commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando, 24 Wellington Square, Ayr  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Paul Wills
Forum Member

Hi All,

Very interested in the below and general history

I believe my Grandfather may have been attached to No. 2. My family were from there Ayr.
I have done much research but still many gaps.....

He was Major William Wills with the 4/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers, posted to No 1 Independent Company. Posted to No. 4 Liaison HQ as intelligence officer.
Early 40's involved in Narvick campaign and was liaison officer with the Polish in Scotland.
Question - Did No 1 Independent become a Commado group? ie No 2
Later was involved with 1st Polish armoured Division, 21st army group, 11th armoured division. Sadly killed in July 44, possibly Operation Goodwood.

Am trying to find of there was a link with the commandos and training and operations?

Brian - Some of your information now makes sense below. ie St Nazaire as i cannot find any info from Jan 41 to May 42.
My Great Great Grandfather was Lord provost of Ayr - James Wills -
He and his son William formed part of Afflecks of Ayr.

I know gone off track with that but researching my family too

Any help / advice welcome

Any help would be appreciated.
82JY
Forum Member

Hi Pete

My grandfather, Douglas Brown, was in 1 troop of 2 commando, stationed in Ayr. How would I go about finding copies of the No 2 commando war diaries?

Thanks

Justin

Pete wrote:Hi Brian

No. 2 Commando moved from Perth to Ayr on the 9th October 1941 in rather rushed circumstances due to their being some trouble in Perth at a Dance Hall between the Polish soldiers there and the Commandos. On arrival in Ayr No.2 Commando was not ready to be housed in billets as normal and so were initially split with 1, 4, and 6 Troops staying temporarily in Churchill Barracks Ayr, the remainder residing in Dam Park Camp and Eglinton House, Ayr. On the 17th October the Commandos were "let loose in Ayr to find their own billets." The initial H.Q. building used was Eglinton House Ayr where the Officers were residing. I believe this is very close to Wellington Square. These details are from the No. 2 Commando War Diary covering that period.

Unfortunately I do not have the War Diary for 1942 but I do know the No.2 Commando held some parades at Wellington Square. Eric Buckmaster of No.2 Commando gave an account which is in the details of a photo taken in Wellington Square I believe. That account can be read here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/scan0142a.jpg.html

Additionally we have an account by Bob Bishop of No.2 Commando on this website and he specifically mentions their HQ in 1942 being at No.2 Wellington Square. From his accounts we believe the HQ was at No.2 Wellington Square by at least May 1942. So it may be that in the original few weeks/months after their move in 1941 the HQ at Eglinton House was simply where the Officers were living.

I also have the addresses of where those from 5 Troop were billeted in Ayr in 1942. I am hoping someone may see this that has the No. 2 Commando War Diary for 1942 and can provide specifics relating to your property.

All of No.2 Commando left the UK for Gibraltar and the Mediterranean theatre of war in early 1943.
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Justin

I have reposted your message into a separate forum thread for clarity. It can be accessed on the link below. I will respond on that link so as to avoid confusion and ask you to do the same please in any reply you might make. Many thanks

https://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/8640.page

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger