commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: MBrockway
Forum Index » Profile for MBrockway » Messages posted by MBrockway
Folks,
My mother as a wee girl spent the first half of WW2 in Ayr where her father Allan MUIR was posted as a Ministry vet.

They lived in Carwinshoch View in the south part of the town near to the old racecourse at Seafield.

She remembers with great fondness three commandos who were billeted with them sometime in the period 1939-1942

She remembers them as Tom, Bill and Syd.

Sadly she thinks one of the three was killed in Norway (possibly at Narvik?) while another fell in Europe.

She is confident they were all from the Liverpool Scottish and at least one of them was an NCO.

Tom had a sister Josie who later visited our family in Worcestershire and we kept in touch with her until the 1950s but then lost contact.

We have been trying to identify these three men for about ten years, including contacting the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Museum in Liverpool but with little progress.

Recently however we have tentatively identified Tom as Pte Tom McCORMACK, 2930404, 1st (Liverpool Scottish) Bn., Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and 5 Troop, No. 2 Commando who died age 25 on 11 April 1942 as a POW from wounds sustained at the St Nazaire Raid a few days earlier.

Can anyone help us identify who exactly were Bill and Syd? There are several possible men in 5 Troop.

Also can anyone also confirm that Tom is indeed Tom McCormack?

Are there any records of billeting surviving?

My mother is very anxious to re-establish contact with these brave men and their families. I'd be very grateful for any help from the Pals here. :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Forum Index » Profile for MBrockway » Messages posted by MBrockway
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger