commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Douglas "Granite" Malcolm Davidson, No1 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We are researching my partners great uncle, Captain Douglas Malcolm Davidson, nickname "Granite".
He was in 1 Commando and KIA 19/3/1943 and is buried at Bones Cemetery, Algiers.

Thanks for any help,

Posted for David Reason
By Colin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 07:33:28

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi David. I'm sure you already have this information, but here goes. From the War Graves Commission:

"Name: DAVIDSON, DOUGLAS MALCOLM
Initials: D M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers
Secondary Regiment: Commando
Secondary Unit Text: and No. 1
Date of Death: 16/03/1943
Service No: 105288
Awards: M C
Additional information: Son of Thomas Malcolm and Millicent Phoebe Davidson, of Purley, Surrey; husband of Leslie Mary Davidson, of Bromham, Wiltshire. His brother Allan Godfrey also fell.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. B. 7.
Cemetery: BONE WAR CEMETERY, ANNABA "

The write up about his M.C. has the following:

" ...attached to Special Service Troops.... In recognition of gallant and distinguished services in North Africa. Since died of wounds L.G. 22.4.43"

Best of luck in your search.

Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Bob, for your prompt response with so much detail.
I'm sure this will help in David's search of Captain Davidson's service history.

Regards,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Collin
My father was also a member of No1 Commando (Hugh Maines) and as part of my ongoing research I have recently been contacted by the daughter of another member of No1 (Edward Fitzgerald) who has loaned me a number of documents. One of these is a programme comemorating No1's return to Winchester in1995, Winchester being their last home base before being sent overseas to Burma. This programme is very interesting as it lists all the names of those who were KIA and the theatre of ops that they fell in, it also lists the decorations awarded and the names of the recipients. I have checked through the prog and can confirm that Captain Douglas Malcolm Davidson's name is included. Although my father's name is not mentioned I have had a colour copy made to add to my research material. If you do not already have a copy of this doc and would like a copy for yourself please let me know and I would be more than happy to send you one (sorry can't e-mail this don't have a scanner yet!) :) :)
cheers

Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

I am a fairly new member of CVA and just noticed your enquiry. My late father was in Capt. Davidson's troop and fought alongside him in Operation Torch. Both Capt. Davidson and my father received bravery awards in the same battle. My father was John (Jack) C.H. Southworth, and he was awarded the M.M., whilst Capt. Davidson was awarded the M.C. I have a copy of his actual citation from No 1 HQ. I will be sending this to Andy Maine to put on the Gallery. Capt Davidson is also mentioned on the website of the 16 Durham Light Infantry - Commando awards, and in James Dunnings new book ' When Shall Their Glory Fade (Page 110). Elaine

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
Ailsa
Forum Member

Thankyou so much for the information regarding my Great uncle Douglas Davidson. He was a very special man alongside his brother Alan. I idolised their pictures as a child, and saw first hand how their deaths destroyed our family.
I have ordered the book you mentioned from Amazon!
Granite was well loved by the men he served with and I felt this clearly from the letters his wife received after his death.
I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

Kind regards

Ailsa Macduff ( Douglas Davidsons great niece)
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Hi Ailsa
Dad remembers Capt Davidson with pride. If you have a photograph of him, is it possible to copy it for me. so that I can place it in my Dads folder. Elaine

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
Ailsa
Forum Member

I will sort that out asap!!

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1942/3/davidsonallan.html
[Thumb - capt.-douglas-m.-davidson-m.c.-south-wales-borderers-no-1-commando.jpg]
 Filename capt.-douglas-m.-davidson-m.c.-south-wales-borderers-no-1-commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  431 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/09/2012 01:24:38

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger