commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Stephen Donnison wrote:I met my dad's old captain in 1985 He told me a few things about dad in the war that i never knew and shocked me!

Shocked in a good sense I hope? :D
hockhamlain wrote:Hello John,
I have my fathers story, which he wrote shortly before he passed on in 2002,but it may be a bit long, if you would like it may be installments would be ok, here from you soon
Regards Ron

Don't worry about it being too long - it's your father's story and we would like to read it all...

Nick
Thanks for that Stephen (and to Janet & Bob for their email),

Yes I suppose it is sad but at the same time it is a happy photo - a proud Father holding his son! It is certainly one of my most valued possessions!

I'm sorry that you never actually got to meet your dad Stephen but at least you can be proud of him and celebrate his life and achievements, as I celebrate the life of my dad.

To date, as well as the memorial stone on his grave, there are two trees (one on the Isle of Wight and one in the National Botanic Garden of Wales), a commemoration brick at the CVA Memorial and a Silver platen in the RC Church in Fishguard all of which celebrate my father's life...

Perhaps that photo is of a proud son being held by his proud father...

Nick

The only photo of my dad (Mick) and me!
He was already looking very ill and, sadly, he died when I was a year old.
geoffmurray1 wrote:Bob, the pat on the back goes to Dan Mewett, the Forum and Gallery are brilliant and just what we needed. Dan and myself are hoping to get together on my return to add even more facilities including an online payment facility for subs and merchandise. Cheers Dan.
UWC

Well said that man!
But don't be modest Geoff, you too deserve a pat on the back - as does Bob B for all his first hand experiences...
A great forum which is growing on a daily basis.
The promise of more facilities and articles etc is really exciting.
Great work guys!
Welcome to the CVA forum Steve,

I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say that I'm looking forward to reading your article.
Great photos Stephane - especially the Newhaven ones. Keep them coming. :D
Stephane,
Look forward to seeing those photos - the more the merrier...
Nick
Hi Lee,
Welcome to the CVA forum and very good luck with your search and research into your grandfather's military service.
I have particular interest in your quest as my father, Michael (Mick) Collins, also served in No 5 Commando.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been much information about No 5 on the forum yet but your query has certainly given me great hope that someone else will join and give us info about Mick & Wilf.
I'm quite excited now...
Cheers,
Nick
Thought I'd post this clipping as previously I thought it was when Mick was still in KRRC - before he'd volunteered for the Commandos; however, on reflection it would appear that, given that he was born in October 1925 and that the clipping describes him as 21, this must make it 9th February '47??

Oh how very confusing!

Ron,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.
I'm afraid you're in the same boat as the majority of us on the forum - our fathers, grandfathers, uncles etc were proud, brave and very modest - they had a job to do and they got on with it - no fuss and no bragging.

Afterwards, for their own reasons, they didn't/don't talk a lot a about their experiences.
That is, of course, a great shame as, 60+ years later, we still know next to nothing about their personal experiences; however, at the same time that also makes them a very special breed of men - no exploiting their bravery, no 'cashing in' by publishing books [like some of the modern Special Forces have done in recent times].

Let us be truly proud of these guys and let them never be forgotten. Let us, by means of this forum, be the ones that tell their story.

Nick
lushershouse wrote:hello Nic,have you thought about writing a piece and having it printed in "dispatches"?? i think you`d hit a wider audience that way as a lot of the men that i spoke to at the weekend don`t go on the internet,just a thought!! Have you booked FW yet?? Bye,take care,Denise xx

Yes, that's a great idea Denise, I'm going to start working on that right now.

Cheers,
Nick xx
Steph,
Great photos.
Thanks for helping to keep the memories of these brave heroes alive and reassuring us that they will be remembered

bon chance,
nick
Hi JS,
The more you get to know about the Commandos the more you will realise that, as well as their bravery and tenacity, one of the things they all have in common is their quiet, unassuming modesty - they all had a job to do and so they all just got on and did it. No fuss, no bragging.

We are all looking for information (pukka gen) about our own fathers/grandfathers but, and I'm sure I speak for everyone on this site, we would also welcome any of your father's stories...

First hand accounts are extremely valuable pieces of information that go to make up the true, untold story of the Commandos.

Good luck,
Nick

Lauren,
Hi I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of trying to improve your photo - hope it helps in your search...

Nick

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger