commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Passing of a fellow Commando - Bob Bishop MC No 2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I too am shocked and saddened by this terrible news. I was hoping to pop around for a visit this weekend to hear about this years reunion.
As shown by the comments everyone is making Bob touched many of us with his knowledge and good humour.

Personally, I would never have went after my Dads records or found about about this site without the help of Bob and Janet .

To say he will be missed is an understatement.

Lindsay
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob may he rest in peace
[Thumb - PB080046.jpg]
 Filename PB080046.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Bob and Janet taken last saturday night at the Alex over dinner
 Filesize 135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  393 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
JOHN W
Forum Member

We cannot put into words how deeply shocked and saddened that Bob is no longer with us. I too like Sam (CREEDY 76) hugged him on Monday, the only man that i have sincerely hugged since my Father, (also # 2), and also like Sam, we were blessed that our sons Ben and Josh met him. They, like us enjoyed his and Janets company memories and humour.
A GREAT MAN, who we will all remember.
John Jan Ben and Josh White
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

The previous posts are testament to Bob's quality as a man and as a friend. He has touched so many, some in such a very short time. Let's celebrate his long life and the fact that we all had the honour and pleasure of meeting him.

If anyone wishes to send correspondence to Janet please PM me and I shall give you her address.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dark was falling when I reached the memorial at 16.30hrs.
I laid two rememberence crosses in the memorial garden infront of the Vik Ralph's memorial stone. Written on one was Bob Bishop No2 Commando RIP and on the other Bob from CVA.
Prayers were said giving thanks for Bob's life of service and for all he meant to Janet and the family and the extended family of the CVA.
Prayers were said asking for God to grant comfort, strength and peace to Janet and all the family and the extended family of the CVA.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM."
Went then to the Memorial and had two minutes silence in memory of our good friend Bob.
It was a typical highland winter night with wind driving horizontal rain across the memorial reminding us what the training was like for Bob and all his comrades.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Two Norfolks lads together
[Thumb - PB090051.jpg]
 Filename PB090051.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Ron and Bob
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  410 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob and Janet ,Achnacarry
[Thumb - PB070002.jpg]
 Filename PB070002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  369 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob's MC and decorations
[Thumb - PB090066.jpg]
 Filename PB090066.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  394 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Im still stunned. When we arrived friday morning at the Alex i was worried I had missed the coach to Achnacarry ..Couldnt remember what time it was going It was 8-50am and I rushed round the corner with my bags ,,and there stood outside the front door Bob having his crafty fag! I was so pleased to see him "Bob me ol mate!" he beamed and said "Young Steve!" He was so charming to my wife Hazel too What a gent

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill Harvey wrote:Dark was falling when I reached the memorial at 16.30hrs.
I laid two rememberence crosses in the memorial garden infront of the Vik Ralph's memorial stone. Written on one was Bob Bishop No2 Commando RIP and on the other Bob from CVA.
Prayers were said giving thanks for Bob's life of service and for all he meant to Janet and the family and the extended family of the CVA.
Prayers were said asking for God to grant comfort, strength and peace to Janet and all the family and the extended family of the CVA.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM."
Went then to the Memorial and had two minutes silence in memory of our good friend Bob.
It was a typical highland winter night with wind driving horizontal rain across the memorial reminding us what the training was like for Bob and all his comrades.

Bill Harvey

Thanks Bill.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Although I never met Bob, I would like to say how shocked and saddened I was to hear of his passing, often late at night I would get on to the CVA site and it was always nice to see that Bob was also online at the same time, my prayers and thoughts are with all of Bob's familly at this time, may he rest in peace.

Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
jackie mcginnis-schulze
Forum Member

I SPOKE TO ANDY THIS EVENING WHEN I DISCOVERED THE DEATH OF BOB. HE WAS SUCH A GENTLEMAN AND VERY HELPFUL TO ME . HE E MAILED ME CONCERNING SEVERAL OF MY QUESTIONS. HE HAD SUCH A MIND AND WAS SUCH A JOY TO ALL OF US. IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW ASK BOB, HAVE A PICTURE ASK BOB. WE WILL CERTAINLY MISS HIM. GOD DECIDED HE DIDN'T NEED TO CLIMB ANYMORE HILLS. I TOLD ANDY I COULD IMAGINE HIS OLD FRIENDS LEFT IN GRAVYARDS SAYING "HEY DID YOU HEAR BISHOP IS ON HIS WAY" WHAT A CELEBRATION. BOB BISHOP ONE OF THE GREATEST GENERATION. JACKIE SCHULZE
Di Robinson
Forum Member

I first met Bob and Janet at FW in 2007 (after corresponding by email for the previous 3 years) and was delighted to get together with them again this year (bringing my partner, Kim, with me this time). Bob was such a joy to be around, a real gentleman (but with a mischievious twinkle in his eye!). He included a piece about my Dad in his 'History of No 2 Commando' and also sent me a paperback copy, which I will cherish. I still have trouble believing he's actually gone but I have a feeling he'll be watching over the CVA to keep us all in line!

God bless you Bob - I feel like I've lost my Dad all over again.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Janet and the family

With much love and affection

Di and Kim

Di Robinson
david tudor
Forum Member

the memory of this wonderful man will stay with me all of my life and i cherish the moments i spent in companywith him and his lovely lady janet at fort william, i can still feel the warmth of bobs handshake and that marvelous kiss and cuddle from janet as we said our reluctant goodbyes just last monday.i hope bob thought of me as his friend, for my part i knew he was mine. deepest respects always, dave tudor, and the lads, tyneside
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My utmost thanks to all of you for the love and support you have given me. I will treasure all the messages and comments forever. Bob would be very honoured but embarrassed by the tribute you have given him.

I will now continue home today. My sister came to Montreal to be with me and our cousin is driving us home to Burlington. I will then print out all the wonderful letters for Bob's sons, Andy and Bob Jr.

I will keep in touch with you - Bob's and my real family.

With all my love and eternal thanks

Janet

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger