commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GUY
Forum Index » Profile for GUY » Messages posted by GUY
Stuart,
I have found a reference that I believe relates to Corporal Henderson in Trooper Thomas' Military Medal citation.

During the battle for the Essel bridgehead on 11th April 1945, No.3 Commando were heavily counter attacked. Trp. Thomas was in a forward exposed position and 15 enemy were within 50 yards of his slit trench. He was wounded in the shoulder and a NCO beside him in the slit trench, was killed at the beginning of the action.

Your Grandfather was the only NCO to be KIA on the 11/4/45. L/C Davies was also a casaulty on the same day, but died of wounds.

I hope this helps

Regards

Guy
Stuart, I wondered if you knew if Corporal L. Newell who was KIA at Berneval was in 1 Troop?
Many thanks in advance
Guy
Hi Fletch,
Take a look at the 3 Commando Troop photographs when they were attending the street fighting school at Limehouse. There are various Thompsons, all look like earlier models now in use with stick rather than drum magazines. See what you think?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/

Interested in your thoughts of these at Wesel?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/Edwin+Dunford+in+Ruins+of+Wessel+-+March+1945+1.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

regards

Guy

CSM Ronald Grove (RTR) 3 Commando was captured at Berneval, 19th August 1942. He recieved a MID, gazetted June 1946. Imprisoned at Stalag VIIIB/344 from September 1942 until 30th April 1945.

"From July 1943 onwards he played a leading part in the escape organisation in the camp and for his outstanding work in this connection he has been highly praised by S.B.M.C(?) and senior N.C.O."

Pete,
I found a reference for the 15th April 1945 of the 3 Commando Padre holding a C of E service in the woods in the Aller bridgehead with a grid reference. It doesn't relate directly to the burials of Thistlewood and Henderson, but it must be close.
Guy
Some excellent photographs from their recent exercise

http://news.uk.msn.com/royal-marine-commandos-train-in-us-desert?ocid=obr#image=1
Thank you John, My copy is the 1973 edition with no index.
Please could anyone tell me if there is an edition of the book published with an index.
Many thanks in advance
Guy
Pete,
Many thanks for that, I will give that a try.
Regards
Guy
James E Ferrie of 6 Troop and 3 Troop, 3 Commando. I am trying to find some information on this Commando, can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance
Thank you for the replies.

Both photographs are 3 Commando, taken in 1941.

The best resolution is found on the Hughes photograph, in the gallery. It will increase in size when clicked. The bullion cap badge looks like a Beds and Herts badge.

The second photograph, which shows the Commando who has been "awarded" the badge twice (they appear to be pinned one over the other) is a scan from the original, which is not in my possession. That is the the highest resolution I can offer at the moment. He is the only Commando in the group with this badge. Hughes and this Trooper are the only two Commando's I have seen with this badge.

I will seek permission to share the photograph.

Guy
I have added a variant found on another Commando's uniform.
I have noticed a badge on the breast pocket of a Commando which I wondered if anyone could explain?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/Lance+Sergeant+Hughes.jpg.html

Thanks in advance

Guy
Pete, Many thanks for that. It is another inaccuracy in the Saunders Dieppe book. There appear to be several in the chapter relating to 3 Commando's actions at Berneval.

Guy
I have found a Private F Easterbrook of the Devonshire Regiment listed as wounded in the 12th February 1942 edition of the Western Daily Press.

Forum Index » Profile for GUY » Messages posted by GUY
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger