commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Hi Steve....my sister visists John on a regular basis and is actually seeing him this afternoon. I have provided her with the details of both your dad and Bill Harveys dad to see if John knew them. I will private message you both with any information I get.

Pete
The 1st one is from the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association - John Power, Stan Smith, my dad, and several others;
the second is of my dad Joe Rogers
Thanks guys for your replies and Nic thanks for the info. The photo paper the picture is printed on is much thinner than any of the other pics I have which goes along with your explanation. I am glad it can be clearly seen when downloaded. I particularly like the picture , not only as I have family in it, but because the striking figure of the officer in the middle of his men , dressed as he is, seems to add a great deal to the overall effect
This is a photo possibly taken at Warrington on one of the old Commando Assoiciation meets..front centre is my Uncle Ken McAllister, to his right, I believe is a guy called "Tiny" Burke...next to him may be Les Horrobin...although not sure on that...I am judging it on the photo i previously posted of these guys just back from Norway in 1940. My Dads behind the guy to Ken' s left

View this photo in the 2 Commando gallery [HERE]..
This is a link to a United States Military Intelligence Report to its War Office on the British Commandos dated 9th August 1942. In depth and interesting report on set up, training, weaponry, combat tactics, and a review of actions up until then

*** edited with new link 24/6/12 ****

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87281230/British-Commandos-Special-Series-No-1

The picture is of 5 troop. The CO and his men. A fine picture I think.

Correction 6.8.2020
The House is Nunfield House and not as shown Nuffield.
Location 65 Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, DG1 1JX.
View in Gallery [HERE....].
click on the link to a good picture of 4 Commando in action

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:House_to_house_fighting_at_Riva_Bella_near_Ouistreham.jpg
I believe in using the power of the media as a tool to promote good causes and without a doubt the CVA is a good cause. With such a poignant time of the year as Remembrance Sunday approaching, when so many veterans, their relatives ,family and friends, and others from all walks of life, get together to honour the fallen, a suitable Press Release with information about the CVA and this website I hope has already been considered. The emphasis should be made on membership availability for past, and present, Green Beret holders . I was unaware of the CVA myself until I found it by chance on the web. My application for associate membership to Geoff is now on way. Perhaps an information page about the CVA that could be downloaded and distributed by existing members might help. The Home page here with the picture and welcome message and including the website details would be all that was needed. Any such advertising however might result in an increase in communication requests to the CVA so that should be taken into consideration also. If these things have been done already then I apologise but without ideas where would be
Hi Keith I remember taking my father to a Commando Association function in Warrington many years ago. I think this was an annual event. I cannot assist with anything further although I am sure someone will be able to
This photo was taken in Kirkintilloch, Scotland, on their return from Norway 1940. All these details are on the back.
Back row : Bob Lowson, Hugo Wynne,Arthur Ashcroft, "Tiny" Burke, Jack Cheetham, Les Horrobin;
Kneeling : Gerry Wilson, my Uncle Ken McAllister, Terry Jackson
front row: ??? Harrington, Eddie Prout and Nat Hayes.

A great pic and I can see why they nicknamed him "Tiny"

Here is a link to the Norway operations

http://www.nuav.net/commando.html
H Jim in addition to my private message to you please look in forum under recent topics and you will see one i recently posted titled 4 Commando and about your Uncle. There is a request from Bill Harvey to see if your Uncle John knew his dad Gunner William (Bill) Harvey. Perhaps you could ask John.

Pete
The 1st is my Dad, Stan Smith and another Commando whose name unfortunatley I don't know. They were all in the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association.

The 2nd is of 3 soldiers with my Uncle, Ken McAllister, of 2 Commando , in the middle. Not sure of the names of the other 2. On the back of this photo is written " Nov 1940, Paignton, Devon"
Hi Bob thank you for taking the time and effort to investigate the photo...All the names you mention I recall my dad as mentioning at some time , and some I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting. Thanks again.

Pete
Found this article on a linked site concerning the Commando Green Beret.
For those that don't know it makes interesting reading.

http://www.stnazairesociety.org/Archives/greenberet.html
Hi thanks Nic. I have a few more and have asked Geoff Murray the best way to get them posted rather than doing them individually here...but yes the quality of the one i posted is great
Pete

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger