commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jack.S.No1
Forum Index » Profile for Jack.S.No1 » Messages posted by Jack.S.No1
I have just taken photos of L/C Bowles at Oxford Rose Hill Cemetery and L/C Harold Simpson at Witney. Will send them on. I will be visiting Cardiff Western Cemetery - CSM Harold James Coleman and St Mellons Church - Randall Emerson Connop Price within the next few weeks. Elaine
My Dad (John Charles Hughes Southworth, M.M.) was in No 1 Commando, and on his war rcord he was shown as Colour Sergeant Major. (C.S.M.) whilst in the Commandos.
Hi Ailsa
Dad remembers Capt Davidson with pride. If you have a photograph of him, is it possible to copy it for me. so that I can place it in my Dads folder. Elaine
Hi Andy
I can confirm that 'Operation Bristle' involved No 1 Commando, as my father Sgt. John Charles Hughes Southworth M.M. (known as Jack) was in 4 Troop and took part in that raid. The beach was St Cecile and I was lucky to visit in March this year, on my way to St Nazaire for the 70 Anniversary of 'Operation Chariot'. I believe the raid was on the night of the 3 June/early morning of the 4 June, and appeared on the front page of the Daily Sketch on 5 June 1942. Thanks for the link to the newsreel, I am certainly going to order a copy if possible. Elaine
My father was John C H Southworth MM , of No 1 Commando - 4 Troop. He served alongside Capt Davidson (known as 'Granite') in Operation Torch, and my Dad's account of the battle of Sedjenane 1 is on the CVA website. There is also an article on the 16 Durham Light Infantry website - under gallantry awards for Commandos and 'the White Flag' which you mayalso find interesting.
Elaine
So sorry to hear your tragic news. My thoughts are with you all.
I am a fairly new member of CVA and just noticed your enquiry. My late father was in Capt. Davidson's troop and fought alongside him in Operation Torch. Both Capt. Davidson and my father received bravery awards in the same battle. My father was John (Jack) C.H. Southworth, and he was awarded the M.M., whilst Capt. Davidson was awarded the M.C. I have a copy of his actual citation from No 1 HQ. I will be sending this to Andy Maine to put on the Gallery. Capt Davidson is also mentioned on the website of the 16 Durham Light Infantry - Commando awards, and in James Dunnings new book ' When Shall Their Glory Fade (Page 110). Elaine
Andy, thank you so much, I would love a copy. Elaine.
Thought you might like to know I was looking through the CVA website and stopped at Letters/Documents. I came across a concert programme for No 1 Commando in India, and my Dad was shown as a Stage Director I never realised he was involved in the 'Theatre' and he might have been a possible Steven Spielberg. I was beginnng to think I would'nt find any more on him. What a fabulous website this is. It has certainly encouraged me to search for any other hidden treasures. Elaine.
Hi Nick
As you know my father is also on this tape.When you meet Mr Hill would you be kind enough to ask him if he remembers anything else about my Dad. Many thanks. Elaine.
Hi Steve
By co-incidence, there was a programme on BBC /Wales TV this morning called 'Country Tracks' It was on at about 11o'clock. It showed Ben Nevis and then had present day scenes from a Commando Training Centre which I believe was near Glencoe and used in WW2. There does not seem to be an e-mail address for BBC Wales so I am writing to them to find out if it is possible to obtain a copy of the programme. It may be possible for you to find this programme on the I-Player. Elaine
Many thanks to you both Nick and Andy. Will forward address asap. Elaine.
Andy, I do have some photos of Dad including some prior to/and whilst in Burma. I also have quite a few from Winchester 1995 including the wreath which was laid and the message on it can be clearly read. I took a film at the time from the Cathedral to the final evening. Although my intention was to film my Dad, many of No 1 including Col. Trevor and the city mayor are obviously on it. have now had this put onto DVD. I also have a DVD/some photos of many of the Commando Reunions throughout the years, the programme from Dartmouth 1991, some photos of the event and a typed list of names/addresses of all those No 1 Commandos who contributed to it. If you can use any of this info let me know.
Thanks for all your prompt responses. Andy, I would love to have a copy of the photo at Winchester in 1943. I informed Pete Rogers last year that Dad was No 305 and he updated the photo for me. I have already requested a copy of Dads war record and hope to receive it within the next two months, and I also have a copy of the No 1 War Diary from IWM. Nick, thanks for the link to Sedjenane, I have read the 16 DLI website as Dad provided Tom Tunney with some of the information. I have a copy of a report from the Army Film Unit on the battle, together with Dad's 's original transcript and his drawing/map of the layout of the battle area. In my file I have Dad's notes on the set up of the T/A's, SWB/Commandos from the start, the formation of the special services, and the final assault by British and Americans at Bizerta.These have never been seen before. I also hold the original telegram from Commando HQ congratulating him on his M.M., and the original letter from Combined Operations Headquarters and King George VI doing the same. If there is anything else out there I would love to hear about it. Thanks Elaine
I am trying to find any information or photographs about my late father, John Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane). He was known as 'Jack'and was with Davidson Troop and was also at Achnacarry where I believe he was a trainer in the use of small arms (revolvers) for a while -sometime in 1943. I understand he was then posted to Burma with No 1/5 Commando.

Forum Index » Profile for Jack.S.No1 » Messages posted by Jack.S.No1
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger