commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Hi Terry

Whilst I have no personal information about your father our site does have some good information about No.9 Commando which may be of interest to you. At the foot of the 9 Cdo history section there is a PDF file which covers up to May 1945:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=

Also the late Ronald 'Ken' Young of No.9 Cdo. was able to give us some detail about his time with No.9 and it is worth reading:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1093.page

If you have any photos of your father or any of his Commando comrades that you would like included in our gallery please contact me direct on my email address below and I will assist you in this.

Regards

Pete Rogers

Hi there

I would be most interested in them and also in putting something in our gallery about your father. i will send you a pm

Pete
Paul

I have created a personal album and placed it in the No.3 Commando gallery with a reference to this forum message. Should there be any updates/information that come to my notice I will place a message here.

Link to the album :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/nottingham/

Pete
Jennie Barlow has contacted me regarding a book about Eric Harden VC written by his daughter Julia. The book is called
Eric Harden VC RAMC (45RM Commando. My Family's Story)

Jennie adds
I've read Julia's book and it's a very tender and moving account of the life of the father she never knew

It can be purchased here:
http://www.tommiesguides.co.uk/webstore/product.asp?P_ID=170035&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=harden&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

We have information about Eric Harden VC in our gallery on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/45+RM+Commando/Henry+Eric+Harden+VC+45+RM+Cdo.jpg.html

and also some pictures of a service in Holland in 2007 on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/Holland/Misc/

We will remember them
Dale has sent a copy of the photo to me and I have responded to him. I have uploaded it here to see if it is any clearer than his original
Hi Paul

I must add my name to the list of those saying what a great job you have all done. I will add the photos to the gallery in due course and post a link to them here.

Stephen this photo has been in the public domain for some time. A larger version is in our Gallery and is listed as follows:
Royal Navy Beach Commandos aboard a Landing Craft Assault of the 529th Flotilla, Royal Navy, during a training exercise off the coast of England, 9 May 1944

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/rn+cdos/RN+Cdos.jpg.html

Pete
Hi

I can now confirm that David Walter Nottingham was in No.3 Commando and he was attached from the Recce Corps so there is the link you require. What I do not know is when he was attached to No.3 Cdo. Furthermore he went from No.3 Commando to the STC (which is likely to have been Lochailort) and then is shown as being at the Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry for some considerable time so may well have been on the staff there. He ended his Commando Service on the 9th january 1946 at the Holding Operational Commando. His date of February on the Army Service record for Gibraltar tally with when No.3 Commando went there Feb 43. but not the date of return.

So I think the paperwork is genuine. As to the photo the fact that the insignia ties in with the name and his unit adds some provenance to it being so.

As regards the name changes of the Association , they are fully covered in Henry Brown's history of the Association

Pete
Hi Paul and Nick

We have some details in the gallery about the Association. When first formed it was indeed the Old Comrades Association of the Special Service Brigade. It later was renamed the Old Comrades Association of the Army Commandos, and finally became the Commando Association. Henry Brown documented its history which can be read on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Cdo+assoc_001/

I'll contact Ron Youngman regarding his membership and see what I can discover

Pete
Hi Dale

You mention that "you think" your grandfather was in 45 RM Commando. I hope you understand that we like everything to be as historically accurate as possible on our site, most especially in our Galleries, and so I would ask you to confirm to us what information you have either from his official RN service record, or from his personal memorabilia, or elsewhere, that leads you to this conclusion. The picture may indeed be of RM Commandos but is very grainy when enlarged. Would it be possible to try and scan it at a higher resolution. Please feel free to either respond here or by pm or on my email address below.

Regards

Pete Rogers
Another booklet amongst my father's possessions has been found. Who wrote this I do not know, but I suspect it was one of the officer's of No.2 Commando. Although it does not go into great detail it does give an interesting insight and adds to the history of No.2 Cdo already on our site. At the end there is a list of numbers of casualties, and also of decorations and awards. The document was not in good order and difficult to copy but I have done my best and it can be downloaded here as a PDF file

Pete R.
I also found this Daily Telegraph obituary to Lt. Cmdr. 'Fuzz' Fyson of 2 COPP. Again off topic of the beret but worthy of reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1574370/Lt-Cdr-Fuzz-Fyson.html
Hi Rob and John

John Robertson, the administrator of the Special Forces Roll of Honour site, has an excellent section of his gallery on Combined Operations Assault Pilotage Parties (COPPs) with many individual and group photos including one of Major Colson MBE. We have a sharing arrangement with John regarding photos and sometime ago I placed the photo of Major Colson in our gallery for 2 SBS as John had that and COPP 8 as his units. Firstly if you have not seen his gallery on COPP I recommend you view all 4 pages of pictures on this link:

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/gallery.php?action=view_cat&sort=n&id=14&page=1

Additionally, as I mentioned, we have a gallery on 2 SBS which includes a document about their formation through to Feb 1944 written by their admin officer Lieut. Quigley. In there he mentions Lt Basil Eckhard arriving from ISRB on the 21st May 1942 and forming COPP, introducing them to canoeing, and going on to become 2 SBS chief instructor. It should be noted that 2 SBS did wear the Green Beret. You may wish to browse that gallery also:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/sbs/

Finally for the benefit of others, as I see Rob has already posted here, and to keep together on the one forum message the links on COPP's , there is information on the Combined Operations website which can be read on this link:

http://www.combinedops.com/COPPs.htm

Pete
This is an extract of the MOD release on the death of Marine Nigel Dean Mead . The full release with all the tributes can be read here :

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/MarineNigelDeanMeadKilledInAfghanistan.htm

It is with regret that the Ministry of Defence can confirm that Marine Nigel Dean Mead from Lima Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, Combined Force NDA (N) was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 15 May 2011.

Marine Nigel Dean Mead, 42 Commando Royal Marines

During the morning of 15 May 2011, Lima Company were conducting a cordon and search operation, partnered with the Afghan National Security Forces, of compounds suspected of being associated with Improvised Explosive Device facilitation in the Loy Mandeh Wadi in the Nad-e Ali District of Helmand Province. The location of these compounds is outside of the influence of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan which allows insurgent commanders to operate from them with a degree of impunity. Lima Company landed in a helicopter and began to move towards the compounds of interest. Shortly afterwards, Marine Mead was fatally injured in an Improvised Explosive Device blast.

Marine Nigel Dean Mead was born on 9th October 1991. He lived with his mother, Amanda, and sister in Carmarthen. He studied at Queen Elizabeth High School in Carmarthen until he joined the Royal Marines. He joined the Royal Marines on 27th October 2008, aged 17. It was Marine Mead's first employment after leaving school, and he enjoyed the demanding rigour of the Royal Marines. He passed fit for duty as a Royal Marines Commando on 3rd July 2009, as an original member of 977 Troop. He was the youngest Marine to pass out from his Troop. On completion of training he joined 8 Troop, Lima Company, 42 Commando based in Plymouth. He was involved in a number of high tempo and demanding tactical training exercises, including a 2 month amphibious deployment to the United States. He also enjoyed wider training activities such as Mountain Training. He completed the full pre-deployment training package for Operations in Afghanistan and in addition the Long Range Rifle course. Marine Mead loved his friends and family and thoroughly enjoyed his time in the Royal Marines.

Dean's Mother Amanda said:

"I could never write enough words that would truly say how much I loved and thought of you, you're not a one in a million son you are one in a hundred million. You had the most wonderful and warming personality, one that I have never seen in anyone else, nor will ever see again. You gave me strength when I most need it and you were the rock that supported me through my life. Although you turned out to be a proud and heroic Royal Marine you will always be my little blue-eyed boy. The consequences of never hearing you say the words: "I love you mam" or never again having one of your loving and comforting `cwches' and never hearing your cheeky laugh will leave me with a broken heart for the rest of my life. You will remain in my thoughts for every second of every day my most wonderful son, rest in piece my darling little soldier xxxxxx Your loving and forever Mami."

Dean's Father Philip said:

"Our Dean, our boy, our little Big Man, our hero always wanted to be a Royal Marine and he turned out to be one of the best. I am speechless at our tragic loss, but until we meet again you will forever be in our hearts. All our love Dadi and Del xxxxx."

Dean's Teenage Sister Jessica said:

"You were the most amazing brother ever, the best friend you could ever wish for and a personality you couldn't even imagine existed. You found the silver lining in everything you did, you had such a carefree spirit. You always told me to live my life to the full every day no matter what risk it may hold because tomorrow could be my last. You told me you never wanted to grow old because you wanted a young life forever. You are my big brother, my hero and you will have that young life forever captured in the wonderful photographs you have left behind for me."

Dean's Grandparents said:

"Dean you were a wonderful Grandson who made us very proud, we will always remember you and cherish your wonderful sense of humour and gentle nature. Nana Jones and Gramps xxxxx."

"Dean Bach, Our darling Grandson, we can now only send you all of our love and promise we will miss you always, a promise we will always keep." Nana and Grumpy xxxxx."

Other Family Members said:

"I wish you could be here so I could thank you for letting us become part of your family. You were like a son to me and a brother to Joe. We shall remember you forever." Captain Julio and Joe 'Pimps'

"Dean you were an inspiration to others. You were always so full of energy, always on the go with a cheeky but polite attitude and always a delight to be around. We all know that you would have had a fantastic career ahead of you but sadly your second family the Royal Marines have had that torn away from them. We are so proud of what you have achieved in such a short but full lifetime, you are a huge loss to all of us." Nige, Zoe, and Jasmine.

Dean's Best Friend, Tom Boodeny, said:

"You were my best friend for 13 fantastic years always there when I needed help or just someone to talk to. You were the one person in the whole world that I could trust I could tell you anything and you would keep it a secret like a best friend should. You were not just a good mate of mine you were befriended by everyone that you met, you were an entertainer, a peacemaker and fantastic company to be around at all times. I know it's hard to lose a member of your family, but Dean, losing a friend like you is just as painful for me. It was a great privilege for me to know that I was your pal. Missing you so much."

Lieutenant Colonel Ewen Murchison MBE RM, Commanding Officer 42 Commando Royal Marines, Coalition Force Nad-e Ali (North) said:

"Mne Nigel Dean Mead was the epitome of a Royal Marines Commando. A young man with considerable inner strength, he was selfless, warm hearted, utterly professional and took enormous pride in his job. Despite this being his first tour of Afghanistan, he was a marksman of note and an inspiration to those who worked closely with him. At the moment his life was cut tragically short, he was operating deep in insurgent controlled territory, where the threat of Improvised Explosive Devices was high, demonstrating characteristic bravery and unwavering loyalty to his fellow Marines. Deano, as he is known to his friends, has made the ultimate sacrifice. The loss of such a fine young man is felt deeply across the whole of the Commando and shows the high regard in which he was held; indeed he was a truly valued, charismatic and popular member of Lima Company and the wider 42 Commando family. In giving his life he saved others and joins an illustrious list of legends; he will be sorely missed, but his memory will live on. He died on the front line, doing the job he loved, alongside his friends who will love him forever. Our thoughts and prayers are with his mother, Amanda, his father Phil and his sister Jessica.

Warrant Officer Class 2 (Sergeant Major) Scott Brant RM, Sergeant Major, Lima Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines said:

"Marine Deano Mead wasn't a tall man but managed to walk tall in whatever duty he carried out. Quiet by nature, but loud in stature, he impressed all around him with his endless enthusiasm and zest for the Corps of the Royal Marines. A great shot with a rifle and undoubtedly a future sniper within the Corps. Never did Mne Mead complain about any task, whether dirty, clean, good or bad, which added to his unmistakeable manner of the happy go lucky man. A First class Marine and a true friend to all who served with him. He will be sorely missed by all, but never forgotten."

We will remember them
Hi all

Just to let you know I have been in touch with Jeff Gordon who will be providing us with some photos of 43 RM Commando. He will, I am pleased to say, also be joining the CVA. Here is an excellent photo he has just sent in:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/43+RM+Commando/ncos+43+rm+cdo.jpg.html

My thanks to Jeff
Bill's photo has now been placed in the 42RM Commando album and can be seen on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/42/Bill+Stoneman+42+RM+Cdo+copy.jpg.html

Rest in peace Bill

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger