commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Gavin
Forum Index » Profile for Gavin » Messages posted by Gavin
Number 2 Commando Volunteered for Chariot St Nazaire in Ml 177 Special Tasks Party with TSM Haines, and other L'pool Scots, l/Sgt J Rennie, L/Cpl W Blythe, and W A Hughes. Awarded MM for making it to Gibralter. He was later a publican in Windsor, and later Lord Mayor of Windsor. (I think)
Thats great thanks Boys
Thats great, one down.
Great to see them fit and well in the gallery.
Whilst browsing the gallery came across photos of these two individuals, searched the site and could not find further references, am I just being dense, shed some light please.
I came across a reference to a Drum Major James Morton in the Iniskillens who served in Kenya Mau Mau
Who was POW RM Commandos at Dieppe

ply/x101213 Marine J A Morton POW No. 25804 Camp IIIA.
A quick check on the War graves gives up

GARTHWAITE, WILLIAM OWEN

HECKMAN, EDWARD PERCY HENRY

Both 4 Commando for Dieppe

If you read the page '57' the writer talk of hearing the Battery going up.
Thanks for the reply john,

The names mentioned for D-Day seem to tie up, the Italian Cockney Medic ties up with Pte Orlando Farnese
Cpl Frederick George Maskell and Pte Frederick Burkitt all killed 6th June 1944.
Found some pictures on the Imperial War Museum site

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll?AC=NEXT_RECORD&XC=/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll&BU=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iwmcollections.org.uk%2FqryPhotoImg.php&TN=Uncat&SN=AUTO30263&SE=4715&RN=139&MR=25&TR=0&TX=1000&ES=0&CS=1&XP=&RF=phoResults&EF=&DF=phoDetails&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=1&ID=&MF=WPENGMSG.INI&MQ=&TI=0&DT=&ST=0&IR=0&NR=0&NB=10&SV=0&BG=0&FG=0&QS=
n
geoffmurray1 wrote:I have emailed Jimmy Dunning to see if he can shed any light on this.

I will update accordingly as soon as he gets back to me.

Regards

Did Mr Dunning ever get back to you with his thoughts ?
Well reasoned out Mark, I agree we will have to wait for Mr Dunning, he may know it or of it. Gavin.
Thanks Mark, I think from the lack of progress it might have been a private publication ? Gavin.
Can you or anyone check to see if the pages tie up. Thanks.
Pete wrote:hopefully this is Pte Ivan Fennessey

No keep going the one to his left. Gavin.
Here is a picture of Knocker White and Herbert at the palace when they went of their investiture, White was DCM for Vagso Herbert was MM for Dunkirk (I think) He was later Killed. Knocker White served at Loften and at Commando Bridge Italy. Just before Normandy he was late on a couple of parades and was RTU. Which Peter Young admitted was hard to do but nessecary.
The Pic is from a book of Commando and Special forces insignia.

Forum Index » Profile for Gavin » Messages posted by Gavin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger