commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Met last night with an old friend of my Dads - John Power of No. 4 Commando. They didnt know each other in the war but both were heavily involved in the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association when it was still going. Thought I'd put his name here in case some of his Commando mates from No.4 were about. He seemed incredbly fit and I have to say a very nice guy. I took some of my Dads old pictures of the members of the Edinburgh Branch to him and with his help managed to place some names to faces. I will post these and other WW2 Commando pics of my Dads as soon as I get a new scanner for my pc - modern technology !! Some names from the Edinburgh branch that cropped up during our conversation were Jack Wales, Stan Smith, Bill Humble, Ronnie Williamson, Hugh Hunter, Jimmy Adams, Jimmy Carrigan, Freddie Mills, Ron Crippen...

edited on 2/6/09 : one of the above names should read Jack Wells or Cpl. John "Jack" Wells. Info from Richard Wells...grandson of Jack. See this post in forum for more about Jack:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/951.page

Hi Bob, a reason the 2 names you mention may be missing is that the book appears to relate to a relatively short period of time...perhaps the end of 1942 through to August 1943. I have also found a page where all the guys have signed in pencil for the issue of one blanket dated 23rd July 1943. I find this book fascinating , and , now, an autograph book of many Commandos from 5 troop. I will bring the book along with me in November if you wish so you can have a look at it personally. The pages are fine but the covers wearing somewhat
Pete
Having only recently discovered this site I am not sure whether this may have been posted before, but I have found a copy of a magazine that my father had which details the raid in depth with some amazing pictures many from German military archives. The magazine is called "After The Battle" and the issue number is 59. Some of the pictures are quite harrowing and show the true horror of battle I have to say. If it still is in print I would highly recommend it to anyone who may be interested in the raid on Saint - Nazaire

Pete Rogers

son of Joe Rogers MM No. 2 Commando 5 troop
the final set of names from the notebook kept by my father - L/Sgt Joe Rogers MM

More of the names from the book
Some photographs I took of the names of 5 troop in thebook my father kept. I have not included some more personal details that are shown. There are 9 pages in all - 3 here, and 3 more on each of the the next 2 messages
I have found details to Private Victor Pratt in my Dads notebook he kept when in 2 Commando. I know this is a late reply but i hope it is of some use. He was a member of 5 troop - A section - No 2 Commando. His number was 5781708 and is shown as a Bren Gunner. He is shown as being 20 years old. His section officer was a Lieutenant Whitfield. I have further details as to where he was billeted and civil occupation and next of kin address . Should you require it I can forward these to you in a private message.
Regards
Pete Rogers

Hi Bob I read with great interest the article you included. A quick check against the notebook and those who served does actually show many names that need to be added. As I browsed the book I noticed pencilled in against many of the names a "K" or a "W" which I took to mean killed or wounded, and I suddenly was hit with the enormity of it all and what it must have meant for all those involved. The majority shown are in their mid 20s, the oldest aged 34, and several 20 year old lads are also included. And this was only one of the many troops of each Commando unit. I will indeed provide the details of those missing from the those who served list. Can you advise me of the best forum for this and to whom I should address the details. As regards my father Joe, he spent his post war life in Edinburgh fathering 8 of us. In his spare time - how he had any with all of us I do not know - he eventually became secretary of the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association until he passed away a few years ago. I actually went with him to attend a St Nazaire reunion in France some years back, and I will make a point of attending the Spean Bridge Memorial in November where I look forward to meeting you in person.
Pete Rogers
Hi I have recently found a notebook kept by my father with some basic information on members of this troop . My father was L/Sgt Joe Rogers MM who was a member of the troop. Also a member was Ken McAllister whose sister my father eventually married. I give thanks to being here for that one :) The book contains the names , ranks, numbers, religions, billet addresses, home addresses, marital status, regiment, age, and former occupation, and weapon issued. If any of this information is needed by anyone I would be happy to share it.

Pete Rogers

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger