commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Thanks Guy.

Is there anyone living in the Bradford area able to help out with some local research on this Commando ?

Pete
Hi Craig, Have pm?d my emai address to you
Regards
Pete
I only have the Commando diary rather than the main Brigade diary:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/2CommandoWarDiary18Sept1943

The No 2 and 41RM Commandos who died on each day of those 10 days can be viewed when searching our ROH in date view rather than by name. Here is the page covering amongst others, the action at Salerno: [View HERE.]
Hi Craig

I would be interested in seeing a copy, thanks.

Pete
Tom sitting on the bench which was placed beside the memorial commemorating the crew of HMS Affray who died when she sank . Four of Tom's comrades from the SBS died. [view names.] They were on board to carry out further training in exiting submarines etc. The submarine sank with all hands in Hurd Deep off Alderney in 1951.

Please circulate on as many social media sites as possible.
Not Commando related but keep your eye out for items stolen from an Armed Forces Veteran in a burglary in the Cambridgeshire area or online. They were stolen on the 6th January. The items include his medal collection, a watch and ring, and other personal items. He had left his house temporarily whilst work was being done to put in a chair lift and other facilities to help him.

The article with details and a couple of photos of some items is here and includes an open letter to the thief/thieves by the Veteran.

http://www.britisharmedforcesthebest.com/single-post/2018/01/08/Veteran-Anthony-Finlay-From-Cambridgeshire-Has-Had-ALL-HIS-MEDALS-STOLEN-IN-A-BURGLARY--Share-His-Message-To-The-Culprits-and-help-him-get-them-back
It is with much sadness that we advise you of the recent death on the 1st January 2018 of Tom Crosbie, known to many as Bing, who served for 23 years in the Royal Marines and SBS. Our sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

Rest in peace Tom.
It is with much sadness that Ernie Brown of the CVA advises us of the recent death of Ron Hanna.

Regret to advise our mate Ron Hanna passed on the evening of New year's Day, 1 January, at his home in Sholden, Deal, as a result of heart failure.

Originally an Airborne soldier with 289 Parachute Battery RHA and subsequently passing the All Arms Commando Course when 289 was re-roled to become 289 Commando Battery RA, Ron was a significant and highly popular member for many years who will be missed by so many that had the privilege of serving with him.

Our thoughts are with his wife Rita and sons Jamie and Cavan at this difficult time.

United we conquer.

Ernst

Rest in peace Ron.

Ron Hanna (289 Commando Battery RA) 18.11.1947 - 1.1.2018

Anyone with further information on this individual.

Unit/Base: 6 Commando
Service: Army
Died of wounds
LCpl. J. Walsh died as a result of his war wounds at the St. Lukes Hospital, Bradford on the 25th March, 1951.

[Source: Commando Association newsletter 14 issued March 1952.]
For those interested the following document relates to some of the collections held at the above military archive:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/library/archivespec/documents/archivesdocs/specialforces.pdf
Hi Everyone

In the Obituaries of Commando Association newsletter 86 of March 1988 the name of Cpl. William James Kerry, GM. (l Cdo) of Hampstead, London, is listed.

I am looking for any information relating to the award shown after his name, ie. the George Medal. Obviously this may have been awarded at anytime, not just whilst in the Commandos.

From David Tait of the St Nazaire Society

I have been in contact with the 'Parade Marshall to the Mayor of Sandwich', Mr Simon Leith. I understand that attendance to the ceremony will be by invitation only. Should you wish to attend, please would you contact Mr Leith requesting an invitation.

Town Clerk's Office
Guildhall, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9AH
Tel: 01304 617197
mayor@sandwichtowncouncil.gov.uk
Happy New Year to one and all. 🙂
75 years ago this week HMS Fidelity sank and among the casualties were the entire compliment of 40RM Commando 'T' Company.

Read more about HMS Fidelity and the Commandos who died in our archive http://www.commandoveterans.org/HMSFidelity

We will remember them.

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger