commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: markh
Forum Index » Profile for markh » Messages posted by markh
Hi Sonny, by requesting the records, you can see what was actually recorded at the time, and work from there, see if that matches the family version of events.

Hi Jordan, a very sad story indeed. I recall my granddad mentioning a few training deaths and accidents during war time, all the worse being just after WW2 had ended.

I would try applying to the MOD for his service records, see what was recorded. I appreciate you wrote that you found the fee a bit steep. Perhaps you and some interested family members could share the fee ?

Although Sonny passed away, he is being remembered here.

Good luck with your search Jordan, and be sure to let us know what else you find.
Great photo, thanks for sharing it
Thanks for sharing those photos and documents of your dad with everyone. You must be very proud of your Dad.

Do you remember any of your dad's service stories you can share with us ?

Thanks again for your kindness in sharing photos, and in doing so, helping to preserve them for posterity. Somebody might one day spot their relative in the group photos, as I was lucky enough to find a few of my late granddad on this site.

Thanks Phil for your work, and to John for creating this site.

What is gutting is that after 75 years or more we have lost so much graffiti through exposure to the elements, vandalism and mould, and much of what does survives is indecipherable.

This maybe nonsense, but I wonder if viewing the graffiti under UV -Ultra Violet - light might show extra detail ? I realise if the scratchings are physically eroded there may be not much left, but I remembered how space probes
photograph planets in various light frequencies, which show up different details.

Here, and I realise animal skin is a different material, they reveal ink graffiti.

Now, with the aid of UV light, PhD student Myriah Williams and Professor Paul Russel of the University of Cambridge have spent the last three years uncovering these mysterious etchings from the book?s animal skin pages ? and revealing hordes of ghostly doodles in the process.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/uv-light-reveals-ghostly-graffiti-in-medieval-manuscrip-1695706365

Just an idea !
Excellent. Put me down for a copy please. I will PM you Phil.

First a big thank you to Ceira and madmal for sharing your father's memories and all those photos.

For the photo taken at Eastney Barracks, I've transcribed the text, in the hope somebody searching for a relative finds a picture of them.

No 40(B) R.M.S 2nd Class Qualifying course
22nd July to 27th October 1943

Mnes Richardson, Priestly, Draper, Roche, McCarthy, Sumner, Perry

Mnes Jacobs, Hunnybun, Sweetman, Ridge, Davison, Miles, Allsop, Nield-Siddall, Brigss, Goodenough

Mns Townrow, Lowerson, Sharpe, Cpl. Dowling, QMSI Brown, Captain W.T.N Hopper, C/Sergt Simmonds, Mnes Dawkins, Almeroth, Hunnysett, Parkes

Photo by Wright and Logan, Southsea, UK
Taken at Eastney Barracks

According to this link, the Wright and Logan collection of negatives is now owned by the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth
http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/15707/Wright-and-Logan#.VssIpJyLR3I

"2,296,000 photographs;"
http://www.nmrn.org.uk/research/collections

Braganza caught my eye, Nick mentioned it in another thread.

H.M.S. Braganza (a Royal Naval establishment in Bombay).

https://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4941.page

On HMS Copra, scroll to last post here and there are some details taken from a National Archives document.
https://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4246.page

Also out of interest, the type of landingcraft in the picture Nick provided is a Landing Craft (Mechanised MK 1 - LCM(1), which was also used by Canadians in the Dieppe raid earlier in the war.

In this link you can see a loaded Landing craft from the front.
https://www.battlefieldhistorian.com/bhc000607_dieppe_canadian_troops.asp
Here is my attempt at spotting missing or entries with typos/missing data.
Of course I may have missed a few, so more eyes that check the better.

Summary - see below for details

Found 3 missing Names
Found about 17 with typos, missing etc.

In places initials or middlenames are separated by a fullstops, others a comma, or none. Should make consistent as Noel Rabouhans mentioned.

Where we have the data, can we add a column for age or date of birth ? Especially, as sadly, there are more recent Commandos who have died young - one my age I noted. It may be of interest to future researchers, and gives more colour to their later life stories.

Looking at S-Z surnames in http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

Missing from new MR page http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesS-Z
==================================================================

Mne. George William SAVINGS (47 & 48RM Cdo,, 45 Cdo RM) died 24th October 2002
Frederick George SMITH (No 9 Cdo) died 25th May 2009 aged 88 - there is another George smith of 5 commando
Jimmy SMITH (No 1 Cdo) died 20th Feb 1982

Needs updating on new MR page due to typo or missing information in
from http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesS-Z

Colonel David SMILEY (52 ME Cdo) died 9th January 2009 aged 92 years - shown as Major
STEVENS J.P Capt 43 RM NK - change fullstop to comma for intials
STOKES JA Tsm 44 RM 1991 - add comma for intials i.e J,A
STORER William H.B. 'bill' Cpl 4 Cdo Bde 2012-03-24 - intials
TEASDALE Henry Eirvin Fus 4 & 6 2015-01-14 - replace & should be 4,6 for units
TIEFENBRUNNER Maurice Sgt 51 MEC 2013-07-24 - MEC in other places its ME
Lt Col. Charles VAUGHAN OBE (Commanding Officer of the CBTC and founder member of the Commando Association) died April 1968 -- add date of death
L/Cpl. John E. WALKER (1 Bde Sigs) - missing Initial E.
Capt. T.G. Allan WALKER (No 2 Cdo) died 20th June 1964 - missing "Alan" from name
WARREN J.W. 'Joe' Pte 12. 6 2012-08-26 - unit 12. 6 should be 12,6
Pte RD WARWICK (Van Wyk) (10 IA Cdo) - missing "Van wyk"
TSM John Yates WHARF (No 4 Cdo) died 1978 - missing year of death
WOODS PM Tpr 3 NK - add comma intials
YOUNG FW Mne 44 RM 1991 - add comma intials
Ronald 'Ken' YOUNG (No 9 Cdo) died 19 December 2009 - missing nickname 'ken'
ZENTNER Dolphi Pte 51 MEC 2003-06-12 - MEC in other places its ME

I will look at S-Z now...
Here is my attempt at spotting missing entries or typos/missing data.
Of course I may have missed a few, so more eyes that check the better.

Summary - see below for details
Found 8 unlisted people - double checked
Found a few duplicates on the new MR page
Found a number of entries where information was missing, eg nicknames, middle names, intials etc. were not shown on the new MR page.

Looking at M-R surnames in http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

Missing from new MR page http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R

Ossie MILLER No 2 Cdo died 17 December 2010 aged 89
Michael NAUGHTON (No 9 Cdo) died 3rd June 2015
Douglas Alexander NEISH, ISO (No 1/5 Cdo) died 11th September 2015 aged 89
Pte. Maurice William OAKLEY (No 6 Cdo)
Pte. John E. PHILP (No 6 Cdo)
Ernest E. REID (No 1 Cdo) died 1st October 2015
LCpl Albert Le RIGOLEUR (Nos 10IA & 4 Cdo)
Desmond ROCHFORD (No 2 Cdo) died 1st September 2015

Needs updating on new MR page due to typo or missing information in from http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R

Sgt RL MOPPETT (No's 10 & 4 Cdo) - listed as MOPPET i.e one T, missing initial
Captain' Mickie' O'BRIEN MC (47 RM Cdo) died 29 August 2011 aged 89 - Listed as "O.BRIEN"
Sir Thomas 'Tommy' MACPHERSON CBE, MC, TD, DL (No 11 Cdo &SAS) died 6th November 2014
A/CSM Herbert MALLORIE MM (46RM Cdo) died 19th January 2015 - different date of death
WO2 Douggie MANN (Cdo Ordinance Field Park) died September 2009
Herbert John MANNING (45RM Commando) died 18th August 2013 aged 89 - missing middle name john
Sgt Donald Hugh MARTIN (No 4 Cdo) died 4th April 2000 aged 81 - Only intials shown, use full name
Robert McPherson MAUGHAN (No 9 Cdo) died 10th Feb 1967 - missing middle name
McCONKEY Richard Mne 40 RM 2000-10-11 - Listed twice
Jack Stephen McGEORGE (47RM Cdo) died 25 Feb 1990 - missing middle name
Patrick McVEIGH DCM (No 4 Cdo) died 25 July 2012 aged 99 - missing DCM
**MEWETT Robert Pte 12, 1 1977-09-04 - Listed twice
Sidney J MILES (No 2 Cdo) died 5 March 2011 - missing intial
Pte Ivor S MILLS (No 1 Cdo) died February 2013 - missing intial
LCpl Leonard D MILLS (No 6 Cdo) - missing intial
Lt (later Major) John F MILLS (No 7 Cdo) - missing intial
Gnr. Robert MILNE (No 2 Cdo) died 1969 aged 56 - missing year of death

**MORT Alex Sgt 2 2002-12-19 - Same person as below ?
**MORT Alexander Tsm 2 NK
Bill NEWELL (Royal Canadian Beach Cdo - W1 Section) died 5 March 2012 aged 87 - missing detail
Capt. Joe NICHOLL MC (No 2 Cdo) died 19th July 2003 - missing MC and date of death.
L/Cpl. Ronald NIGHTINGALE (No 1 Cdo) died 23rd November 1991 - missing date of death.
Sig. James Albert NORTON (1 Cdo Bde Sigs) died 4 November 1968 aged 47 - missing middle name
T.S.M. Andrew J. O'MARAH (No 1 Cdo&142 Cdo Coy) died 28 March 1974 - missing intial
Sgt. Vincent 'Ossie' OSBORNE MM (No 3 Cdo) died 10 December 2007 aged 85 - missing nickname
William Edwin PARKER (No 4 Cdo) died 21st December 2013 aged 95 -missing nickname
Dr John K PATERSON (No 1 Cdo) died 12 July 2012 aged 91 - missing Dr title, initial
2/Lt. G.R. PATTERSON (No 2 Cdo) - listed as rank of LT
Haydon Bertram PAUL (No 6 Cdo) - missing middle name
L/Cpl.S. PAWSON (No 1 Cdo) of Ancoats, Manchester died 2008 - missing place of death
**Norris PEAK (43RM Cdo) died 14 March 1995 - Listed twice
**Lt Derek PEEL (No 9 Cdo) died 1980- Listed twice
Jim PETRIE (No 6 Cdo) died April 2015 - missing first name
Captain Hedley J. PHILLIPS OBE QPM DL (48 RM Cdo) died August 2011 - missing awards and intial
Lewis Arthur 'Larry' PHILLIPS (No 4 Cdo) died 30 May 2013 aged 93 - missing nickname and middle name
Sidney Harold PICKERING (41RM Cdo) died 16 March 2004 aged 83 - missing middle name
Sgt Alexander Beverley PIRIE MM (RM Engineer Cdo 3tp) died 4 February 1998 - missing middle name
Maj. (later Col) Gordon POLLARD, OBE, MC, MM died 12th August 1964 - missing awards, listed as Maj.
Colonel Patrick Anthony PORTEOUS VC died 9th October 2000 aged 82 - missing middle name
Wilston Patrick 'Knocker' POWELL (Cdo Ordnance Squadron) died 18th September 2014 - missing nickname, middle name
Ernest William POYNTZ (No 1 Cdo) died December 2009 - missing middle name
Sgt Francis William 'Frank' PREECE (No 4 Cdo) died 18th July 2002 aged 83 - missing nickname,middle name
Rfn. Ronald W. PRIOR (3 Bde) - Missing intial, typo shows Cfn instead of Rfn
RSM John L (Jack) QUARRIE BEM (9 Cdo) died 1 January 2010 - missing intial, BEM
Pte. William Patrick READ (No 3 Cdo) - Missing middle name
Terence 'Terry' Patrick REARDON (No 1 Cdo) died 12 September 2011 aged 92 - missing nickname
Lt. Bernard Raymond REYNOLDS (46RM Cdo) died 28th September 2014 - missing middle name
Philip Henry RIDER (44 RM Cdo) died 28 February 2013 - missing middle name
Jim RIDGEWAY (40 Cdo RM) died 18 March 2010 aged 73 - Missing first name
Pearson 'Digger' RIGG MM (No 3 Cdo) of Whitley Bay died 19 April 2012 aged 90 - typo shown as "Pearon", missing award
Fus Harold RILEY (No 6 Cdo) of Manchester in May 2008 - missing "of manchester"
David Alan Eccles ROBERTS (30 Assault Unit) died March 2012 - Missing "eccles" from name
Cpl. Douglas L. ROBERTS (Nos 12 & 5 Cdo) - missing initial
Peter 'Wobbly' ROBERTS 59 Cdo RE/131 Cdo RE died 14 September 2010 aged 63 - Missing nickname
CSM. Eric Charles RODDIS (3 Cdo) - Missing middle name, listed as TSM not CSM
**Pte. Steve ROLLINS (1 Cdo Bde) died 1991 - Listed twice
Captain George A ROUTLEDGE No 4 Cdo died 25 December 2010 aged 93 - Missing initial
LCpl Eric D ROWLANDS (No 6 Cdo) - missing initial
Alfred Ernest RUSDALE (No 1 Cdo) died 16 July 2008 - Missing middle name
Philip Arthur RUSSELL (No 3 Cdo) died February 2009 aged 94 - Missing middle name
Major Ted RUSTON MC (RA attd 1 Cdo Bde) died 30th December 2014 aged 99 - Missing middlename, awards

^Pete R. All the above have been dealt with. I'm pleased to say that Graham's list did include all the missing middle names, and these have now been added. On the rank of Pryor, CFN is not a typo and is correct, rank of Craftsman (he was REME). On Roddis CSM and TSM are one and the same. Both are seen used. In No 3 Cdo they called all lowest ranks, ie. Pte's Gnrs etc as Troopers. However on records they are often listed as per their Regimental record. Medal awards will be added in due course to all on the M-R section and the S-Z section (partially completed). All others have been done.

I will take M-R
Happy New Year all.
It was June 1940 - the dark days of World War Two - and Britain were retreating from the beaches of Dunkirk.
But as the British Expeditionary Force licked its wounds, Prime Minister Winston Churchill demanded action.
And that was how a now long-retired mid Wales farmer found himself as part of a specially assembled fighting force of 115 men.
Their daring raid went on to inspire the Commandos, and special forces like the SAS and the US Army Rangers.
But it is only now that 96-year-old Ted Jones from Welshpool has been able to piece together the significance of that night in France - the night Britain launched Operation Collar.

It was only after talking to friends in the Welshpool Royal Welch Fusiliers group that they put the times and places together and worked it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-33244760

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Collar_(commando_raid)
The DVD is £7.50 + P&P

Contact
Sonja McLachlan
West Highland Museum
01397 702169
[email protected]

Forum Index » Profile for markh » Messages posted by markh
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger