commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GUY
Forum Index » Profile for GUY » Messages posted by GUY
Flasetta,
Could this be your Leonard?

Leonard William PENN
8th March 1925 - 2Q 1997 Hackney, London

Obituary Leonard William (Inky) PENN M.M. (6 Commando)
The Commando Association Newsletter No.105 September 1997 of Hackney, London

Marriage Jean C. WATERTON 1Q 1948 Hackney, London?

Good luck with your research
Guy

Hi Jacky,
There is a bmd record for a James Wilson BYRNE born in 1927, in the Yoker & Scotstoun area of Glasgow.
Could this be your father?
Guy
David,
I believe that Charles William Holmes (born 20th September 1915) is your uncle. In 1939 he was a plumber residing at 3 Charlton Cottages, School Road, Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire, with Emma Evans (his grandmother)
His army service number was 5682443 and he was serving with the 7th Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. He was wounded in action at Salerno, Italy on 9th September 1943.
News of his wounding was reported in the Gloucestershire Echo 11th October 1943. His father, S.R. Holmes, is mentioned.
You could apply for his service records which would confirm if he served with the Commandos?
Guy
P.M. me and I can send you the full page from the Cheltenham Echo

David,
Was your uncle's full name Charles William Holmes born 20th September 1915?
Guy
During the war the U.S. 8th Airforce built their base hospital in the Ashton Wold wood.

Ashton Wold wood
Lt. George Lane of 3 Troop 10 Commando married Miriam Louisa Rothschild in August 1943. In November 1945 she gifted 520 acres of woodland and fields of the Ashton Wold estate in memory of the deeds of the men of 3 Troop 10 Commando.
The woodland borders the Lutton Road which runs between the villages of Polebrook and Lutton in Northamptonshire.

Of interest, directly to the south of the wood and Lutton Road lies the site of what was once R.A.F. Polebrook. It was taken over in 1942 by the U.S.A.A.F. It was from Polebrook that elements of the 97th Bombardment Group took off on the 19th August 1942 to bomb Abbeville airfield in support of the Dieppe raid.

Little remains of the airfield, the original entrance on the Lutton Road leads down to ww2 era J Type hanger.

Bernard Edward WOODCOCK
4th September 1911, Norwich, Norfolk - 31st August 1994 Thorpe End, Norwich, Norfolk aged 82
John & Bill
Hester Birmingham married David ALexander GEMMELL at Troon in 1966
There is a photograph of Hester on the Haywards Heath Golf Club Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/HaywardsHeathGolfClub/posts/hester-gemmell-has-won-the-langmead-cup-with-an-excellent-702nd-was-lorna-tuttle/2228690443851344/

I will forward an address by P.M.
Guy
John,
Christopher Birmingham had three children:

Hester N. Birmingham born in 1943
Christopher John Birmingham 1945 -2010
Robert J Birmingham born in 1950

Guy
John Shephard wrote:Now for names. The one man that my parents kept in touch with for many years after the war was Christopher Birmingham who lived in Troon. He was I think in G Troop (later it seems to become B Troop?). He must have been at Lofoten and seen active service before he stayed with us. The quietest of the four, but with natural Irish charm.

John & Nick

Christopher Birmingham was born in Ireland in 1920. 4 Commando were billeted in Troon, this is where he met and married his wife in March 1941. Sadly, he died in Troon on 10th October 2005 aged 85

Guy
Pete,
Unfortunately, there is no mention of L/Cpl. Blinman in the war diary.
Guy
Pete,
Lance Corporal Blinman's wife posted an 'In Memoriam' notice in the Wiltshire Times 4th December 1943, this includes a reference to 6 Commando.
Guy
Pete,
Thank you very much
Guy
An interesting Commando, 1st S.A.S. grouping.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8046473/WWII-archive-belonging-one-original-members-goes-auction.html

Forum Index » Profile for GUY » Messages posted by GUY
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger