commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete Keane
Forum Index » Profile for Pete Keane » Messages posted by Pete Keane
Tony

I will be meeting up with another South Lancs old boy after d-day, I will ask if he knows of the families whereabouts.

Pete
Hi Kevin

Not sure if there is a problem with my pc - I have tried to add posts but they disappear!

I had a look at the war diary again, and it doesnt quite say what I read:

'Composition of 142 Regt to be HQ and 8 sections (one to each column)'

Quite agree with your view of Bush Warfare Training School - it woul be interesting to obtain that units war diary if it existed.

Regards

Pete
Ignore my comment about 142 being spread along the Columns, thats not quite what it says.

'Composition of 142 Regiment to be HQ and 8 Sections (one to each column)'

is the sentence as written.

Nick,

If your guys were killed in Burma, I wonder if they were part of the Bush Warfare Training School, I wonder if a unit war diary exists for it?

Cheers

Pete
Hi Kevin,

I got the section about being trained for the 77th Columns from the unit war Diary.

There is constant flow of men between the 3 units, for training I guess. they are shown as taken on strength of 142, but taken off later on, which fits with the army system of showing where men were at a particular time.

I have found a similar thing with the 7th Bn South Lancs Regt - they were responsible for infantry jungle warfare training (as opposed to the commano style), men who were part of another regiment are shown as TOS 7th Bn. PWV Jungle Warfare Training, then TOS some weeks later.

I have reached a hiatus with Major English, i was going to ask whoever lives in his house now if they had any info, but it is no longer known by its name. I spoke to the local Legion but they didnt know the name.

Cheers

Pete

Nick,

I had a look through the War diary for 142 Commando Company.

The unit was formed on 15th June 42, there is nothing in the diary relating to these men, although Officers comings and goings are recorded, as are deaths in training.

The unit doesnt appear to have been in combat.

They could have been from the Jungle Warfare Training School, or possibly even SAS from Saugor?

Its interesting reading, right at the begining it defines its role as to be spread along the Columns of Wingates 77th Brigade, and the diary from June until Dec 42 shows constant training to this end.

The Bush Warfare Training School is a seperate entity, but there is constant cross-posting between the two. Also 204 Mission personnel are back and forward.

I thought it was an amalgam of the three, but they are clearly three closely-linked but individually defined units.

Cheers

Pete
Lander !!!

I have a great interest in the Lander family - if he originates in the Staffs or Warwickshire area I would be interested in his details.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Chris,

I have been trying to trace the children of Major English, who headed 204 Mission, to see if his memoirs were committed to print, without great success it must be said.

I have a copy of the 142 Commando Company war diary - my interest is in Lt A V Earle, who was a South Lancs officer, a trainer at 142, and then a Chindit.

If I have any more success I will let you know.

Regards

Pete
Well, some success.

We now have 31 personnel from 142 Commando Company identified - primarily from Longcloth records.

As to which of these were Commandos, and which were Royal Engineers or other units, its a bit difficult to say, as none are identified by a Commando unit, only by original Regts if at all.

Logically, the next step would be to work on 204 Mission personnel, but I think I might do something easier for a while....

The chap doing the real work has sent me a database of names, I will try and post it up here for reference.

Regards

Pete
Pete,

Thats excellent, thank you.

Will keep an eye out for a copy.

Once the Chindit column was committed, the instructors from Maymyo were attached, whilst Mission 204 went off to China. I need to differentiate between the Maymyo staff and Mission 204 personnel, but I have a feeling the passage of time may defeat me in looking for such detail !

Regards

Pete.
Ok, bit long winded this, but here goes....

Am helping a friend collate a definitive list of British troops taking part in the first Chindit Operation, Longcloth.

This has also expanded to include a list of British prisoners at Rangoon Jail.

Included in the personnel will be the training staff from 142 Commando Company (see seperate threads) - both Bernard Ferguson in 'Beyond the Chindwin' and Louis Allen in 'Burma - The Longest War', mention that the commandoes and engineers from this unit were absorbed into the Columns (Mike Calvert was the units last commander).

A letter from 142's commander at initial formation (Major English), mentions it was formed with Commandos from the middle east.

So, my question is......

Who are these Commandoes, or what unit would they be from?

They would have been posted late 1941 / early 1942?

Once I have an idea of the unit, I can use geoffs search engine to search for casualties in the right place/right time (or wrong place/wrong time really..).

Appreciate any help.

Pete.
Yes, I did think that the independent coys were earlier.

Spoke to a friend in the RBL at Axminster, but no luck - that would have been too easy!

Regards

Pete
I will see if I can find him - lot of years since then, but worth the effort.

He is definite about Middle East commandos, also 9 Ind Coy and Force 136.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Pete.

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your swift reply.

The chap on the left has 3 pips, the one at the back 2, and the chap on the right pips not visible.

A Lieutenant would have 2 pips?

The Major lived quite near me (Axminster). If you have a last known address I can make some enquiries, alterneately, do you recall what his parent Regt was?

Regards

Pete
Hi Kevin,

Lt. Earle from the war diary - he is held in Rangoon Jail with other Longcloth soldiers in 1943, and is then taken away by the Kampei. (Hi is a captain by then).

It looks like he was at 142 Commando Coy prior to calverts arrival, I'm wondering if he was one of the original staff drawn from Commando units from North Africa.

You have a photo from Maymyo - can you post it ?

I am still in contact with an ex S.lancs soldier/ commando, am going to see if he can remember the name or face.

Cheers

Pete
If its not 'It had to be tough' by James Dunning then possibly another of his books

http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Fourth-No-Commando-1940-45/product-reviews/0750930950/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The style of writing shows the author was there, which limits it a little!

Regards

Pete

Forum Index » Profile for Pete Keane » Messages posted by Pete Keane
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger