commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Hi JSelman,
Do you have any other details? Your father's name , rank, Commando and/or parent unit - in fact any details you can! Even the Bren gunner's name may help someone remember or come up with something that will help.

Good luck,
Nick
Yes lots of research and information on there although, reading some of the messages on the Message Board, there is the occasional glitch...

Nick

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php?mode=viewc&catid=16

I found this site the other day and thought it may be of interest to some of you. There is certainly a lot of photos of Army Commandos

Cheers,
Nick
JRHMP,

As John M says there do seem to be a few anomalies with your grandfather's stories...
Do you have of your grandfather's details? (Name, rank, service number etc), I'm sure if he'd written such a long and anecdotal diary it must have had those details within it somewhere.

I also agree with John M when he says that The Commandos were not recruited from prisons - that, to me, sounds like something that the film makers in Hollywood may have dreamed up...

Nick
Dan,
The new gallery is looking good - well done.

I'm looking forward to when the albums start filling up
Nick
Admin wrote:

In the near future I will be looking for volunteers to help police the forum and the gallery.

I'd be pleased to lend a hand if it helps...
Nick
Stephen Donnison wrote:wow wow ... what a fantastic day got great pics. will post later . Geoff yr a star! You did an Awesome job. I was soo impressed with all you that I met Such great friendly lot A day to remember . Prince Phillip was a great mixer wasnt he . He made beeline for my sister and had a good chat with her
Nic, I met 2 No5 who didnt know my dad or yrs ,sorry
Im still hypo from it all!

Stephen,
Well you certainly sound as if you had a great day - only sorry I missed it.

Shame you didn't meet anyone who knew our dads but never mind - thanks for trying anyway. :D
Can't wait to see the photos...
TTT (To The Top) :D
Stephen Donnison wrote:Ok Nic we will all do our best for you
keep looking at the weather We might be ok When I first looked at the 5-day weather it said Heavy Rain but now its down to Little rain. I just hope the showground isnt under water!
Its gonna be fantastic!

Thanks Stephen,
I don't suppose the weather really matters anyway - it'll be a fantastic day I'm sure.

Have a great time,

Nick
lushershouse wrote: :D Hello Nic I have printed off some copies of your post,and any number 5`s that I meet either in the bar Saturday night or at the main event I will give them a copy,who knows what you will be able to find out....hope this will help you,take care, Denise xx

Hi Denise,
Thanks for that message - very much appreciated.
BTW I realise that you have been getting a little frustrated at the lack of response from some of the posts but, as you are very aware, these quiet and unassuming warriors are very reticent about their heroic exploits during the War and don't like to talk much about some of the atrocicities they witnessed - that seems common to them all.
Sunday's unveiling will be a great opportunity to, gently, coax some great stories from them - I envy you your opportunity!
I've bumped my original post to the top - perhaps you could print the pictures?

ever grateful,
Nick xx
Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend the unveiling ceremony but I will be there in spirit.
I really wish I could be there to rub shoulders with, and chat to, some of these great warriors - maybe meet someone who remembers my father...

I hope the weather holds and you all have a great time.

Stephen D,
This last week has been very hectic and I didn't manage to get any information, about my father, in the post to you. Thanks anyway - perhaps you could just mention his name to any of 5 Cmdo?

[Michael (Mick) Vincent Collins, 1st Battalion, Kings Royal Rifle Regiment, lived in Hounslow Middlesex)

Warmest regards to you all,
Nick
Douglas,
please (and this applies to everyone) never apologise for posting any photos or threads - they are all very interesting.
This website was formed to celebrate the bravery of The Commandos, the memory of those who are no longer with us, to learn more information about these quiet, unassuming heroes and to ensure that no one ever forgets them...
I have learnt a great deal from this website since it was started and look forward to my visits to the site and reading any new contributions with great anticipation.
Unfortunately, no-one has been able to provide me with any info about my late father but I have learnt more about 5 Commando and I really do enjoy seeing other folk finding out things about their relatives etc.

I have also met a few new friends on the site :D

Please everyone keep posting more thread and pictures and/or anything relating to The Commandos - what you may consider boring may just be the missing link for another person. :D

Best regards,
Nick
Welcome Niall,
Yes I'm intrigued as well and would love to know what it is... Surely you can tell us? and maybe a photo?

Nick
Admin wrote:
Hi Nic,

It is possible to make it mandatory for users to login before they can post. However I am conscious of the fact that many potential posters may not be "forum savvy" and I want to make it as easy as possible for people to post.
We can however make it mandatory to be logged in for specific forums, e.g. we could make this the case for "Collectors & Memorobilia" forum, but not for the "Looking for information" forum, what do you think?

Good point and I'm happy with your decisions.
The Site continues to improve and the ranks are slowly swelling. Keep up the great work guys - where ever you are

Nick
Bob Bishop wrote:

Don't be too upset, Vic, regarding the brevity of your Dad's army records. Clerks who put such things together cannot reflect the admiration we had for the signal boys who performed their tasks so well under horrendous battlefield conditions. I, for one, salute their fidelity to duty which I witnessed, and share your pride in your Dad's memory.

Kindest personal regards. Bob

Welcome Vic,
Wow, what a great reply from Bob - you must be justifiably proud of your Dad.
Good luck with your search.
Nick

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger