commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete Keane
Forum Index » Profile for Pete Keane » Messages posted by Pete Keane
Am I correct in thinking that as soldiers were 'attached' to the commando unit they served in, they would retain their original regimental service number?
Ta.
I have been trying to find details / roster of the personnel who were part of this unit when it was formed into the Chindits commando section - from what I can see it was a combination of the Bush Warfare Training School & Sappers.

There's a fair amount of info. on the chindits generally, but little specifically about the commando company.

I am going to post on chindit forums as well, but thought it worthwhile also asking here.

Regards

Pete.
Thanks for the detail.

I spoke to my dad, Jim didn't mention his transport being damaged, so I dont think he was on the Ranchi.

My dad thought it was earlier in 1943, and that the boat sailed via South Africa rather than the Med., but until I can get the info. from his records a lot of this is guesswork based on half-remembered stories!

I tried to pin down the bombing on the Clyde - I doubt it was Helensburgh, more likely Greenock/Gourock, they seemed to have been bombed throughtout though, so its impossible ti identify a single event.

I am awaiting the scanned photo still.

Thanks for the help so far.
I am trying to put together some information on my grandfather, James Patrick KEANE.

I have a few bits already, and will be sending off the forms for his army records as soon as I understand how to fill them in !

In the meantime....

Jim was drafted into the army in 1940, he went into the South Lancashire Regiment, I believe he was there for 2 years until he volunteered for a Commando unit.

He trained in Scotland, 1942/43. He completed a parachute course at Ringway. Following training he was stationed somewhere *like* the Hebrides, and was involved in some raids from there.

In 1943 he was sent to Burma, apparently the night they embarked the port was bombed and the troops were disembarked to assist with the aftermath of the bombing.

From Burma he went out to India, coming back in 1946.

Upon return, they caught a train from the port to *Wrexham* , arriving late at night. Upon arrival they were demobbed, given 10 shillings and a travel warrant home to Manchester.

I have a photo of him taken in Burma, in a slouch hat - I will scan it and attach it as soon as I work out how to use a scanner......

I dont know which Commando he could have been in - my dad thought it was 3 Commando but I think he is confusing this with 3 Commando Brigade in Burma, I guess this points to either 1 or 5 Commando?

I dont know if there are unit rosters available, but if there are I would appreciate any help.

Regards

Pete Keane

Forum Index » Profile for Pete Keane » Messages posted by Pete Keane
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger