard Frederick
WEEKES, Sydney George Douglas
ANDREWS, Alfred Archley.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 15/02/2023 15:48:08

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been adding pages on Police Intake commandos to the archive and to date I have created 80 pages on individuals but I have many more to add. As you will see there are different sources referencing both their Police Service found on The 1939 Register (some are not as easy to find as others) with that of other official sources such as the casualty records and the original commando association references such as the Lost Legions on here or the CA Newsletters, etc. Those where I cannot find a proper source I am leaving to the end. So please add your source details in full for each individual if adding a name you have found to this forum thread. I may not add them straight away if I am busy but at least they are on here and can be found on a google search until I do. If you have access to the 1939 Register please include the details you find there regarding Police Service and other details. It is very time consuming but the list is growing !

The Police Intakes can be found on the drop down menu at the top of the home page next to prisoners of war ( 500+ so far and growing) or via this link:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/police_volunteers_ww2

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/02/2023 15:48:31

[Email]
Kevin Lynott
Forum Member

Good evening, I followed the link to the police officers. You describe the officers as former police officers. Certainly in the case of the Metropolitan Police force their officers who enlisted in the militaryy were considered 'off pay' with an expectation they would return to the service at the end of hostilities. Indeed if an officers service pay was less than their pay in the Met, it was made up by the Met. Over 125 Met officers did not return to the police because of wounds or illness or stayed in the military. Their date of leaving the Met would be recorded as that date and not the date they enlisted. Also when one of the six hundred Met officers who were KIA, DOW or DOAS their leaving date from the Met is shown as the date of death.
Regards
Kevin
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin
Yes a valid point. The word former is used as status at that time and placed after their military rank and name. They were a soldier at that time, their former status is shown where I can find it as a Police rank. That was my intention however yours is a valid observation and an explanation can be added. You seem to have an interest and access to useful info. Perhaps you could put something together into a history of the Police Officers who served in the Armed Forces and include references to any information included there. I note that on online Police Rolls of Honour including one where the Met Commissioner is Patron do not seem to include any of the names you provided, nor any reference to another Roll of Honour such as the CWGC database where of course Police service is not included.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/06/2021 09:58:22

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger