commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
B Troop no. 2 Section, 42 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Karon
Forum Private

I have a silk map of Malaya which belonged to my dad who was in 42 Commando. There are signatures around the edges of the map and I thought I would share these names with you should anybody be interested in tracking down their relatives. The names are rather faded but I think they are:-

WH Grant-Hanlon (my dad)
WH Elliot , Cromwell Rd, Sprowston, Norwich
JAG Hopwood, Eastwick Cottages, Burnham on Crouch
Sargeant Eadle, Hoxton Road, Scarborough
WJ Wilkins, Aston, Birmingham
JC Haynes, Avondale Rd, Eastbourne
J Marran, Wakefield Yorkshire
J Allway, Horsley, Gloucs
J Holly or Holby, Bromley
Sargeant Major Buzzard, Windsor
Captain VC Soddrington, Pennant
Luiet VP Wilson, Oxford
Brigadier Mansfield, Bermondsey

Hope this can be of use.

Karon
[Email]
JMHaynes
Forum Private

Hi, I'm a relative of JC Haynes - he was my grandad. Do you think you could send me a photograph of the map?

I'd really appreciate it, as I don;t have much to remember him by and I only recently found out that he was a Commando.
Thank you so much.

John Mark Haynes
markh
Forum Captain
[Avatar]

Hi Karon, what a great momento and record of your dad and others. thanks for sharing the names, what a nice surprise for John !

If you feel you can, could you share a photo of the map with the site, we all all intrigued to see it. Indeed, any other photos of your dad would also be welcomed.

Karon posted about her dad back in May 2009
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/940.page#3863

Hopefully John and Karon can pool their research given the possible connection between WH Grant-Hanlon and JC Haynes, Avondale Rd, Eastbourne

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 11/11/2012 16:09:58

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Karon
Forum Private

How great to hear from you ! I have since heard from another forum member whose relative was listed and unfortunately had to reply to her similarly - since moving house I have had to place most of our non-essential belongings into storage until we can complete works on our present house, unfortunately these include the memorabilia from dad such as the map and photos. If there was a way to retrieve them without emptying out a shipping container I would, but I am sorry that I cant access them more readily.

Rest assured that when I can I will most certainly get them scanned and posted, I could also send copies should you require.

Have you managed to find out much about your grandad's service ? I would be interested what you find out.

Best regards

Karon

Karon
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger