commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Passing of a fellow Commando - Bob Bishop MC No 2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob Bishop wrote:My utmost thanks to all of you for the love and support you have given me. I will treasure all the messages and comments forever. Bob would be very honoured but embarrassed by the tribute you have given him.

I will now continue home today. My sister came to Montreal to be with me and our cousin is driving us home to Burlington. I will then print out all the wonderful letters for Bob's sons, Andy and Bob Jr.

I will keep in touch with you - Bob's and my real family.

With all my love and eternal thanks

Janet

Dear Janet,

I'm sure everyone (even those who were unfortunate enough never to have met Bob), will agree with me when I say that we all loved, honoured and respected Bob.
A truly brave and proud commando yet he was typically modest too, he had an enviable memory, a wonderful, mischievous sense of humour, and was generous with his advice and help.

But, what people may not appreciate, is his absolute devotion to you.

He told me that it was you that helped him through a tough time in his life - even though you were also struggling with a personal tragedy of your own.
He openly admitted that he didn't know what would have happened had he not met you and had you not been there for him.

Janet, thank you for loving and supporting Bob, for being there for him, for sharing him with us.
Thanks for all your work on the Forum too.

I'm so pleased that you're going to keep in touch with us. And don't forget, if there is anything you need or if we can help in any way, - just shout! (sorry if I keep repeating myself too)

Love & best wishes,

Nick & Sue

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2008 12:57:59

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hear hear Nick
God bless you Janet Our best regards to Bob's boys too

SE Donnison
[MSN]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

I would like to give my great sympathy to Janet.
I never met BOB, but it was a pleasure to read his knowledge and help for relatives of commandos.
He was "history".
But like all other commandos, he will stay for ever in our hearts.
REST IN PEACE, BOB. GOD BLESS YOU.

Stéphane
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My brother and I were both deeply touched by the kind sentiments expressed by CVA members at the loss of our dearest Dad.

Bob was a brave, kind, generous, selfless and extremely hard-working father who dedicated his life to his family's well-being . The same qualities that made our Dad the consumate Commando made him the consumate Father. Our lives are greatly diminished by his passing.

God bless and keep Janet, his loving wife, and friends at the CVA.

Robert & Andrew Bishop
[Thumb - bob & sons.jpg]
 Filename bob & sons.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  332 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Robert & Andrew

What a wonderful photo. Nice to see the two of you.

We have been given a wonderful inheritance by our Commando fathers. They were heroes and yet such unassuming men willing to help anyone. We can be proud of their legacy.

Thinking of you all.

God's richest blessing.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Beautifully written lads Really nice photo Have added it to my photo gallery

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Janet and family.

I'm sorry to here the sad news of Bob's passing.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob but as regular reader of the sites posts feel deeply saddened by the news.

Bob's contribution to this site has given many Sons, Daughters and relatives of former Commandos a valuable source of information and support.

Regards Vic
lauren_bishop_bissonnette
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just read all the lovely messages regarding the passing of my grandfather. It is unfortunate that the physical distance between us meant we were not as close as we should have been. It has been nice reading how much he meant to so many of you. He was a great man and is obviously missed by many, including his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Lauren
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Bob and Janet at the Alex on Saturday night (8/11)
[Thumb - RemembranceDay2008 025.JPG]
 Filename RemembranceDay2008 025.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 409 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  343 time(s)

Di Robinson
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fare you well, Bob and God Bless, Janet. Sorry I missed you.

Harry J.

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Mike Murphy
Forum Member

I like to thank everyone who has posted on the passing of my grandfather. As being a veteran myself (3/505 PIR - 82nd Airborne), I truly understand the relationships that you make in the service stays with you for a lifetime.
He will be missed.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mike Murphy wrote:I like to thank everyone who has posted on the passing of my grandfather. As being a veteran myself (3/505 PIR - 82nd Airborne), I truly understand the relationships that you make in the service stays with you for a lifetime.
He will be missed.

Hi Mike,

Your Grandfather will certainly be missed by us all, not only his fellow veterans, but everyone who posts on this forum - the sons, daughters, grandchildren etc of veterans.
He was a great guy and it was an honour and privilege to know him.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
home
Forum Member

Thank you for all the kind words for my grandfather. It's comforting to know he is loved by so many. He is truly missed and will forever be in our hearts.

Christine Sullentrup
Admin
Forum Member

It is hard to find the words to say, Bob to me was a true friend and his contribution to this website and to the memory and history of the commandos can never be replaced.

My first contact with Bob was through this Forum. Bob and Janet have been contributing to this site from the very early days. Bob was an expert on the History of No2 Commando and was very knowledgeable on the other commando units too. He and Janet have helped numerous users of the site to locate information on their commando relatives and friends. They have compiled lists of commandos Killed In Action and They Also Served, the photos that they have shared are invaluable and Bob's History of No2 Commando is real history.

I am glad I met Bob and Janet at Fort William last year. In person, there was no mistaking Bob was a good and kind man, who radiated warmth and humor. He also had the "dignified and modest" commando spirit. I will miss you Bob.

I hope Janet can continue to contribute to this site and our thoughts are with you and your family.

Dan & Gillian

[Thumb - BobBishop_Scotland2007.jpg]
 Filename BobBishop_Scotland2007.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Here is my favorite photo of Bob, with Janet and a family friend taken at Last Years Fort William gathering. (2007)
 Filesize 131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  342 time(s)

ym
Forum Member

I am shocked to learn the sad news of Bobs passing having had the pleasure of meeting him and Janet in Fort William after corresponding for some time.

His knowledge of No 2 Commando was extraordinary and he very kindly spend a lot of time providing information about my late dads service and identifying photographs he had taken.

The world is a sadder place for his loss. Janet and family, please know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Yvonne David Daniel & Kyle

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger