commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Peter Cooper
Forum Index » Profile for Peter Cooper » Messages posted by Peter Cooper
Phil,
It woud be interesting to see the photo you have. Could you post it onto the site for us all to see please ?
My father always knew him as Don.
Absolutely brilliant and an excellent choice of music too. It brought tears to my eyes.
I must admit the scene looks very much like Italy.
Use this link to read the obituary of Colonel George Lane. He served with SOE, 4 Commando and 10 Commando.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/special-forces-obituaries/7528727/Colonel-George-Lane.html
Brilliant, Geoff. It says it all .

Peter
These German prisoners are seen on the beach at Flushing after the assault on the town.
Some info from my father. It was a two week course run by Lt. Col. Armstrong who was 72 at the time my father was there. I have a copy of his book, Fieldcraft, Sniping and Intelligence, written in 1942.
Evidently, it was mainly Royal Marine Commandos on the course with some Army Commandos and one or two from the regular army. Most of the men were selected for the course but volunteers were interviewed and if they seemed suitable were sent.
I hope this is of some help.
He was my dad's corporal when No. 4 were in Holland. He remembers him well. A troop later became 1 troop.
This cutting describes how the three commandos were chosen to be models for the Spean Bridge Commando memorial.
My father, Dennis Cooper, took part in this sniper course at the Royal Marines Small Arms School at Gosport. He is on left of the back row.
Mark,
This Sam Cooper was in No. 4 Commando and is mentioned in Donald Gilchrist's book, Don't Cry for Me'. I would have thought the chances of any pre-war TT riders also joining the Commandos would be very slim.
I live in the Isle of Man so have access to the Manx museum. If you had any possible names I could see if the museum could match them.

Peter
I have found a reference to a Sam Cooper (no relation) who was a pre-war TT rider. He was at Normandy but I have no idea if he was also at Dieppe. Hope this is of some help.

Peter Cooper
Wow, those two ships certainly had a busy war. I'm surprised they both survived. An incredibly interesting story.
Hi Pete,
Your photo of a MGB with Campbeltown appears to a Fairmile 'B' Motor Launch. One of my hobbies, when I have time, is making scale model warships and I have several reference books on coastal craft.

Peter

Forum Index » Profile for Peter Cooper » Messages posted by Peter Cooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger