commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Passing of a fellow Commando - Bob Bishop MC No 2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

It is again with deep regret and great difficulty that I inform you of the sad news of the passing of a dear friend and fellow Commando - Bob Bishop. We were all with Bob and his loving wife Janet in Fort William last week, only saying our farewells this Monday morning. Unfortunately Bob had a heart attack on their flight back to Canada.

Janet is now with family in Montreal and is obviously in a state of shock. I have spoken to Bob's son who will inform us of anything that he can as soon as he hears anything. Our thoughts are with Janet and all of Bob's family at this sad time.

Bob will indeed be remembered as not just our senior historian on most things Commando, but as a wonderful fellow and friend - God bless!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/04/2012 15:25:50

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was with deep shock that I read Geoffs message on the passing of Bob Bishop it is only a few hours since i sent a private message to Bob and Janet as they had not been on the Forum when they arrived home as they said they would . I only met Bob and Janet last weekend but I had been in contact with them prior to this.

Both Bob and Janet made us very welcome and I enjoyed the time my wife and I spent with them ,Bob and I spent a lot of time talking and smoking together in the doorway putting the world to right

In the short time I knew him I considered him to be a friend and he will be deeply missed.

May I along with his many friends give my condolences to Janet and family

Keith and Pat Hurst

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 13/11/2008 21:12:35

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Words cannot express how I felt at the sad news of Bob's passing.

I had got to know Bob through this wonderful forum and I felt that I'd known him for a very long time.
I sadly missed the Gathering last year but was determined to make it this year as Bob & Janet had intimated that they would not be coming back to the UK again.
Sue & I spent a lot of time in the company of Bob & Janet this last weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed their company. It was as if Bob and I had been friends for years.
I was honoured to have met him.

Janet & I have exchanged a few pm's earlier today and I'm sure she won't mind if I tell you that Bob had enjoyed the trip too. She is also sure that the dear old warrior did not suffer.

My thoughts, love and prayers go out to Janet tonight.

May Bob Bishop Requiescat In Pace.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

To Bob,
From one Norfolk Boy to another, Just a simple God Bless You, Bev and I will miss you immensley.
Ron and Bev
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Bob
Was a wonderful humorous kind and gentle soul a character that belied his fabulous service record that I was honored to have been shown at FW this
weekend.

God bless you Bob .........farewell old friend.

Janet our thoughts and prayers are with you tonight.

with much love
John & Bernie Mewett

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob another hero passed on to join the heroes that are the Commandos. It was a privilage to knpw Bob we will miss him. He has helped so many trace their relatives history. Janet and all the family know that we share your grief. I will put a cross in at the memorial for him.

God's richest blessing.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Bill Harvey and all the family

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
lushershouse
Forum Member

we are heartbroken by this sad news, our deepest heartfelt sympathy goes to Janet and family.

We had a good chuckle this weekend, as the more we chatted the more his good ole norfolk accent shone through......aahhh bore !! ( Bob will know what i`m on about !! )

Bob was a true gent, we`re proud to have met both himself and Janet, and are grateful for the time that we had together chatting, unfortunately the world will be a sadder place without him.

So farewell Bob, no doubt you`re having one heck of a reunion right now !!

Love and hugs to you Janet xxx

All our love
Denise, Nick, Rubes and Ethan xxxx

Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My heartfelt sympathies go out to Janet and all Bob`s family at this time.

I only first met Bob and Janet a few days ago at Fort William and feel deeply privileged to have shared some time together in his company.

He shall be greatly missed.

God Bless you Bob.

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I am so saddenned to hear this. I too met Bob and Janet for the first time at Fort William. They were such a warm and welcoming couple. My heart goes out to Janet and all of the family. He , like my father and my uncle, served in No.2 Commando, and I will always remember his kind words about them.
Rest in peace Bob

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ive just got home from work. 11-45pm Ive just switched to the forum and what awful news. Im sat here stunned . We gave each other a lovely hug goodbye at the Alex and he said "take care Stevie boy " ive got some smashing photos of him to post , What a loss to us. He and Janet were true friends .. I cant believe it
God bless you Bob ,,My thoughts too for Janet . Hazel is here now shocked too, Im so glad she got to meet him . I will tell Roy in the morning

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Jennifer Barlow
Forum Member

Cannot come to terms with the fact that Bob is no longer with us. I had lunch with Bob and Janet on Monday and spent a good part of the afternoon with them and Vera Bartholomew while waiting for the night sleeper to London. After the noise, banter and hectic activity of the past few days, it was a good time to reflect on events, talk about their life in Canada, Christmas plans and the hope that they would return next year - just a peaceful, ordinary, domestic afternoon. I can still feel the warmth and affection in their hugs as we parted and will always remember their kindness. My father, Jack, also served in No 2 Cdo and Bob's History was invaluable in trying to piece together his activities. I'm sure we are all grieving for a dear friend that we couldn't afford to lose and that our hearts go out to Janet in her terrible loss. I'm sure that she'll remember how everyone's faces lit up when they came into the room and how much love we have for them.

We will remember him.
Creedy76
Forum Member

I am greatly saddened by the news of Bob?s passing. It was only on Monday morning I was saying goodbye to Janet and Bob in the hotel reception in Fort William and gave Bob a big hug & kiss goodbye. I met Bob and Janet on my first visit to Fort William in 2007 and it was a great pleasure to see them both again.

A truly lovely man who will be deeply missed, and I feel honoured that my son Thomas was able to meet him.

Our thoughts are with Janet and family.

Sam, Neil and Thomas xx
Anthony Stilwell
Forum Member

This is the First time that i come on to this Forum ,First of all i would like to introduce myself , i am Major Michael Stilwell's eldest son ,i was proposed by Bob Bishop to become an Associate Member of the CVA ,i am very Honoured to belong to such an Important Association , I wear the Badge with Great Pride.
I would like to express my deep sorrow at Bob's Departure , this morning i received an Email from Janet breaking the News ,i was shell shocked and lost for words.......I met Bob in Portugal 2 years ago when he came out all the way from Canada to meet once again his Commanding Officer in Nš2 Commando , 62 Years on ,Bob only realized that Dad was still alive after the Stand Down Parade in Portsmouth of the "Commando Association" on the 18th of September 2005 which Dad attended . Bob reached us through the Royal British Legion , when we realized, me and my Brothers,who Bob was and his close ties to Dad we organized for him and Janet to come over to Portugal for him to meet up with his former CO,until the day i die i will never forget their reencounter up at the house in Sintra , i have never ever seen anyone Salute anyone the way Bob saluted my Father.......and the following 2 weeks with them ,their stories,horrifying most of them,remembering Comrades , it was incredible to listen to them.....it brought me to my senses ,these Men along with all the others went to Hell and back !!
Special Breed , and thanks to them we Live in a Free World despite all the ongoing issues .
It was an Incredible Honour to of met and spend time with Bob Bishop , his enthusiasm with the CVA , his tremendous dedication in putting the record Books straight , his last article on the the Duke of Wellington and last but not least , his Obituary to my Father had tears coming down my face 4 by 4....He was Very Special ....May he Rest in Peace in the Company of all his so much Loved Comrades .
To Janet , a Hug the size of the World.

Anthony Stilwell
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am absolutely devastated by such sad and unexpected news and Chris and my heartfelt sympathy go out to Janet.

As others have stated so eloquently Bob was a true gentleman and a quiet hero of our time. It was such an honour and privilege to have known and to have met him. He proposed my membership of the CVA and was extremely supportive and helpful in my research of my father?s service. Without his guidance I would not have found out as much as I have.

I was introduced to Bob and Janet by Denise at my first gathering in 2007 he was a man of such personality that he engendered everyone to him. He was also a very humorous man who often chided me about my physical condition after I did the speed march!

Speaking to him this year, albeit briefly he congratulated me on completing my annual speed march and making it a special event for my family. He and Janet were the last members of the CVA we spoke to before we left.

I shall miss him so much, but I am sure that as a result of his endeavours his legacy will remain with the CVA and shine like a beacon to us all as to what the CVA really stands for

If I may use naval terminology,

Calm seas and safe shores Bob

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
Andrew Unwin
Forum Member

Sheryl & I are both deeply saddened to hear this awful news. Obvioiusly Janet and their family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Like others, Bob sponsored my associate membership and I had the absolute privelidge of meeting him on Saturday and introducing him to my wife, son, and future daughter in law. Bob had lots to say about where we live in Florida, and recounted his own experiences from when he lived here.

No words of mine could do justice to Bob. He was, is and will always remain, an absolute gentleman and I count myself as fortunate to have met him.
aim icon [MSN]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger