commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Passing of a fellow Commando - Bob Bishop MC No 2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm remembering my dear Bob today of course, and must thank all our wonderful friends, again, for their help and support to me over the Remembrance Weekend in Fort William. I had dreaded the timing, but now realize it was just perfect.

The Commando Family is an amazing thing and I am so blessed to be a part of it.

Love and my never-ending thanks to you all,

Janet
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Janet

God bless Bob .........and hugs and love to you.

John & Bernie

Dan & Gillian

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Janet

It was great to see you at FW this year albeit for such a short time. I'll make a promise to come up longer next year if you promise to come back to Scotland and share another wee dram of Isle of Jura with me. We'll toast Bob and all his Commando comrades, with a special thought for 2 Commando

Love Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Janet,
It was great to see you again and I'm sure that we all appreciate that the whole prospect must have been awful. However, you were fantastically brave to have faced and overcome it - that old warrior Bob must be very proud of you (as indeed we are).

Yes we are a family, so don't forget that if you need anything - just shout!

There's only one thing I won't do and that's your cleaning task - so see you next year )
Anyway, I promised you a meal in the Ben Nevis Inn.

Love,
Nick & Sue

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

sorry i missed you Janet, Hope you can make it next year ,Saw Roy last night he sends his best regards. A year since Bob left us ,, Ican see him now ,,, callin me Stevie Boy ,,loved it. God bless him

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rest in Peace.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Janet

Bob is at rest now where he trained Achnacarry. He has joined his comrades again.

We will remember him and them. We the Commando family.

Love

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jennie Barlow took this photo of Bob's plaque in the Remembrance Garden which she passed onto Janet Bishop. It is now included in the album we have for the Remembrance Garden. Here is the link to it :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/Spean+Bridge+2009/Bob_s+plaque.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2009 20:39:05

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Janet, it was so good to see you at Fort Wm. It was obviously a very difficult time for you but it was so nice to spend time with you and Vera and to share that special toast at dinner on the Saturday evening to our absent friends - the 2 Bob's, Ron's dad and mine. They will always be in our thoughts and we have many happy memories to look back on.

Will be in touch very soon as we have a superb photo of yourself that we need to send you.

Take care and see you next year!!
Bev and Ron xx
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Janet has sent me the following about Bob's final resting place in Commando Country. With her permission I quote from that message:
"It went better than I could have imagined. Scotty had recommended a better spot than the bridge. While we were all milling around at Achnacarry House, Stan, Geoff and Bill went on their scouting mission to locate the spot and finalize arrangements. When they were ready Steve Unwin and Dave Tudor helped me get there. Bernie carried dear Bob for me and the others just seemed to fall into place behind us. We lined up around Bill, Geoff and Stan, Bernie and Pam on one side of me and Geoff's son Jack just appeared to take up the other flank. I knew the others were all there close by. Stan said a 'few' words about the spot, Bill did just what I wanted, Geoff read the Commando Prayer, and Steve Unwin read Tennyson's 'Crossing the Bar'.
The sun had come out, it was quiet, peaceful, magical and perfect. When Bill did scatter the ashes he improved on my 'plan' and they are around a mossy stump beside the river. I realize this is much better as it is a permanent place I can visualize. It was just so quiet. I remember feeling my wonderful friends draw even closer and it was like we were all one. We all sort of mingled around after, photos taken thankfully. Fred Davis was taking a video but I haven't heard whether or not that worked. I hope it did.
Then Steve and Bill and I headed off. I thought others were on the way too so we kept going back to where I thought Ron had parked his car. But no, he'd left it by the gates and everyone was looking for me wondering where I'd gone. Finally found me waiting for them and we proceeded on to the Garden of Remembrance with Ron, Bev, Vera, Bill, Steve, John and Bernie, where we placed the Plaque. Again we found a perfect spot, near Tiny Burke, right in line with the Memorial.
The warmth and love I experienced that day will see me through for a long time to come"
[Thumb - We will remember them.jpg]
 Filename We will remember them.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  380 time(s)

[Thumb - Bob' place beside the River Arkaig.jpg]
 Filename Bob' place beside the River Arkaig.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  362 time(s)

[Thumb - Bill, Stan and Geoff scatter Bobs ashes.jpg]
 Filename Bill, Stan and Geoff scatter Bobs ashes.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  352 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/11/2009 14:45:15

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Janet further asked me to mention this "Steve Unwin made the trip up from York and back in one day. There was a memorial at the University for his wife's boss that evening, but Steve insisted on being there for Bob and me that morning. He got to The Alex around 8 AM, left from the memorial before noon. I don't know how he did it but I certainly appreciate him being there too."

Here is a link to the entry in the No.2 Commando Album for Bob where at the bottom of the page is a sub album with copies of these pictures, the order of service, the Commando Prayer , and the words of Crossing the Bar:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Bob+Bishop/

Rest in Peace Bob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/11/2009 14:22:50

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am here at the Alexandra Hotel, surrounded by our CVA family and friends, remembering my dear Bob. Yesterday we were able to visit Achnacarry and spend a few moments at the special spot along the River.

Thank you.

Love, Janet
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Another year marked in Fort William with our wonderful friends and this year with Bob and Kevin as well to make it even more memorable. Thanks to all.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear old Bob, I still regard myself as very privileged to have met him - what a good weekend that was.
We Will Always Remember Him.

It was great to see Bobby & Kevin with you this year Janet, I'm sure Bob will be very pleased.

God Bless,

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2011 13:40:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A lovely and fitting spot Janet, I can still here his voice in my head when I think of the times we visited . Nice to meet Kevin and Bob as well , they bear a strong resemblance and must be very proud .

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger