commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Transcripts from the above which shows he was training commander at the Commando School RM at Bickleigh. Lt. Col. Robert D. Houghton was the Commanding Officer.

These men have volunteered from units throughout Britain for a six-week course at Commando School, Bickleigh, Devon, and on conclusion are generally posted to the Marine Commando Brigade.

I left with the training commander, Captain J. Aubrey Smith, from the base camp, seven miles from Aviemore, on the shores of Loch Morlich, as the fingers of dawn unfolded over the horizon.

Also found a newspaper article with a photo. Not great quality.

Dundee Courier - Monday 08 February 1954
Image D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
Hi Jeff

The only thing I can add, which you may already have, is that he passed away on the 11th November 1996 aged 72. It was announced in the Navy News edition published December 1996.

Here is a page from the Navy Lists of Royal Marine Forces in 1943 with his name on
If you use our Contact Form below and select the category Requests to use wensite content and then add your request there with all the detail.

Hi Dave

Your Uncle is remembered on our website but probably with no more than you already know. Our entry is here:

There is a book ( see below ) where the author states on page 214 he has full knowledge of the circumstances but has been asked not to publish it. Not sure if you already know of the book: Northern Ireland - An Agony Continued The British Army and The Troubles 1980-1983 author Ken Wharton.

Have you a photo of your Uncle that you would like included on our website ?

Two entries from our website:
It is with great sadness that David Justice (London Branch) advises us that Harold Nethersole, No.6 Commando veteran and member of the CVA, passed away on Sunday the 4th of March 2018. There are no further details at the present time. Harold was a regular at CVA events and will be greatly missed by all who knew him. Our sincere condolences to his Family and friends.

RIP Harold.
Hi Andy

Have you any photo, in uniform or civvies, of your Uncle that you could post on here, or email it to me. so as we could include it in our gallery and on his ROH page ?

Hi Paul

On the second sheet with his postings most of these seem to be RNAS (Royal Naval Air Stations) in the UK. These were used by the Fleet Air Arm and sometimes linked to RAF bases.

Daedalus - Fleet Air Arm HQ at Lee on Solent
Merlin - RNAS at Donibristle
Landrail at Argyll and later renamed RNAS Machrihanish
Kestrel - RNAS Worthy Down
Ringtail - RNAS Burscough
Sanderling - RNAS Abbotsinch
Dipper - RNAS Henstridge in Dorset
Gannet - RNAS Eglinton Londonderry

Seafire - might be referring to the plane (squadron) Supermarine Seafire which was the naval version of the Spitfire. Kings College London have this document about the Fleet Airm Arm and it contains a list pf abbreviations used. This might help with the letters shown on the record which I thing on a previous forum message had been thought to be SSV. Could it be SSU or Squadron Servicing Unit.

The Fleet Air Arm have an association with some of the detail that the above has come from. They may be able to give you further advice.
I have just been updating our record for another from 47RM Commando and note this further quote, which may be of interest regarding the conditions, from the book by 47 RM Commando medical officer Captain John Forfar MC:

Due to weather conditions between the 2nd and 5th November casualties were not able to be evacuated and had to be retained ashore in crowded tented facilities. Eventually more than 70 were evacuated by one LCT on the 6th November, the journey to Ostend taking 10 hours due to the weather.

I should just add that the LCT was a Landing Craft Tank and it carried many of the vehicles to be used by 47 RM Commando to get ashore. The author describes in detail the incident. Briefly as the ramp was lowered to let these vehicles off the LCT received a direct hit from a shell which amongst the other vehicles that it hit was a 'Weasel' carrying flame throwing equipment. This vehicle exploded.

The book used to be available on Kindle and I highly recommend reading it.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have the detail of the headstone on their record for your Uncle. The inscription reads as follows:

Just as I last saw you
You will always
Be in my memory, son.
Gone but not forgotten,-albert-george-may/

Hello Andy and welcome to our Archive

Mne Albert George May Thatcher is remembered in our own Roll of Honour as seen below with the source of the information shown as Professor (Capt) John Forfar MC. 47RM Cdo. the author of the book 'From Omaha to the Scheldt. There the author describes the incident that led to your uncle's death. He was on board LCT 18 which was hit by a shell and many were killed or wounded by shrapnel . Your uncle died of wounds the next day. This book is an excellent account about 47RM Commando and won the Royal Marines Historical Society Award in 2005. The author was the 47RM Commando Medical Officer and later went onto to become a highly respected Professor of Medicine.

If you have a copy of a photo of your uncle we would very much like to include it in our own online Archive.
Whilst this advice remains year round, it is perhaps a good time in this particuarly cold spell to remind everyone that there is a lot of help out there for Veterans if needed. If you consider a Veteran needs help contact the most appropriate agency on our Welfare List for advice.

Stay warm.

It is with much sadness that we advise you of the recent death on Wednesday 21st February 2018 of Humphrey Lingane, aged 80, who had served in the Royal Marines with 42 Commando, and finished his 22 years as a Sergeant in 45 Commando at Condor in Arbroath. Our sincere condolences to his daughter Janet and all his Family and Friends.

Rest in peace Humphrey.
Excellent information again Guy. Many thanks. Record updated:
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger